Binge eating..

Options
I've struggled with my weight for years. It seems as soon as I get to my goal weight, I sabotage myself. Eating less is easier in my dorm room since it's a controlled setting. But when I go home, all hell breaks loose. I'll eat until I'm literally sick and miserable. The guilt afterwards is the worst part. Does this happen to anyone else? I feel like I have no control over my actions when I binge and it's honestly terrifying.

Replies

• Viracellee
    Viracellee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I work from home so it is very easy to grab quick foods and sit at my desk mindlessly eating. It is a tough habit to break!
  • MelyCastillo
    MelyCastillo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I know what are you talking about, I got a book that talks about self control " the marshmallow test " the book is awesome
  • achocolateaffair
    achocolateaffair Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh yes!! I have exactly the same problem but I never thought to call it binge eating. But that's just exactly what it is! It is terribly frustrating. I will do good for so many days in a row. It's also like certain foods for me are a trigger into that area of total loss of self control. Like sugar, or chocolate are my biggest triggers. So I totally just avoid them but then after 3 to 6 days in a row I miss it so bad I just mean to have one or two bites and set myself for binging the rest of the day. What do we do? I will see if the library has the above mentioned book.
  • achocolateaffair
    achocolateaffair Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad you posted this.
  • calynnkelly
    calynnkelly Posts: 5 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It sounds like we are all in this together. I have always worked 40+ hours a week but as a new stay at home mom it is so easy to snack all day!
  • louann_jude
    louann_jude Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I am a binge eater too. Thankfully its been a little while since my last binge. Yesterday I got really upset before dinner. I wouldn't eat until I calmed down. Because I know if I did I would have let my emotions control my food intake.
    I have actually postponed my trip to my moms so I wont be tempted to eat. I am hoping that if I have more time to get use to no binges I will be able to control it better.
  • slowandsteady44
    slowandsteady44 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    if youve struggled with this for a long time i recommend a book by katherine hansen called "brain over binge" - its got amazing reviews on amazon and personally i found that it made a huge amount of sense. also if you diet for long periods of time your body sometimes naturally tries to compensate for the lack of food by sending out relentless urges- eating is ok, just maybe try healthier options? good luck x
  • becca_rup23
    becca_rup23 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this a lot too when I visit home. I'm in my fifth year in college and I do fine here but when I go home I eat way too much, and I used to overeat when I liced at home too so I think some of it is habit/emotional, but I totally get how frustrating it is!
  • ltssharon
    ltssharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with my weight for years. It seems as soon as I get to my goal weight, I sabotage myself. Eating less is easier in my dorm room since it's a controlled setting. But when I go home, all hell breaks loose. I'll eat until I'm literally sick and miserable. The guilt afterwards is the worst part. Does this happen to anyone else? I feel like I have no control over my actions when I binge and it's honestly terrifying.

Oh my gosh, thank you for your post. I got mad this evening and had a 1800 calorie binge (plus the 1400 I had already eaten). Maybe I will not feel like eating at all tomorrow because of guilt and maybe even appetite. I am still mad, and actually feel like continuing the binge, but I finally got a clue a half hour ago and exercised a bit. With the journaling now, I probably will make it through the night at least. But then of course, I am still going to be mad in the morning. Maybe I will work on a personal perspective that will calm me down before I go to sleep. That could not hurt.
  • nikkiheat777
    nikkiheat777 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I kinda have that problem too. For me, it all started when I went on diet four years ago, it was totally restrictive Dukan diet. I was feeling great and I lost 10 kg, I was skinnier than ever.. And then when I reached my goal, I decided that I wont be on diet till the end, I'm just gonna eat healthier.
    And then it started to happen. My brain registered that I'm not on a diet and started craving food I've so long avoided. Binge eating sweets, chocolate, chips and even "normal" food like home made sandwich!!

I couldn't stop and I've gained back weight in a month or so, and now I have 7 kg more than I had when I first started this diet.

And I realise that I just can't control myself when I'm not on a strict diet. I don't know why, but when I just decide that I'm gonna eat less and healthier and excercise and everything will be ok, it never is. I binge eat.

So today I'm here, and I'm starting anew. I'll be on Dukan diet once more and till the end. THat's the only way for me to keep tracking some progress....

Wish me luck and be my new motivational friends, add me!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Think you have already answered your own problem.....
  • katkiv22
    katkiv22 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am a binge eater too. Thankfully its been a little while since my last binge. Yesterday I got really upset before dinner. I wouldn't eat until I calmed down. Because I know if I did I would have let my emotions control my food intake.

This is really awesome advice, thanks for sharing! I'm an emotional eater and a stress eater, so I'll binge when I'm anxious, bored, etc.

I don't have a solid solution to my own tendencies (yet), but so far it has helped me to eat snacks away from the kitchen, and to just take one portion with me. I'm also trying to focus on the emotion side so when I feel the craving start I do a couple sun salutations and drink some water. Still working out a solution for work, I can't very well break out the yoga mat in the office ;)