Does Anyone Else Watch "My 600lb. Life" as Inspiration?

Options
briegirl28
briegirl28 Posts: 121 Member
I have been heavy ever since I was a kid, with the lowest weight I remember being at 156lbs. in the 5th grade. (Now I look back and realize while that was heavy, it wasn't the 336lbs I got up to as an adult. If I was 156lbs now I would be unstoppable!

Replies

• indiakristin
    indiakristin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yep, it scares the crap out of me
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    No it makes me uncomfortable to watch
  • LKMHardway
    LKMHardway Posts: 12 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Whenever I've stumbled across it channel surfing it has just scared the hell out of me thinking 'that could be me soon' and made sure I stayed within my calorie limit and work out longer that day... Maybe I should watch it more often..
  • BrandNewMan1970
    BrandNewMan1970 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    We watched it once and the kid was eating a tub of blue bell ice cream, a staple down home and hard to find here, inspired us to get some blue bell that day.
    But yes I was never that heavy but you always hope the people on the show recover.
  • Justn7883
    Justn7883 Posts: 4,764 Member
    Options
    Love that show! lol
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I've watched a few episodes, but I find it depressing, and when I'm depressed, I want to eat something.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it's a modern-day freakshow. I don't mean that to be unkind to the people involved in it, but that's the purpose of the people who make and produce these kinds of reality TV.

In today's freakshows you're not supposed to gape like yokels at the people on exhibit. That's so early 20th century. Instead you're supposed to be moved to pity, or outrage, or whatever emotion the producers wish to foster.

In my opinion, of course.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I love to see the success stories because those people have such huge obstacles to overcome. Their weight is one, but the common theme is the horrible abuse or neglect they endured early in their lives, which is what led them to food. I find it so amazing that people who have had such rough starts are able to get the help they need and turn their lives around. I cheer at the TV during the episodes where people fight through the blood, sweat and tears, and it makes me realize that even though I've had some crappy things in my life, nothing can stand in my way of reaching any goals I have.

That being said, the fact that their lives are on TV for the rest of us to watch does leave me uneasy. And I want to reach through the TV and smack some of them.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I watched that TLC documentary '900 Pound Man: The Race Against Time' and that made me not want to eat for about a month.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    I watch My 600 Pound Life in horrified fascination. I can relate better to the contestants on Biggest Loser, and watch that for inspiration.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    In my opinion, it's a modern-day freakshow. I don't mean that to be unkind to the people involved in it, but that's the purpose of the people who make and produce these kinds of reality TV.

In today's freakshows you're not supposed to gape like yokels at the people on exhibit. That's so early 20th century. Instead you're supposed to be moved to pity, or outrage, or whatever emotion the producers wish to foster.

In my opinion, of course.

yup , people watch it to a.feel better about themselves b.pity the person and feel like such a good heart for wanting to see them succeed

• nursecandy75
    nursecandy75 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think these people need mental help before surgery. They need to be educated that the surgery isn't going to work on its own. I love the show but some of the people need more help than they are getting.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I watch the show. Dr. Now does send them to psychiatrists for help when they cannot cope with issues. I also watch Extreme Weight Loss with Chris Powell. I love to see the transformations. Inspiring.
  • msmcnew4christ
    msmcnew4christ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes. Love that show along with extreme weight loss. Inspirational unless they aren't following Dr's orders. Then i find myself yelling at the tv ;)
  • McKittyJane
    McKittyJane Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    That doesn't inspire me. For one, if you've gotten to 600 lbs, there's a serious problem, one very different than your typical im-a-little-overweight-ok-yeah-im-fat kind of weight loss goal. You can be a good 50 lbs overweight and it not affect how you live your life; being 400 lbs overweight is a mental problem that will take a lot to overcome.
  • afigirl113
    afigirl113 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I prefer watching the biggest loser, it seems to get motivated/inspired
  • briegirl28
    briegirl28 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I think these people need mental help before surgery. They need to be educated that the surgery isn't going to work on its own. I love the show but some of the people need more help than they are getting.

I totally agree. :)
  • dewy333
    dewy333 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    afigirl113 wrote: »
    I prefer watching the biggest loser, it seems to get motivated/inspired

I agree... every Monday, I spend every other commercial doing some kind of exercise. Leg lifts, squats, crunches, or 4 mins of yoga. I feel so accomplished at the end of that show each week.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I prefer Biggest Loser and Extreme Weight Loss. With those shows, watching people workout always makes me feel like I should be working out and that usually gets me doing body weight strength stuff during commercials/jogging or walking in place while watching. I started watching the biggest loser for the first time when I was my heaviest and starting my weight loss. It definitely helped with motivation. I never expected to lose weight at the rate they were, but it did help to remind me that it was possible to lose weight and I could have my old body back.