New Scale Made Me Cry

Options
This is my 4th or 5th attempt on MFP and losing weight. I am so determined this time and feel I really have a good shot at sticking with it. I've been doing really well the past few weeks but my scale has been acting up. I step on it and the numbers fluctuate but it won't lock in on a number so I it takes 3 or 4 tries to get a weight.

I bought a new scale this week and weighed myself this morning and I'm 4 lbs heavier! I didn't gain 4 lbs, my old scale says I lost 2 but I'm devastated. I know I need to go with the new scale because it's probably accurate but what do I do now, enter a 4 lb gain this week even though I'm pretty sure I lost 2? I have so much weight to lose, every pound really counts and I'm heartbroken that I'm 4 lbs heavier.

Replies

• LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Remember every scale weighs differently. I weigh less on my scale at home then on my parents scale and my doctors scale. Don't let this get you down!!
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged!
    Good for you for making a change!
    Stay focused, u can do it!
  • kwcportland
    kwcportland Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Just enter your weight according to what the new scale says and move on. In reality, your weight didn't change from the old scale to the new one; your body didn't change just because you got a new scale. Whatever number you see doesn't really matter.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You're putting way too much stock into a number. All scales are calibrated differently...you step on three different scales and you're going to get three different numbers most of the time. The scale that my trainer uses when I weigh in with him has me five pounds heavier than my scale at home...but the number doesn't matter one bit...as a trend I'm maintaining weight (which is my goal) on both scales...the actual number is irrelevant.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Every scale is different. Also remember our weight fluctuates during the day. If we weigh ourselves in the morning on our scale and go to our doctors office later and get weighed we would see a difference even if the scales were the same. Don't be discouraged. Enter the weight change in MFP since you are now using a new scale. Weigh and log your food and stay in your deficit. You will get there!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's a number. Your body has not changed. I understand about wanting to see every pound disappear. But the reality is, by the time you get to hold you'll have forgotten about it. Some of it could be today's fluctuation or water weight. It's no reason to cry, feel devastated, or go off track. You don't have to log the "gain". Just leave your logged wright where it is until the scsle "catches up". UNLESS you round feel better logging the new number do you can see it go down as you CONTINUE to lose.
    SW 301
    CW 169.6
    GW 150
    20 months
  • noon1200
    noon1200 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You can't compare the measurements on two scales that way.

You don't have to weigh yourself; if it's going to cause you this much distress, just stop. Take a month off and just focus on accurately tracking your calories.

When you do weigh yourself, don't pay any attention to a single measurement. Because of normal body fluctuations, only look at the average over three or more measurements.
  • Chaagy
    Chaagy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Keep your spirits high.

While it feels like a setback, remember this is a journey, that will likely take weeks, months or years. At the end of that journey, when you have hit your goal weight, will you look back and remember this point. Will it matter that it took you 2-3 extra weeks, or will it matter most that you hit your goal? Most likely, you will be overjoyed to hit your goal. Keep doing the good work that you do!

Also, scales are different. I like going to the doctor, because his scale always measures me 5lbs less than I am - and that's with all my clothes on. But, I use my scale as the record keeper, and try not to let his scale mess with my head.
  • cntrygrl1026
    cntrygrl1026 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself 5X this morning, got 3 different reads! I know I'm retaining fluid. I can feel it. Plus I had finger steaks and fries from Arctic Circle yesterday.
    Take the 4lbs. And move forward knowing that if you give it your best you'll have a loss next week.

I'm bad though I weigh every morning and the number on the scale determines my schedule for the day. It keeps me motivated. It's just feed back and I know before I ever get on the scale if it's going to be up or down. No big deal just keep going.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I've often brought new scales hence I've had mine 14 years
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    4 pounds is really not that much. There is no reason to be so upset over a number. It is just data that you can use to help you track progress. You have a brain. You know that one scale is not the same as another scale any more than one person's opinion on the exact shade of blue of the sky today, is better or worse than another's. They both know it is blue. It isn't like the scale suddenly told you the sky does not exist. 4 pounds is not the difference between whether you are a good person and a bad person. You are who you are no matter what the number on the scale is.

This is kind of why we should not get so hung up on numbers. Numbers are just data. Data does not determine whether or not you are a good or valuable person. How we feel about ourselves and how healthy we are matters. Being able to do the things we love with the people we love matters.

• WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I bought a new scale last fall, and it showed me at 5lb higher than my old one. I feel your pain! What you need to keep in mind is that it's the downward trend that matters, not the absolute number. Give it a few weeks, and when that downward trend continues, pat yourself on the back. You can do this :)
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i only weigh myself once a month for just this reason. the number on the scale STILL holds too much power over my emotions.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You're putting way too much stock into a number. All scales are calibrated differently...you step on three different scales and you're going to get three different numbers most of the time. The scale that my trainer uses when I weigh in with him has me five pounds heavier than my scale at home...but the number doesn't matter one bit...as a trend I'm maintaining weight (which is my goal) on both scales...the actual number is irrelevant.

Bingo.

STOP thinking of your weight in terms of one static number. Differing scales aside, it's always fluctuating up and down by several pounds throughout the day, even on the same scale.

If your goal is to maintain, seek to maintain within a range (+/- 5 lbs)
    If your goal is to gain - look for the long term upward trend
    If your goal is to lose - look for a long term downward trend

The number on the scale is completely immaterial.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    Thanks guys. I know it's just a number but I'm proud of myself that I've been losing each week and even though I lost this week it's going to show a gain on paper which is what I'm bummed about.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You can go back and adjust your old weigh-ins by the amount different between the two scales.

But remember to goal is not to weigh less, but to have less fat. A scale is just a tool in helping determine how much fat you are losing.
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I know it's just a number but I'm proud of myself that I've been losing each week and even though I lost this week it's going to show a gain on paper which is what I'm bummed about.

Then don't write it down until you get back to a loss - I don't record ups here on MFP, just the downs...so sometimes I don't log a weight for a few weeks
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I understand, but try and keep in mind that weight loss isn't linear. You WILL have ups and downs, so you have to look a the trend of your weight. MFP has a function that will put your entered weight numbers on a graph for you, so check that every couple of months. If you can draw a line from the start to the end and it's going down, you're fine. It's a concept that can be hard to internalize, I know I got frustrated a LOT when I first started. But after about 6 months, I noticed that even though some weigh-ins were higher, overall, I was losing weight because my pants were fitting me better. That's when the light bulb came on and I understood what people were saying about monitoring your trend, not every number on the scale.

For an example:
    weightgraph_zpsraitmcxj.jpg

You can see that my weight numbers are all over the place, but in general, they're going down. That's what you're looking for.

And others are right about scales being calibrated differently. I always weigh more on the doctor's scale, but my weight loss was tracked with my home scale, so I mostly ignore the doctor's scales.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    You can go back and adjust your old weigh-ins by the amount different between the two scales.

This is what I was going to suggest. The numbers themselves don't matter but if it makes you feel bad to see that gain, change the history. I understand. I got a new scale that weighed a little higher, too. In a few weeks you'll forget about it. Good luck!