New and confused.

Options
Hi there my name is Troy I'm 32. I am currently trying to journey to through the path of being a healthier happier person. My goal is to reach 85 kg. I am Currently 108 kg. I have been at my heaviest ... 120 kg. 179cm (which I think is 5ft 8.xx")

I have been using this application for awhile now but not religiously. But I am hoping to turn that around. One of the many things that crosses my mind when it comes to dieting and exercising is this..... is there a right way of doing it (obviously there are wrong ways). And what is it... with all these fad diets, work out programs etc it is a bit overwhelming and when one does try to research your compounded by biased reviews.

And using this application is not really helping relieve the confusion. For one thing..... does the calories burned even count what a person burns through out the day during their daily work routine? heck you even burn energy in your sleep.

And .... I can even find specific exercises and how much they burn. Strength exercises for example do not even give a calorie burn off.... and this also gives a inaccurate measure. Other things like your rate of metabolism aren't even considered I believe (and how do you even work that out?).

Sorry if this is getting into a rant and seemingly negative but it's times when I'm confused I lost total motivation to try my hardest (and believe me I can push myself pretty hard when it comes to it).

Any feed back, critique etc is welcomed. And friends to help me along away with tips etc would be most appreciated.

Kind regards,

Troy

Replies

• CajunTess
    CajunTess Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Your daily activity should not be counted in your calories burned, unless you are doing extra strenuous activity that is above your normal activity. Do not take back and eat your calories burned on normal activity. Only count your workouts and what is above and beyond normal activity.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    It's actually pretty simple - calories in vs calories out - how you burn the calories is your business. Daily activity is already accounted for in the daily calorie allowance so just stick to the number generated by the rate at which you want to lose (1lb/week, 2lb/week, etc.).

the thing with the exercise programs is that you need to find one that works for YOU and that you will definitely keep up with (meaning that you will stick with the program). You should also choose a program and stick with it long enough for the program to have a chance (2-3 weeks minimum) before you ditch it and start another program because the first didn't produce 'miracle results overnight'.

For calories burned, with cardio it's pretty easy to get a good average number for what a particular activity will burn. This is not a true statement for weight lifting because there are so many variables that affect the number of calories burned - amount lifted, number of reps, number of sets, time between sets, speed of reps, and so on. You can try getting a heart-rate-monitor and it will help with the calories burned during cardio style workouts but unless you are doing something like an insanity workout with weights, the numbers for lifting are sporadic and shouldn't be trusted.

Also, do not ever eat all of your exercise calories back - all of the numbers whether from this site or from a heart rate monitor are just estimates so you should always err on the side of caution in this.
  • MsTia36
    MsTia36 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I am back after being gone for almost a year. I fell off the wagon for awhile, gained about 50 more pounds and now I am having a real hard time. I have tried every diet in the book, and even considered gastric bypass surgery. I am a food addict and struggling to say no is my daily battle. I want to succeed this time around. So please add me and let's encourage one another. I can't do this alone. Thanks everyone. <3
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you already know some things to do since you have lost 12kg. Don't sell yourself short. Just keep building on what has worked. You don't have to be perfect right away, just keep making better habits and it will get easier and easier.
  • simply_cidalia
    simply_cidalia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The app actually calculates an approximate rate of metabolism based on what you input for gender, height, weight, and current fitness level and uses that to give you the number of calories you should aim for to attain your goal.

If your job is quite active, factor that in and set your initial calculation to lightly or moderately active, depending how active you are on your job.

Personally, I set mine to sedentary to get a caloric base (what I need to just breathe and exist) because my daily activity has never helped me lose weight nor kept me from gaining. Any additional calories I burn through extra physical activity is extra that I can eat if I need to.

• coeus83
    coeus83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the fast replies.

I bet others feel the same way here that healthy foods tend to be more expensive than take out and junk food (hear me out on this one before saying it isn't).

For one you have prep the food, if I was to be organised enough I would do this once a week and have it all portioned out. And then there is the cooking times etc.

example.... 1 kg of boneless skinless chicken... here in NZ typically goes for about $15-$17 .... that's one item. You can get a lot more for that in terms of crap food. Soy and Almond milk etc is ridiculously high.

(I'm sure there have been many threads and discussions around supermarkets and morals around healthier eating so I'm not even going to get into that).

Now I know people say go to your local market to pick up fresh produce etc. Or someone might even say hey try a vegan diet.... but I love my meat.

How does one get the best value out of their shop? do you shop to a calorie total.... ? do you just buy in bulk and hope all the fresh stuff doesn't welt and rot before you get to eat it? or are you a day by day buyer?

• deneenae
    deneenae Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    hey, it looks like you got a lot of good advice on the metabolism part. Only thing I'll add is I eat half my calories back to help me fuel for my next workout and prevent muscle loss.

Also, about the eating healthy on a budget I hear you. I'm a student... but my slight advantage is that I have a bachelor's in nutrition... so I've kind picked up the ropes on how to buy healthy food on a budget. But here's some pretty good tips I've learned along the way:

-homemade foods are usually cheaper than buying convenience foods. Especially casseroles and stews, which you can freeze in portions. Now if you're gonna say what about fast food, well of course that might be cheaper and it's fine in moderation, but in the long run it could be more expensive (think chronic diseases and hospital bills due to unhealthy eating and being sedentary). As long as it fits in your calorie goal and is not every single day, I say go ahead. Also, think if a person eats out 3 times a day at $10 each time, that's $30 just in one day! what can you get at the grocery store that's $30 and will probably stretch out to other days?

-Don't feel pressured to buy en vogue "health" foods, like chia seeds, almond milk, soy milk, kale, goji berries. They are expensive. Stick with the basics (carrots, apples, bananas, cucumbers, beans, whatever is local for you), especially if you're new to eating healthier. you're right, all this health information is too much to take in at once, so make it easier on yourself. Once you've got the hang of eating foods in their more natural forms, then you can "advance" should you choose.

-always buy fruits/vegetables in season or when on sale. Don't feel like you "should" be buying the expensive stuff like kale, berries, and other "exotic" sounding stuff... You can also get canned and frozen fruits and veggies if you're worried about it going bad. Those are totally fine, just make sure to get the ones packed in their own juice and low sodium.

-With fresh produce you can pre-portion it out and put them in baggies so it's grab and go. My usuals are carrots (those are super cheap), apples (cheap), and bananas (those come in natural packages)

-Buy other foods in bulk and on sale. If there's a really good sale on chicken, get it and freeze them! Also, if you have a store that sells foods from bins in bulk, do that. It's usually cheaper than buying it in packages... that's like rice, oatmeal, nuts, beans, grains, etc.

-DON'T buy "healthy" convenience food. It's such a rip off! I've seen stores selling pre-portioned packs of almonds, cheese, yogurt and baby carrots. You can get the bulk items of these and pre-portion on your own. Sometimes it is necessary though, so it's your decision on what you want to make compromises on. For instance, I like the individual yogurts when I know I'm gonna have a busy week.

-when you do cook, double or triple the recipe so you can save the rest for later (freeze, refrigerate). That way you can eat healthy when you're in a rush.

-Finally, take it one step at a time. focus on one thing at a time. You don't have to do everything at once. it takes trial and error in figuring out what works best for you. You know yourself the best and what works for someone else might not work for you.
  • deneenae
    deneenae Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I meant I'll eat half my exercise calories back