Binge Eatting.

Options
So I struggle with binge eatting, It's always been a downfall of mine. It's usually at a snack time or later at night. Is there any ideas out there to help with that?

Replies

• jdt242
    jdt242 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi, I struggle with that too - if you'd like to add me we could chat off the main thread. I'm fighting it everyday and am wanting to win!
  • Mumworkstudy
    Mumworkstudy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Me too. It's been a life tiMe struggle for me. I'm so disheartened by the cycle of losing weight & then putting it all back on (and then some!!) It's been a long time since I've been on-track...but the last week has been good despite recently giving up smoking & a pretty hard stressful week at work. I hope I'm on track again. My binge triggers are loneliness/boredom, tiredness, stress. I have never found therapy helps for me.
  • coliexo
    coliexo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Drinking lots of water and making sure you are getting the right foods really help!! Good fats (coconut oil, peanut butter, nuts, avocado) can help with cravings!
  • seells
    seells Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting. I eat my meals later in the day which has helped with the binging. Being full before bed has made a big difference. I usually eat 500 calories between 6-8pm than I'm full and have no urge to binge.
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I came here specifically looking for others that struggle with binge eating... part of me gives up on a night that I decide to do it and then I feel like crap afterward. Even if I eat a good dinner I have the urge.
  • jessicai28
    jessicai28 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This might sound crazy but someone told me to brush my teeth after my last meal or snack of the night, once my macros are fulfilled. The taste of toothpaste in your mouth and the idea that your mouth is clean for the night sometimes helps the brain not think of food ... I'm an avid binge eatter and between doing this plus eating my last meal/snack later (9-10pm.. I go to bed at 12) has really helped put off binging. Its worth a try!
  • iluv2jump221
    iluv2jump221 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I struggle with it every single night and its awful. It has become a terrible habit and no matter what anyone tells me my thought of having food overrides the good advice people give me. (like brushing teeth after dinner, etc) its hurting my gut and i cant stop aaah!
  • iluv2jump221
    iluv2jump221 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    torie079 wrote: »
    I came here specifically looking for others that struggle with binge eating... part of me gives up on a night that I decide to do it and then I feel like crap afterward. Even if I eat a good dinner I have the urge.

Same here!!! I just want to be healthy again! Same exact thing happens to me though.
  • kutlwanosamuels
    kutlwanosamuels Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness. I struggle with binge eating too and i kinda thought i was alone. Its so hard and for me its mostly during the day considering that schools arent open yet and iv been on holiday for the past two months. The other day i at 8 slices of bread in total...just by eating two slices of stuffed bread then 2hours later id have another slice of garlic bread then later more and more.. Iv just been so frustrated because i really want to lose weight but i just cant stop eating. My trigger mostly is bordem . Brushing my teeth really doesnt help me, instead it just makes me want to eat more
  • graceful_
    graceful_ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've definitely struggled with binge eating in the past. You have to identify what is causing you to binge eat. There is a feeling you are trying to numb or subdue every time you binge eat. I would avoid dealing with challenging situations in my life and I would eat to keep me busy. Once you determine what your trigger is, you can work to move away from it and have a healthy relationship with food and with your body. Happy to chat more if you'd like. :)
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm a binge eater. I just wrote a post the other day (down below) about what it was like to binge. Add if u want
  • amyers2891
    amyers2891 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am a binge eater too. Especially when I have a lot of downtime. I started drinking tea and it's really helped. I picked out some yummy flavors to try. It's almost like a treat to brew up some tea and sip on at work and at home. Sometimes I like to throw some honey or agave in to sweeten it up!!
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You are not alone in this. I started a Binge Eating group if you would like to join.
  • jennkaufer89
    jennkaufer89 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you...it's like you lose all sensory data and just eat and eat and eat.

• 303lissy
    303lissy Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Binge eating is a huge battle for me too. Come 9pm, I feel like I'm STARVING, even though I know I'm not. I just want to eat. I've stopped buying snacks (chips and crackers are my weakness) so I can't actually binge on them. A new year's resolution of mine is to be mindful of everything I do, and I've recently been adapting that to eating. When I reach for food, ask myself, "Am I really hungry?" I'll try to drink a glass of water first and ask myself again 10 minutes later.

I'm also reading a book on binge eating which has been really helpful so far. Basically, you imagine the voice in your head that's telling you to overeat as The Pig (not a cute little piggy, but like a monster), and since you are in charge of your own mind (cue the mind palace/Sherlock references), you can lock The Pig away. When your body tells you to eat, you can figure out if it's actually you needing to eat because your hungry, or if it's The Pig wanting to be a monster. Very interesting and surprisingly helpful.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Sexual harassment is one of my triggers. Some a hole grabbed me about 3 weeks ago and since then I put on 7 lbs. I've been loosing weight steadily for 1.5 years and have never had these food urges as bad in that time. I'm trying hard to fix it, before I gain back all of the 68 lbs I lost...
  • simply_cidalia
    simply_cidalia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    seells wrote: »
    I do intermittent fasting. I eat my meals later in the day which has helped with the binging. Being full before bed has made a big difference. I usually eat 500 calories between 6-8pm than I'm full and have no urge to binge.

This has helped me as well.

Also, keeping busy. I've started tackling the things I tended to put off, got some hobbies, etc. So much easier to not obsess with food when you're busy. When I do get truly hungry, I've lots of calories left over to work with.
  • CantonRC
    CantonRC Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    After reading what some of you posted I came to the realization that am a bing eater. I knew the word but never put much thought into it I thought I just made bad choices or something. I have always worked out and trained hard for a long time. I could only guess at how many triathlons I have done. I always figured I could burn off whatever bad choices I made. My meal choices are good I know exactly what to eat and how much. The bing thing happens when I am alone Its not about hunger it's kinda like a Jeckll and Hyde thing. A switch flips and I make every bad choice I can make go to bed get up and repeat.
  • mixedbag4444
    mixedbag4444 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from binge eating for a few years now, and have gained 30 lbs because of it. I've learned a couple of tricks that might help some of you out :)

First of all, like many, I binge eat late at night or when I get home from school. I've still yet to find a good solution for when I get home other then eating my dinner early (around 5), as usually those binges are due to being hungry or stressed after a long day. I've also taken up piano, which I routinely play after I get home. This helps because it is therapeutic and distracts you from thoughts about eating.

For evening/night times, I've learned to let myself indulge a little, and to adjust my calories accordingly. I have a HUGE sweet tooth, which is a horrible combination with binge eating, so I usually make myself some form of dessert item to satisfy my cravings. Of course, I usually crave bingeing more after these meals, but if I stay away from the kitchen and go to bed early then I can usually restrain myself.

One thing that I did for a bit was I got a family member to physically put a lock and chain around the cupboard with all the crackers/chips once he went to bed, as usually due to shame I binge when everyone's asleep, which isn't possible if the cupboard's locked.

I also up my calories a bit on the weekend to allow myself to relax a bit and prevent urges to binge.

I hope this helps someone!
  • 20likenow
    20likenow Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am with you. I have failed every single time due to this. I've been good the past month. Most of the time, I pre log my meals. I leave room for a sucker or chocolate. If I go over I don't punish myself, I start fresh the next day. I also stay out of the kitchen after dinner.