Over Eating

Options
Hello everyone.
Something that I am super guilty of is overeating or .. Emotionally eating .. Eating from boredom.
I always tell myself not to eat that chocolate bar, but I can't help myself.
Can anyone give me advice on how to stop?

Replies

• CherieQ72
    CherieQ72 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the only things that help me is to drink water, keep myself busy, get up and do something, spend time on MFP reading posts in the message boards (especially success stories!), look at clothes online that I want to wear one day etc. It definitely gets easier and you'll feel much better and have more energy. Good luck!
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Rachel - I've been in your situation so many times and only this year at the ripe old age of 47 have I finally learnt to control my eating rather than it control me. Its been a gradual process over the course of about a year but started quite simply really. I decided to give up chocolate and crisps for Lent so whenever I went to the shops and was going to buy those items, I said in my head something along the lines of "I'm making the decision to buy and eat these - am I willing to accept that it will make me feel rubbish and that I'm eating them for the sake of it?" Sometimes I bought them anyway but more often than not I didn't. So I spread it to home too and now when I go for the biscuit tin stop then make a conscious decision to either take or leave the biscuit. Again, sometimes I do sometimes I dont but I finally feel as though I am back in control of my eating rather than it controlling me!!

Hope that helps a bit - sounds bonkers when I read it back!!

x
  • tvau37
    tvau37 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am so in need of support....
    I eat when everyone is in bed track my food all day then blow it!
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Same here, struggled with that for years and there's still days when I go to the fridge and food cupboards for snacks between meals or later in the evening. But the food I keep at home is different now - less sweets, chocolate, ice-cream, cakes, savoury snacks and biscuits, more healthier options like nuts, seeds, dried fruit. Still high-calorie foods but a bit more filling so I feel fuller for longer, and I still have some sweet treats to look forward to, just less of them than before. And I try to only shop once a week so I know when the treats are gone they're gone, which helps me eke them out. One thing which changed me personally - and I'm not trying to convert anyone (in case I get accused of that) but it has contributed a lot to a big change in my eating habits - is l started to look into the sources of different foods and ingredients. I decided not to eat some of them any more for various reasons, like finding them gross (e.g. gelatine, cochineal) or being disgusted at the cruelty involved in obtaining those foods. Many wouldn't want to go to those lengths and it's their choice, of course, but for me that definitely and permanently changed my eating habits and helped with the emotional/boredom eating at the same time. The less tempting treat-foods kept at home, the easier it became.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Get some things sorted out.
    Are you overeating, emotionally eating, or eating just because you can?
    Why do you feel guilty for eating.
    Eat enough food, all the calories and nutrients you need, food you like, every day.
    Get enough sleep and rest, exercise, enjoyment, me-time.
    Learn to recognize what you truly need, and how the different foods (and amounts) make you feel afterwards, physically and emotionally.
    Remove temptations. Don't buy things you don't want to eat.
    Set boundaries, but don't deny yourself - plan your meals, portion out your food, freeze leftovers immediately.
    Reserve treats for special occasions.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I plan for treats. Like I'm not giving up fast food. So I plan the 2 days a week I know I'll get it. That helps me to not eat whatever I want every day. Because I can think to myself, on Saturday I'm going to get that Mexican food I want. Then Saturday rolls around, gotta be good for lunch, remind myself, dinner will be delicious Mexican food, so I can keep it under control for lunch. Then dinner is my treat. All still within my calories generally (or at worst, a day at maintenance). I don't keep things I might binge on in the house (ice cream, chocolate bars, etc). I know I don't have the control to portion something out, so I don't keep it around.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Honestly, this is a hard one to give advice for. You have to have a lot of self control, and it is something that is learned best by halting the action and seeing results. I like to think, is it really worth it to feel like complete crap afterwards in order to get a little bit of joy from chocolate/ice cream/etc.? After a while, you will get to a point where you no longer crave these unhealthy foods or feel the need to binge. Have you tried getting all of the snack foods like this out of your house? Replace them with fruits, veggies, etc. That way when you feel the urge to binge, you will be binging on healthy, filling food that will (hopefully) encourage you to have a shorter binge.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hello I saw your post about this, I also struggled with eating and feeling like I had no control. I would eat until I felt sick, and eat in secret shame, and lie and hide food I was eating. One day I realized that this was not right and I looked into getting some help, and I heard about binge eating disorder. Well I was given a questionnaire and surprisingly I ticked off almost all the boxes for having it. I started a Binge Eating group on here where I put the link to the site with more info on the disorder. It may be worth your time to look into. I can tell you that I have been in full control of my eating, I no longer emotionally eat, and I have the ability to stop eating when I am full and not overeat. I hope this helps.
  • racheldell4956
    racheldell4956 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I wish I could control what's bought in the store like everyone on here says, but I'm only 18 and my parents buy nothing but junk food. Which doesn't help what so ever
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I wish I could control what's bought in the store like everyone on here says, but I'm only 18 and my parents buy nothing but junk food. Which doesn't help what so ever

Have you spoken to your parents about your goals of cutting down on junk? Maybe you could tell them to pick up a few healthy items when they make the supermarket trip.