Get so mad at myself if i miss a gym session. Is this normal or start of problems?

Options
Twice recently I have had to miss gym or pool sessions, one due to being overtired (on nights and got woken up twice). Second time was trying to cheer up friend who was feeling neglected, (they then moaned and talked non stop about some computer game all evening).

Both times I ended up feeling really cross with myself, though in latter was feeling just as peeved with friend. Is this normal or the start of problems? Plus what do you do if you miss a session? Try and fit another in, or leave it and go back to routine?

Replies

• Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't beat yourself up about the times you can't make it to the gym, life happens. When I can't make a gym session I usually try to make it up on another day if I can, otherwise I just continue on my regular schedule. One missed day won't derail you.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    relax its not the end of the world.
  • zgiarc
    zgiarc Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You are missing the "rush" that you get from working out and also feel guilty for slacking all at once. Like Kimo159 said, life happens. I've been on MFP for 1 month now and lost around 25 pounds. My best week of weight loss so far was my worst week of training? At times you have to listen to your body when it needs rest.
  • Burger2066
    Burger2066 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've got two kids and I miss gym sessions. It'll happen in life. Don't worry about it and move on to the next. Missing a workout here or there isn't the end of the world.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I get like that too!
    Don't stress though, don't worry about it!
    You can go another time, if you can make it up then do it but I've found that the gym will always be there and it's ok to take a day off sometimes!
    Totally normal.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    This is life- finding a way to make it work and be okay with missing a day and shifting a work out. Don't feel like you're missing a workout- you're just rescheduling it.

Do not base your life's worth on a gym session- it will cause you unneeded stress- a lot of unneeded stress.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I was pissed at myself for about 4 minutes for not lifting last night. I just didnt have it in me. I tucked in all 3 Littles and I went to bed early knowing tonight I will have enough energy and strength to kill it! So now Im really excited about my "gym time".
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have a one year old that has had ear infections and colds all winter long so I've had to miss a few times. I totally get the guilt. But you just have to get over it and keep going. Like so many things in life: feel it, deal with it, and let it go. I just concentrate on being as active as possible (i.e. Don't sit around all day) and coming in under calorie goal. Who knows, maybe a day off is going to do just as much good for your body as a training session would have.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    It kind of depends on your goals.

- If you're a competitive bodybuilder, then yes, a couple missed sessions is going to throw you off.
    - If you're looking for general fitness, a couple of missed sessions isn't bad, just jump into it again as soon as you can.
    - If you're just looking for weight loss, a couple of missed sessions means nothing, especially if you maintained your calorie deficit for the day.

So, it's kind of relative, but in any of these cases, don't stress about it. Having an off day is human.
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I'm quite busy and the swim/gym sessions tend to be bit of me time and escapism as well as a get fit regime. If it was important things wouldn't mind so much, possible part the annoyance is aimed at the outside influences, eg cars honking and waking me on shift work, a friend who moans they never see me, then makes it clear they would rather be gaming when they do see me, (sadly this friends family complain of same thing and I have tried inviting them out to places where we could do stuff)
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks all. I'm quite busy and the swim/gym sessions tend to be bit of me time and escapism as well as a get fit regime. If it was important things wouldn't mind so much, possible part the annoyance is aimed at the outside influences, eg cars honking and waking me on shift work, a friend who moans they never see me, then makes it clear they would rather be gaming when they do see me, (sadly this friends family complain of same thing and I have tried inviting them out to places where we could do stuff)

Stay with your priorities and what makes you happy.
    Remain open to keeping relationships going by spending time with those you care about too. Balance is important.
    If Ive learned anything its; those who want to be in your life, will be.
  • time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    This is your life now pretty much. It's can become quite an addiction. Taking a rest day is hard mentally for me. When I'm not at the gym, I'm thinking about being at the gym. But, hey, there are worse things to be addicted to!