Are All Exercises Created Equal

Options
So recently I started focusing more on the calories I burn exercising rather than the type of exercise. Is this okay or are there certain exercises that one might need for faster losses or greater definition. Are there any superior or inferior exercises?

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    bebeXchyM wrote: »
    So recently I started focusing more on the calories I burn exercising rather than the type of exercise. Is this okay or are there certain exercises that one might need for faster losses or greater definition. Are there any superior or inferior exercises?

I really think that depends on your goals. For instance heavy lifting burns fewer calories per workout then most cardio but it sure does great things for muscle definition.

If you're going for just a high calorie burn then whatever you enjoy is best. Personally I like to mix it up, doing various workouts, otherwise I'd get bored.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If all you want to do it burn some calories, just do whatever you like. That's not the the most effective or ideal approach but it's you choice. If you have an actual physical goal to work towards, you should follow a program that gets you on the path towards them
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    bebeXchyM wrote: »

I tend to focus on exercise for the sake of my fitness and improving on certain aspects of my fitness...so no, all exercises aren't created equal. Also, you have to consider different aspects of fitness...cardiovascular, muscular skeletal, balance, flexibility, etc.

In RE to greater definition, that simply comes with shedding fat and revealing muscle...resistance training is what provides that muscle. Shedding fat is also not a bi-product of exercise, it is a bi-product of consuming less calories than you require to maintain the status quo...exercise can help in that it increases your body's energy (calorie) requirements but in and of itself doesn't result in weight loss or fat loss or whatever.

There are a lot of heavy people who do all kinds of exercise, and they're still heavy...because they're still eating more than they require...I was one of those. I cycle about 80 miles or more per week...I lift 3x per week...I walk my dog regularly...I take my kids on family hikes and recreational bike rides and we play in the park, etc...I'm pretty active. I have lost weight, maintained weight, and gained weight doing all of those things...the difference being how much I was eating, not the activity or exercise.

• bebeXchyM
    bebeXchyM Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I'd put them to good use.