Spaghetti Squash

Options
Soo I tried this recipe for din tonight and it was amazing, but I'm concerned it's too good to be true.. Baked the squash and had a 2 cup serving of it. 1 cup of marinara sauce of which I scanned the bottle, 9 cooked shrimp, and some crushed red pepper. All together it was under 300 cals... I proceeded to have some snacks so I could at least get past 1300 calories for the day. Anyway this is a serious mistake, or was that a legit dinner??

Replies

• jacquifrench304
    jacquifrench304 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If you weighed it I would say that is around right the squash is very filling
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Ligit. Enjoy.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely trying spaghetti squash! I had already been considering it. Thanks for this post!
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    My wife makes it with bison burger and marinara sauce, and I love it! I know that increases the calories (and not vegan friendly), but it's the only recipe she's tried for it. I'll suggest she try the shrimp the next time.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Legit. But as a male you should be eating more than 1300 calories. What are you trying to do to yourself?
  • tgrieger87
    tgrieger87 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I aim for 1500 every day, but like I said I had to seriously snack out to just get to 1300 that particular day. The app says my goal is 1560. Trying to lose like 20/25 more lbs. The calories allowed per the app went way down when I put that I work out at least 45 mins/5 days a week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't care for Spaghetti Squash myself, but am happy it works for so many.

Maybe later this year when it's in season I will try it in a stir fry.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sounds reasonable given the ingredients. I love spaghetti squash.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Ilove spaghetti squash and it makes a big plate of food- I enjoy it- with a light suace and turkey sausage crumbles or some other lean protein.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is pretty amazing. I need to do it at home more often, but it's legit. :wink:
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Yep! Love me some spaghetti squash. Every time I make it, my boyfriend and I end up super full and can't finish it all, and it's sooo few calories. Amazing.
  • tgrieger87
    Options
    Awesome ideas thank you! Only thing I have to worry about now is eating it too frequently that I get tired of it lol
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty legit. Spaghetti squash is the best (I used to hate it, then someone made it 'right' once and now I can't get enough of it)

My favorite spaghetti squash recipe:

Poke holes in squash
    Microwave 5-10 minutes (depending on squash size -- when it's somewhat squishy to the touch, it's done)
    Cut in half, scoop out seeds (careful - it's hot!), but *don't* scrape it into strands
    Weigh each half, set halves on a cookie sheet hollow side up, sprinkle with seasonings of choice
    Brown 1/4 lb lean ground beef, don't drain
    Mix with red sauce of choice. I use V8 thickened with tomato paste, with garlic, onions, and mushrooms
    Sprinkle shredded cheese over spaghetti squash
    divide meat sauce in half and pour into hollow of each squash
    divide a serving of cottage cheese over the sauce between each squash
    sprinkle more shredded cheese on top
    broil until browned

Now you have a meal cooked in its own disposable bowl! Use a fork to fork down into the squash as you eat -- it'll pull out in strands and the sauce will seep in - each bite is better than the last. Delicious and fun to eat

(you can weigh your empty 'bowl' at the end to figure out how much squash you had. Or wear it as a hat?)
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Very low calorie, and tasty.

Unfortunately I have pretty severe gastric distress after even a small amount of it :( The first few times I had it I was fine but now each time I try again hoping to feel better and it's just worse. It's a big stinker, I love squash!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Sounds correct. It's weird how filling yet low calorie spaghetti squash is.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Sounds correct. It's weird how filling yet low calorie spaghetti squash is.
    vde5ez9gsy08.jpg

• mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It's mostly water so yeah, I could see how the calories aren't that high. It's one of my favorite "spaghetti" dishes.
  • tgrieger87
    Options
    Thanks again. I'm going to try all of these new recipes very soon!