fats and carbs

Options
Hey guys..I was wondering about fats and carbs..I see people meal prep avocados and bread and some other fats and carbs etc..dont these food that are full of fat make you fat and carbs too!?

Replies

• Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Not all fats are equal. Avocados have healthy fats, and most of the carbs in it are fiber. A medium avocado is 13g of carbs, 10 of which are fiber, meaning the entire thing is 3 net carbs. If you're chowing down 5 or 6 avocados a day, then maybe it would be an issue.

Fat is not bad in moderation. Carbs are not horrible in moderation, although some people choose to limit them.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Excess calories make you fat no matter the source.

I eat the foods I like in moderation and in reasonable portions.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat doesn't make you fat...carbs don't make you fat...consuming energy (calories) in excess of what you require makes you fat.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with avocado and bread. Food provides us with energy and nutrients. Most foods contain a mixture of nutrients and stuff that give us energy - fat, carbs and protein - and each of those has a certain amount of calories per gram. We need all of them, and we have to eat an appropriate amount every day. It's too many calories that makes us fat. If we were to cut out carbs and fat, we'd be left with just protein, and that would make us very, very sick.

Oh - congrats on the 20,000 posts, cwolfman13!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Excess calories make you fat no matter the source.

I eat the foods I like in moderation and in reasonable portions.

This^

Unless you have a medical reason to reduce carbs, or a medical reason to reduce fat, just eat "regular" foods. Except measure and log your portions. I'm overweight because I eat too many calories. It will be important for me to know what "real" serving sizes look like when I get to maintenance.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Dietary fat doesn't make you fat...carbs don't make you fat...consuming energy (calories) in excess of what you require makes you fat.

This
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Not all fats are equal. Avocados have healthy fats, and most of the carbs in it are fiber. A medium avocado is 13g of carbs, 10 of which are fiber, meaning the entire thing is 3 net carbs. If you're chowing down 5 or 6 avocados a day, then maybe it would be an issue.

Fat is not bad in moderation. Carbs are not horrible in moderation, although some people choose to limit them.

On the contrary fat is an important macro to hit a minimum daily (0.35g per lb bodyweight)

Fat helps the body absorb nutrients

Carbs are a great source of energy but aren't a vital macro
  • lalabrucey
    lalabrucey Posts: 244 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Great answers here, helped me too so thanks everyone :)
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

On the contrary fat is an important macro to hit a minimum daily (0.35g per lb bodyweight)

I'm not sure why you said on the contrary - I agree with all of your points. By moderation I meant don't go crazy and eat unlimited fats, but of course meet your calorie goals for the day with them.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    What makes you fat is eating more calories than what you burn. Fats, carbs and proteins are all healthy for you when eaten in balance.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Which is why she said it's not bad in moderation I suspect. You do need some fats for your body to function, but like anything else, too much is bad.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    yamahdi41 wrote: »
    Hey guys..I was wondering about fats and carbs..I see people meal prep avocados and bread and some other fats and carbs etc..dont these food that are full of fat make you fat and carbs too!?

Nothing wrong with avocados and bread, but meal-prepping (in the sense most use the term, of fixing meals days or even weeks ahead of time) avocados and bread sounds like a terrible idea. Don't cut your avocados before you're going to eat them--it doesn't take more than few seconds to slice an avocado, mash it if you want, and stir in citrus juice, salsa, or whatever you want. Spreading avocado on bread and letting it sit for even an hour, much less days, and expecting it to be palatable is a crime against avocado-hood. And bread. Your bread will just get soggy. :(

Mmm, I'm definitely having a little mashed avocado and lime juice on toast tonight.