Bread and smoothies

Options
Do people eat brown bread or do they avoid it ? Also what do people think of pure orange juice, strawberries, raspberries and banana smoothies good or bad idea

Replies

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I often have a whole meal pitta for lunch but stay away from white or pre- sliced stuff because it seems like a lot of calories for not much. I find it difficult to calculate the calories of smoothie so tend to just eat the fruit instead!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Pure orange juice would be what the WHO call "free sugar" and viewed in the same way as other free sugars ie they recommend limiting to 10% of calories.

Strawberries and raspberries I like, with greek yoghurt and/or cream or perhaps in a smoothie with protein powder.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Brown bread - no better/worse than other bread

Smoothies - completely overrated. I would just eat normal fruit as it is....
  • fantasyj
    fantasyj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ok so this topic is about bread so i have a question. So white bread counts as not valuable and additional caloriea. But what about black bread not the brown?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Do people eat brown bread or do they avoid it ? Also what do people think of pure orange juice, strawberries, raspberries and banana smoothies good or bad idea

If it fits your calorie goal you can eat or drink whatever you like and lose weight.
    I eat several different kinds of bread. My default bread is whole wheat bread.
    I don't drink my calories usually as I feel more satisfied when I actually chew food. I'd rather eat a fruit salad than have a smoothie.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I adore smoothies, I work on the feet without a chance for breakfast often so I can blitz up a smoothie and sip it as I go. I'm going to have a banana and kale one with some total for lunch! I also eat bread everyday, mainly for breakfast with some eggs and I've both lost theb maintained. moral is, eat anything within your cals :) if you like smoothies, eat one. If you prefer the fruit, eat that instead !
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    as long as it fits in your calorie and macro goals ... eat what you like .....

sometimes i eat low calorie bread, sometimes i eat calorie laden stuff from the bakery. all depends on the day and what i want and how i want to make it fit ....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Do people eat brown bread or do they avoid it ?

I sometimes eat it. Bread isn't something I care about a lot, so it's something I tend to cut when cutting calories, but I keep in similar foods like potatoes, sweet potatoes, pasta, so it's really just about taste preference.
    Also what do people think of pure orange juice, strawberries, raspberries and banana smoothies good or bad idea

You can drink orange juice if you like it (same answer for most foods, really), but I personally do not since I don't like drinking calories and would rather eat a clementine or three, which fills me up much more (and has fiber). I personally rarely do smoothies for the same reason (drinking calories is less enjoyable to me than eating them) and I don't tend to like smoothie breakfasts simply because I enjoy eggs or, occasionally, oatmeal (another food similar in type to whole grain bread). That said, I think berries are great and eat them really often and making a smoothie of them and bananas would be a perfectly good breakfast for many people. I'd just say watch the calories (they can add up with bananas), consider adding in some greens, like spinach or kale -- they work surprisingly well blended -- and consider whether you'd be better off with some additional source of protein. I find it helpful to have protein in the morning (and with all my meals).

But people vary, so what matters is what works for you and what you like and can fit in your calories.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Whatever fits your calories and your life.

Regular pre-sliced wheat bread is something that I can pretty easily do without, but include sometimes (eating a PB&J sandwich for lunch, because it's what I had on hand). It's fairly high calories for how much I enjoy and feel satiated by it. However, a nice sourdough? I love it. Have to limit that to an occasional and carefully measured portion. I could eat an entire loaf easily.

The smoothie you describe above seems pretty heavy on sugar (not necessarily a bad thing, but personally I would crash about 90 minutes after drinking that), and not very filling long term. I frequently make a smoothie of greek yogurt, berries, protein powder and banana for breakfast.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    What exactly is brown bread? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it all kinda brown?

I do semi-homemade bread (I use my family recipes, but in a bread machine because I'm a lazy cheater, lol), and eat it almost daily. Nothing wrong with bread unless there's a medical reason for you to avoid it.
  • hmichaud09
    hmichaud09 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Often I make my own bread. I make it into dinner rolls measuring each to 1.5 oz of dough. Works well for a quick sandwich, and I can control what I eat.

Smoothies are tricky, as everyone above says you have to watch out for sugar. When I used to do smoothies I'd do 4 or 5 chunks of frozen mango, 3 or 4 frozen strawberries, a fresh kiwi and spinach (1/2 the bullet blender), for liquid I used coconut water.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If you like smoothies, as long as you account for the calories, go for it. It's a great way to add some extra nutrition into your day.

For bread, I prefer wheat bread for sandwiches and the like. But not the wheat bread with the whole grains in it, the texture is REALLY weird to me! We usually go with Nature's Own as it has less sugar in it. But I'm totally on-board with other breads, espically garlic breads, and there's a store that has the Italian brioche bread which is made of awesome and win!
  • bjade18
    bjade18 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love smoothies. Best thing ever in the morning
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I like smoothies as a way to incorporate some nutritious things I don't love eating on their own (plain yogurt, protein powder, greens, bananas) and as a way around the difficulty of having fresh fruit available all the time (frozen stays good much longer). I'm also kind of picky about fresh fruit (if it's even a little past peak, I get a little icked out by it) so frozen and blended is much easier for me to eat than picking through to get rid of all the smooshy bits in a carton of overripe berries. It also feels more like a treat, being similar to a milkshake.

I usually don't add much if any juice, as that's a lot of calories without much added nutritional value.

But you can eat whatever you like as long as it fits within your calories. Eat the whole fruit if you like it better, eat a smoothing if it's convenient. It's easy to rack up the calories quickly in a smoothie, though, so be sure to log everything, don't just count on the idea that it's "healthy."

And many commercial smoothies are very high calorie and high sugar, so homemade is usually better.

Trial and error will help you determine what foods help keep *you* full and satisfied, but there are no "bad" foods, so as long as it fits you calorie and macro goals, you're fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I don't drink fruit juice really save for very occasionally...usually with breakfast while I'm camping or something...it's just a lot of sugar that I don't need and extra calories that I would prefer to use elsewhere...if I'm going to drink my calories, generally it is going to be in the form of beer or wine. I do eat whole fruits. I have sandwiches once in awhile for which I use whole grain breads. I prefer sourdough bread with soups and stews and other such meals. The only time I really do smoothies is as a quick recovery meal after a long ride...the one I make is about 800 calories.
  • ADean3182
    ADean3182 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Love smoothies - just have to be careful how much fruit you use if you're trying to watch your sugar.

My go-to recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/power-smoothie.html and I like to add a tablespoon of chia seeds as they absorb 10x their weight and can help you feel fuller longer.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    The color of bread means nothing. "Brown" bread is sometimes regular refined white flour with caramel coloring added. If you are looking for bread with fiber, look for 100% whole wheat.

I eat bread every day and am down 21 lbs. (Oh no, I sound like Oprah!)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

I eat white farmhouse bread because it has fewer calories than the whole grain equivalent and I eat around 1-4 slices a day dependent on mood, but always 1 with breakfast eggs

I don't like juice preferring whole fruit ...I eat 150g berries minimum a day with Greek yogurt ...cos yum
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Around here "brown" bread is the nasty stuff in a can my parents eat with baked beans. . .Eww.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to offer but this:

Fpl9vWX.png?1