trying to lose weight to improve chances of pregnancy

Options
Hi there. I'm a thirty-five year old teacher with the loveliest 2.5 year old daughter. I was heavier than I wanted to be when I got pregnant with her, and then gained more than I needed during pregnancy. All of this makes me feel... like less than the person I want to be.

To add to the pressure, we've been trying to add to our family for the last year and a half, and have struggled: one miscarriage and a whole lot of negative pregnancy tests. I know there are so many reasons why one might or might not get pregnant -- including my age -- but I also know that my extra pounds don't help me out. They may contribute to a hormone imbalance, and just as importantly, they fuel my discouragement. (As in, I feel bad about myself and I eat more and I gain more weight and then I have another month of not being pregnant and I feel more discouraged and gross and start the cycle again... all the while getting older and compounding the problems.)

I'd like to shoot for a 50 lb. weight loss -- for me, but even more so that my daughter can have a sibling before it's too late for me.

Are you in a similar boat? Want to help keep each other accountable? I'd love to have some Fitness buddies.

Replies

• katkiv22
    katkiv22 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Did I write this post? I'm so sorry for your fertility struggles. I have a similar story, right down to the year and a half of nothing. To add to it I now have clomid weight to lose! With IUI (and potentially IVF) on the horizon I'd like to be as healthy as possible to up our chances as much as possible.

All the best to you!
  • Doing_me
    Doing_me Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    70lbs to loose and trying for baby number 1! Feel free to friend me.
  • hollyhmurray
    hollyhmurray Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think I've found the right group for me. I had a d and c two days ago for my second miscarriage and today I feel heartbroken and down about it. We are yet to have children. I have a lot of guilt about being overweight and not carrying these pregnancies full term, even though doctors chalk it up to chromosomes. I want to be healthy before, during, and after pregnancy and I hope that we don't have to spend so much time trying to conceive again as it was 14 months between miscarriages. I hope we can all help each other out. I have an appointment with a therapist for the first time today and I think that will help me talk through the guilt and the grief, and then I need to get healthy physically. I am also a teacher so I feel like I am always planning and helping other people, but I am really terrible at doing what is good for me, and maybe that is exactly what I need to do to have a healthy pregnancy. I am grateful that there are other women here who understand.
  • SaleemahR
    SaleemahR Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My husband and I also want to have a baby but we both agreed that I need to loose weight before we start trying. I have 100lbs but even loosing 80 would make me happy. I would to maybe coordinate some workout times with someone who has equipment at home. I have a treadmill but it's been collecting dust for quite some time.
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My husband and I decided to try for our first baby (we each have one daughter)
    I just had my nexplanon removed a month ago and I know it can take a while to get pregnant. I have at least 50 pounds to lose to be not overweight.
    While not an issue yet, I want to lose as much as I can before getting pregnant (or to help get pregnant), and hopefully that will make it easier to lose weight after the pregnancy, as well as have a healthy pregnancy. I had a 60 pound gain during my first.
    Good luck to you, hopefully you will get on the right path and it will lead to what you want!
  • hlcavalieri
    hlcavalieri Posts: 28 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hello!
    I am in a similar position myself. I have been trying for a baby for right around 3 years with no success. I have PCOS, and one totally blocked Fallopian tube so I am working with half the equipment! I have done three rounds of clomid, and one round of femera with no luck. I decided to take a much needed break in hopes that if I lose some weight it will help my body "get on track". In other words, I feel your pain! Any of you feel free to add me! It can only be beneficial for us to motivate and support each other!
  • ithacad754
    ithacad754 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Been trying to conceive for 2 years. Don't know what's wrong with me neither do doctors, but I believe it's because I'm overweight. I'm 23, married, military, and TTC for me has een stressful. Doctors say to keep trying and come back after 3 more months, but I'm tired of getting by the run around. So far they have done anything no tests, no ultrasound, nothing. o right now I am trying to focus on my weight lost. I'm 5"4 and 189 lbs. Anyone can request me. I can sure use the support
  • SaleemahR
    SaleemahR Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a fried. I would love the support!
  • Summerberry1012
    Summerberry1012 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I have been warming up to the idea of starting a family soon, but we both agreed that we need to work on developing healthier habits (i.e. nutrition) and that we could both lose a few pounds before we start trying, so we give ourselves a strong start with less stress. I'm really nervous about the delivery aspect and I think I would feel a lot better about getting pregnant if my body was in better shape and I felt healthier overall. I've focused a lot on de-stressing & nutrition last year and now I am slowly adding in workouts now that I feel better. I thought I was the only one thinking this way! Glad to see I'm not :smile:
  • alethea88
    alethea88 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to get pregnant over a year now. My doctor said I have pcos. my glucose level is 5.3 which is near the limit. I am 28 years old, 5'4" and only slightly over the BMI. I want to lose 5kg hoping to beat pcos. I'm starting to eat healthy and do low sugar diet. I feel i can get pregnant when if I exercise and eat healthy. feel free to add me and we can support each other.
  • Kt71289
    Kt71289 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you all. I am trying to lose at least 40 pounds by July/August so that we can begin our first IVF cycle. Luckily all of my hormone levels and what not are normal and it has been ruled a husband issue lol but I still need to lose weight before we can begin the process. Feel free to friend me as well!