Anybody have/had Plantars Fasciitis?

2»

Replies

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Superfeet are great insoles. Rolling and night splints help but losing weight may conquer it.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    randeortiz wrote: »
    Thanks for all the tips! I'll be giving some a try! My bestie, is a massage therapist, unfortunately, she lives a state away, told me the golfball thing. She also said to stay active. I think it may be the shoes, tho they're expensive, I don't think they're for my foot type. I hope to be going to a running shoe store soon.

I will be adding in the towel/ calf stretching regularly, as I haven't done that yet. My calves are pretty muscular, so I don't think it's because they're not strong enough, maybe they're just tight.

Thanks again for all the advice. You guys are awesome! I hope it isn't a year till it feels better, that would be awful!

The towel stretch was my savior. But I eventually went to a podiatrist and got some special insoles. Other than the cost of the doctor's visit, the insoles were only $30 and My feet feel so much better that I don't need to stretch or roll my feet most days unless I had a really intense workout the day before. It was absolutely worth the trip to the doctor. No question.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Stretching, rolling, insoles, rest...all good. But the thing that has helped me the most was a plantar fasciitis sleeve (sock) made by Feetures. Whenever I get a little flare up I'll wear that sleeve for a few hours or to bed and it works its magic.

• mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    I got a small TENS unit on Amazon for about 30 bucks. I have had no pain in my foot for over 6 months now. I used it 3 times a day for about a month. I looked up placement of the pads on YouTube and got a general idea of where to place them. Then I just moved them around until I found the spot the gave me the most relief. I don't use it anymore unless I start feeling a little tender, but I have not had the pain like I had before.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    randeortiz wrote: »
    For the past month and a half I've been having pretty severe pain in my heel. For about 2-3 weeks I've been rolling it, once to twice a day on a Golfball, which helped tremendously, even got me back to running some. Today, it's been burning a lot (forgot to roll my foot for two days or so). Any tips/ tricks to helping it? I wear good shoes, all day, even in my house. I'm so desperate to get it back to good.

Although I don't have the condition you specified, I have had reconstructive surgery on my foot and have plates, screws and implants put in to mold my foot back to the shape it is supposed to be. I know the extremity of foot pain. My foot quite literally crunches up into a small "fist" after I work out - toes crunch up and are uncontrollable and muscle spasms run rampant all the way up my calves and in the sole of my foot. I still run and lift and push through. My best advice after three-years of dealing with foot issues would be to stretch before working out for at least 15-minutes, give yourself a calf/foot massage after your gym session and get an ace bandage and apply hand warmers (the kind that are air activated) to the most painful areas of your foot. Switch between ice and heat as necessary. The only thing I've found that has given me any relief. Also, take Tylenol prior to working out.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    A good massage therapist, not one with a weekend course who calls them self one. Acupuncture, frozen water bottles to roll your foot on, and lemongrass essential oil. It helps with inflammation and soft tissue repair.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    When I went to the podiatrist he said that my plantar fasciitis was related to arch issues that also were causing my painful bunions. I got $30 orthotic inserts for my shoes (custom plastic that go under the cushion and never need to be replaced) and also use the Superfeet inserts that he highly recommends. I'd recommend that you at least see what the podiatrist has to say. I wish I'd gone a decade ago before my minor problems became major and has caused me to have to stop running and start biking instead.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    edited February 2016
    I didn't have any luck with insoles, but aisics motion control trainers (and wearing low-ish heels!) fixed it for me. I need to avoid completely flat shoes with no support. Ibuprofen gel on the arches also got me through some tough times!
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    I suffered with it for about 18 months before I finally went to a podiatrist. I got custom insoles (approx $500 but covered by insurance) and Birkenstocks for wearing in the house. NO BARE FEET AT ALL, until it was completely healed. (While it was healing I did many of the things being mentioned - rolling on a frozen water bottle was the best for me) I have not had any pain since it healed, and while I still always wear shoes, I do not have to wear the insoles any longer.

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    good support for arches, ice, pain relief and resting it will all help it settle more quickly. Trying to run with this problem only causes the problem to get worse possibly causing long term problems. It can take several weeks for it to settle. I had to wear trainers to keep mine at bay but I am able to wear normal shoes again.
  • ZRx4
    ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
    Thanks all! I think I may take a trip to a podiatrist and see what they say. Looks like I'll be getting new shoes Tuesday. Running seems to be out, walking is getting more uncomfortable, yesterday it started burning and today throbbing
  • tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    I had this and physio told me to pull up my big toe so the tendon is visible and then massage firmly three times a day until it stretched the tendon. I t really works after a little dedication and relieves when it starts flaring up.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Had it for years and only settled with significant weight loss. I would stretch all day every time there was a twinge. I did all of the above except for the lemongrass oil and the big toe trick.

You might try Voltaren gel at bedtime to settle the inflammation.
  • ZRx4
    ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
    I had this and physio told me to pull up my big toe so the tendon is visible and then massage firmly three times a day until it stretched the tendon. I t really works after a little dedication and relieves when it starts flaring up.

This was recommended to me by someone else.
    DiGiovanni and plantar fascia stretch. Tried it last night and my foot felt a lil better this morning. Thanks for suggesting.
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Had it for years and only settled with significant weight loss. I would stretch all day every time there was a twinge. I did all of the above except for the lemongrass oil and the big toe trick.

You might try Voltaren gel at bedtime to settle the inflammation.

I'm not significantly overweight. I have about 20lbs to lose. I think what caused it to flare up, was running on a high incline on the treadmill, and instead of listening to my foot, I popped ibuprofen and ran anyway. Lesson learned.
  • CathReese33
    CathReese33 Posts: 112 Member
    Mine flares up when a) I am carrying too much weight, b) my calves get too tight and c) wearing ballet type shoes whilst standing for periods.
    It is worth mentioning that I have very high arches - other people with Plantar can have low arches. So find the best solution for your foot type.
    The best solutions I have found when having a flare up is to lose body weight and eat clean (reduces fluid swelling), to have foot massages from my dutiful other half and to change shoes to a more supportive type.
  • tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    After I kept having flare ups, I happened upon a website called SocDoc (google it). I followed his advice, which is non conventional, but it cleared up! Trigger point massages, no stretching, walking barefoot more often (I still wear shoes to workout, but I did start walking in the treadmill each night without shoes to strengthen my feet).

I even followed his advice for shin splints and they went away so quickly!

Not sure how much of it was a coincidence or what, but I'm convinced. Try it out.
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Night splint for a good month. Compression sleeves for the feet and plantar fasciitis insoles. Then performing a runner's stretch. One foot stepped onto the wall, stretch your free leg back some and switch your other foot either in or out. It has to twisted slightly. Then lean forward until the knee of the foot on the wall touches the wall. Try to hold that pose for 30 seconds and repeat the other side. It will hurt at first and will burn. But the tendons in your feet need to be strengthened.
    I have equines deformity in both my feet, and plantar fasciitis is a side effect. So I'll be having fasciitis the rest of my life, but I'm in no pain. I always wear my insoles, wear my specific plantar fasciitis shoes and wear my compression sleeves. If I'm ever in serious pain, I break out my splint boot.
    I walk 6 miles on cement and my podiatrist had no idea how I was still walking. Then he said I'll never be able to walk on a full incline on my treadmill.
    Due to training and strengthening my feet with all the proper foot gear, I now been walking on a full incline for many, many months with no pain.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    I have had terrible plantar's fasciitis for the past few months. It was excruciating. I would get up each morning and hobble around, it was awful! Last week, I went to see an acupuncturist. I walked out of there PAIN FREE in one treatment! My foot was still very stiff for a few days, due to months of compensating/cramping it up, but at least the pain had subsided. After several days of massaging and stretching the stiffness out, my food is completely back to normal. I keep walking around excited, thinking "yay! It's so nice to be pain free!"