Anybody have/had Plantars Fasciitis?

ZRx4
ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
For the past month and a half I've been having pretty severe pain in my heel. For about 2-3 weeks I've been rolling it, once to twice a day on a Golfball, which helped tremendously, even got me back to running some. Today, it's been burning a lot (forgot to roll my foot for two days or so). Any tips/ tricks to helping it? I wear good shoes, all day, even in my house. I'm so desperate to get it back to good.

Replies

• Margomb45
    Margomb45 Posts: 12 Member
    I had 6 deep tissue message on my feet
    Hurt like HELL
    But it worked for me, did it once a month, for six month straight
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Rolled mine on a large piece of pvc pipe (3" diameter), and stretched my calves a lot. There are special socks for sleeping in that help put stretch on your foot at night.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,097 Member
    Stretching out my calves helped. I usually do it when I wake up before getting out of bed. When the pain subsides, I found strengthening my calves helped as well probably because doing it I am doing calf raises and that would stretch things out as well. More than just good shoes, I found getting the right shoes, that is, the ones that helped support what needed support. Sometimes that was less expensive shoes, but ones that worked well with my feet. That was a lot of trial and error to find the right ones for me. The annoying thing is since it is a tendinitis, it can come and go. Finally the think that helped me most was losing some weight.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Yes. Rolling my foot over a frozen water bottle or small ball, doing some stretches and exercises for planters fasciitis, and switching to shoes with less arch support got rid of it.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    I've had it twice in 15 years. I'm still getting over the last flare up which started in June of 2014. Do a search. I've answered this question several times. One thing to know: it doesn't go away. If you continue to run on it, you just continue with the same problem. You have to get off your feet. It sucks, I know. There are things you can do to make it feel better. Research those, and try everything. Different things help different people. I am still doing all of the recommended treatments that were given to me over a year and a half ago. And I'm only able to run one day a week.good luck!
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    I ended up getting some amazing insoles and didn't move faster than a jog for two weeks
  • kaufman93
    kaufman93 Posts: 1 Member
    I'll agree with Daisy your insoles are going to be your best bet with further preventing any more pain in your heels I suffer with it in my left foot and ice packs and resistant bands seem to help
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Platar fasciitis bands (insoles) are pretty helpful & durable (pain mostly from standing on feet all day 15+hours/week). I use Futuro brand bands; they come with different hardness insoles for more or less support as you get use to wearing them. I have not used the night time socks/cast; the MFR website has somewhat mixed reviews mostly on durability/longevity of the product.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    KTtape will help more than anything with the pain and premote healing. Rolling with lacrosse, golf, bread roller, wine bottle a few times daily, and cross tissue massage.

I deal with many tendon and joint issues on a daily basis due to a joint disease and these have worked for me, especially the KTtape which virtuallt helped everyone that I've mentioned ed it to.
  • snowyky06
    snowyky06 Posts: 4 Member
    The night splint that keeps your foot flexed helped me alot, I don't use it anymore unless I feel the pain starting up again, I also do the toe exercises where you use your toes to grab a towel and pull it towards you and stretching those muscles is a must.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2016
    Insoles made my plantars worse. I fixed mine through a lot of stretching, rolling (I used a baseball), and rested it. And before I went heavy, i got fitted for shoes (I apparently needed a stability shoe based on my pronation).
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I've had it 3 times. Each time it was caused by a change in shoes. I do stretching exercises for it almost everyday. If I feel it coming on I change shoes immediately. I haven't had this problem for at least 10 yrs now, so it will go away if you do the right things.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited February 2016
    I tried physical therapy, orthotics, stretch bands, towel scrunching, bottle rolling, and night splint/boot but nothing worked.

After several years of battle I decided to go against conventional wisdom and stop wearing shoes as much as possible. After regularly going barefoot for a few months, the plantar fasciitis was gone and hasn't returned.

The problem occurs because of a lack of flexibility in the foot. Restore the flexibility and you will cease the constant injuring.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    randeortiz wrote: »
    For the past month and a half I've been having pretty severe pain in my heel. For about 2-3 weeks I've been rolling it, once to twice a day on a Golfball, which helped tremendously, even got me back to running some. Today, it's been burning a lot (forgot to roll my foot for two days or so). Any tips/ tricks to helping it? I wear good shoes, all day, even in my house. I'm so desperate to get it back to good.

You might need to go to a podiatrist. My husband had it and had to get cortisone shots a couple of times for the pain. It took him well over a year for it to heal and it still flares up every now and then.
  • Burger2066
    Burger2066 Posts: 126 Member
    I had it for a while. My sister is a physical therapist and she recommended that I buy some marbles and use my toes to pick them up and put them in a cup. It sounds stupid, but it works. I do it once a day, 40 marbles per foot and I haven't had an issue since.
  • chefchar96
    chefchar96 Posts: 1 Member
    Lemongrass essential oil. I get mine at http://barefut.com/?a=206 It is not a quick fix but works over time. Our chiropractor suggested it for my daughter who had to end her dancing career or face surgery if she couldn't get it under control.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I have had mine for a while. I got orthotics and do calf stretches, which really helps. I've also found biking helps. Wearing flimsy shoes and flip-flops can be a cause. It definitely hurts more when I wear flimsy flats/sandals/flip flops. I know several people have said deep tissue foot massages really help, and I am considering trying that. Some people also have to do physical therapy.
  • zgiarc
    zgiarc Posts: 58 Member
    I've had it in both feet for a while. I'm fine as long as I work on it daily. Rolling a golf ball, frozen water bottle, can of food, etc along with a lot of calf stretching usually keeps me problem free.
  • ZRx4
    ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
    Thanks for all the tips! I'll be giving some a try! My bestie, is a massage therapist, unfortunately, she lives a state away, told me the golfball thing. She also said to stay active. I think it may be the shoes, tho they're expensive, I don't think they're for my foot type. I hope to be going to a running shoe store soon.

I will be adding in the towel/ calf stretching regularly, as I haven't done that yet. My calves are pretty muscular, so I don't think it's because they're not strong enough, maybe they're just tight.

Thanks again for all the advice. You guys are awesome! I hope it isn't a year till it feels better, that would be awful!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I have a night splint for if/when it gets really bad...which hasn't been for quite awhile now. I wear Superfeet for arch support as I have very high arches and thus the plantar issues. The arch support also helps immensely with my posterior tibial tendinitis and all that stuff is connected.

Even when I'm feeling good I make sure I roll it and do my stretches. My plantar and posterior tibial issues are one of the big reasons I took up cycling...I still run about once per week or once every couple of weeks depending...love to ride though.