Jazzercise?

Options
Does anyone else do Jazzercise? I recently found out it was still a thing! So I joined last month and I love it. Awesome workout!! Anyway, I'm wondering how you log it. Or if you wear a HRM, how many calories you burn. I know it's different for everyone but I'm curious. I don't have a HRM yet but will be getting one.

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I didn't know it was still a thing either. I used to do it in the 80's. Are you taking classes or using a video?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    You can log it as aerobics, general or high-impact
  • bac0s
    bac0s Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is an instructor. She burns between 500-600 a class, but makes a very intense effort.
  • armydreamers
    armydreamers Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I didn't know it was still a thing either. I used to do it in the 80's. Are you taking classes or using a video?

I take classes. I love it because you get your cardio and strength (the strength portion is similar to barre or pilates) in one class. Also, each instructor is a little different so you're not getting the exact same workout every time. I've been going 3-4 times a week and I usually hate to work out so it's been a good thing for me. :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    bac0s wrote: »
    I have a friend who is an instructor. She burns between 500-600 a class, but makes a very intense effort.
    I highly doubt that- but it's a useful workout.
  • bac0s
    bac0s Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

She wears a heart rate monitor. Sounded high to me, too, but I've seen the readouts.
  • armydreamers
    armydreamers Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I wore my Fitbit today and it estimated a little over 500 calories in an hour. Not bad. :)
  • shurleec
    shurleec Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When I took Jazzercise I use to burn 500-600 a class.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I love all the different things we do at Jazzercise, too! I wear a heart rate monitor & for a 60 minute class - I've burned as high as 712 calories (I was totally pumped this day) and as low as low as 405 calories (I wasn't feeling very intense that day). Keep in mine, the more you weigh/the more calories you burn - the higher your intensity level/the more calories you burn - And I've also found that I burn more calories at class when I workout after work vs first thing in the morning. <--- But I don't let that deter me, working out first thing energizes me for the whole day and I know I probably burn more calories through the day. Thank God for Jazzercise! It's the first fitness program that I started and didn't get bored with or give up after 2 months.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I have done it. I didn't like it. I got a Groupon and didn't take all the classes I was entitled to, the first Groupon that I bought and didn't use it. (I used to get tons of different exercise classes through Groupon and Living social, before I joined the Equinox.)
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I did it for a time as well. I actually loved it! The music was great! It was very fast and we never stopped moving. I wish my schedule allowed for it again. I burned a lot of calories. Oh the good ol days.
  • rsmehok
    rsmehok Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do it! Per my fitbit charge HR, I average 150 bpm, take around 4500 steps, and burn between 400-450 calories doing low impact Jazzercise (limited/no jumping). I'd say that's pretty good for a "fun" work out.
  • trish916
    trish916 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love my class. My Fitbit also shows about 400-450 per each class, without full blown effort. (my knees and feet need the low impact)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options

Agreed. It's difficult to get that much of a calorie burn in an hour.
  • arunnerdami
    arunnerdami Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can usually get around 500 calories in an hour. It depends on the class and also how much I push myself. Certain classes like Strength60 and Interval Fusion are going to burn less because there's less cardio. Also as my instructors like to remind us "keep moving". The more you stop between songs, letting your heart rate drop, the less calories you'll burn.