Looks great BUT does anyone actually stick to this program?

Options
I have no intentions to fail and I am on a mission to succeed and lose the desired weight and equally as important: get fit! I just entered my first day and am curious what the average data-entry-days are. It seems labor intensive. I am not saying I won't engage; merely asking if YOU actually enter your food and exercise every day and do you think it facilitates better results for you?

Replies

• 3p0l0v3sU
    3p0l0v3sU Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Do i think it facilitates a better result? Yes. Do i do it every day? No. I think its a good place to start, but once you begin to cheet the system a little and define your own rules and boundaries its much more sustainable (and therefore effective)
  • 3p0l0v3sU
    3p0l0v3sU Posts: 34 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Boop boop!
  • allenalrayes21
    allenalrayes21 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    for me personally i only used MFP to calculate my macros and calorie count. Beside that i used an iifym calculator which told me how much i needed to eat and was very accurate on giving me numbers based on my size and my weekly activity. So to me this app was just a reference.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    It gets less labour-intensive the more you do it.

Most people eat similar foods quite often and so build up a repertoire of foods and meals that are unique to them. Same thing with exercise. Once you get into the habit of logging it, it becomes as simple as brushing your teeth - it's just something you do for yourself and your health every day. :)

I've lost over 75 lbs in under a year, so, yes, it works. ;)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    LOTS of folks.
    I don't, generally, count calories (I'm trying to maintain), but some of my friends here have logged for several YEARS and have been steadily losing.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Logging my food is the only way I have ever lost weight, kept it off, and then even gained some back by CHOICE at the rate I chose. I am in complete control.

I logged about 500 days straight minus christmas or a holiday here or there and just took my first logging break last week. I can log a days worth of food in a couple of minutes.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I weigh and log everything I eat. I became fat by not doing this. I am losing weight now and find it only takes a few minutes out of my day, especially if I pre-log my day. It's amazing how those calories add up. If I didn't do this I would just see my weight going up again. Trust me. Once you get the hang of it, it will become second nature. Welcome to MFP.
  • dcmiles37
    dcmiles37 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The more you do it, it becomes less labor intensive. I am starting over to complete my 40 day vision challenge. It works for me.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I log, weigh and measure, but I'm doing this with my husband, and I do all of the shopping and cooking, so basically I'm logging for both of us. He logs every couple of days or so, and it's mostly his 'out-to-lunch with coworkers' that he has to worry about.

We were using a different system before, one that his doctor set us up with and it was terrible. Just entering our dinner salads into the registry took an hour! MFP is so simple to use, and has such an extensive database, that it seems easy, especially after the last system.
  • krystenaj
    krystenaj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the same concerns when I first started, but my doctor wanted me to log for 7 days and I stumbled on MFP. I have logged for over 60 days now and lost 15 lbs---something I have never been able to do before. Even on the days I feel awful and depressed, I still log--even if I know I screwed up and ate something that wasn't a great choice.

It definitely works, and, as others have said, it gets easier the longer you do it and it learns more what you normally eat :)
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've been weighing and logging my food for 622 days and lost 25 pounds by this method, with about 10 pounds more to lose. That may not seem like a very impressive result, but considering my age (69) and sedentary lifestyle, I'm really happy with my progress.
  • rmerriman721
    rmerriman721 Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I started with another application. Found it did not track everything I felt I needed. I have been using MFP for about 10 months now entering calories for ever meal, snacks and my daily supplements. I have not missed entering a single meal since I started. I put recipes in as I cook a new one. I create frequent meals that I eat and the supplements I take. At first, it seemed like a lot. Even overwhelming but now I spend from 10 seconds to a few minutes at the end of each meal and it is not even inconvenient. It is just habit. As you use the app and get better with it, you find a lot of shortcuts and get a lot faster. The key for me is to do it immediately or take a photo of my plate if for some reason I can't.
  • achocolateaffair
    achocolateaffair Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh yes! I have lost almost 30 pounds in 6 months! I mean I think that's pretty good. I could've lost it quicker but I'm not into hunger lol! Yes I do log most every single day what I eat and I do log into MFP to at least cheer my friends on even if I didn't do so well myself that particular day. This is the ONLY thing that has ever worked for me.