Reclaiming your personality after weight loss

Options
I'm wondering if there are any other people who lost their personality due to weight gain and once the weight started melting off if you returned to the person you once were or an improved version?

I've just lost myself. I know my confidence is the main issue here and once I drop 10-15 more pounds I will start to feel/look like myself again but I'm worried my old personality is just gone...

Did anyone else experience this and find your way back?

Sorry if this sounds silly. I just want to know if other people have/had this issue.

Replies

• bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I lost the confidence I had when I was younger. People would probably have described me as perky, spunky, energetic, bubbly, out-going, extroverted, friendly, etc. I think I lost most of that with my weight gain. I didn't want to draw attention to myself and I noticed I didn't go out as much anymore or partake in other activities which included getting together with old friends. But I am happy to say that after losing the weight, I am back to my old self and having a wonderful time! It feels great to be "me" again. :)

You can do it too!!! Never give up!
  • sccamero
    sccamero Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't like to think I lost myself but there might be a slight change especially when meeting new people. I m a big people person and I never noticed a difference. Since going this weight loss journey, I have felt more confident in myself and more truthful to those around me.
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand exactly which angle you're coming from, but for me, I struggle with having a personality that goes much beyond thinking about my weight/health some days. I'm worried that even once I hit my goals, I'll struggle to go back to thinking and acting with a bit of my normal attitude. My sister complains that I'm a totally different person who only talks about calories and exercise now, and I'm scared for that to be the reality for years to come.
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I lost myself. I became insecure and unsocial. I've lost a lot and there are times I am confident, but then things quickly change and I am insecure again. I still feel obese and feel as though people see me as obese. I hope that will change. I hope things change for you.
  • bonjourdollface
    Options
    I honestly didn't realize how gaining weight made me change as a person until I saw this topic. Now that I have lost weight I realize just how different I had become. I was almost afraid to speak my mind because I was fat. Now I am back to my out loud and outgoing self, but I too have found that my close friends and family say all i do is worry about food/exercise/ all things healthy. I personally think that they are jealous or annoyed with my commitment and success, but that is besides the point. I think that "real" you will come back once you get comfortable with yourself. Everyone goes through this.
  • AmBeRLyNnGETTINThIN
    AmBeRLyNnGETTINThIN Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Im afraid if the opposite...I have always been then funny fat friend....i dont wanna be that funny fat friend anymore I wanna be that hot friend! So Im nervous that once I have hit my goal, my friends may not like the new me. The friend that wants to be the pretty one in the group, the skinny one in the group. The one they can't make jokes with/about anymore....Is anyone scared that their friends may not accept them as the new u! For me I have always been chunky...and Im done being that chunky girl!
  • AmBeRLyNnGETTINThIN
    AmBeRLyNnGETTINThIN Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Im afraid of the opposite...I have always been then funny fat friend....i dont wanna be that funny fat friend anymore I wanna be that hot friend! So Im nervous that once I have hit my goal, my friends may not like the new me. The friend that wants to be the pretty one in the group, the skinny one in the group. The one they can't make jokes with/about anymore....Is anyone scared that their friends may not accept them as the new u! For me I have always been chunky...and Im done being that chunky girl!
  • newgrace
    newgrace Posts: 64
    Options
    I feel the same way. Right now, I'm constantly comparing myself to others and worry about what they think of me, how I dress, how I act, etc. I feel that once I lose the weight I can be more of myself and not hide behind all the fat.
  • readytodrop60
    Options
    I lost the confidence I had when I was younger. People would probably have described me as perky, spunky, energetic, bubbly, out-going, extroverted, friendly, etc. I think I lost most of that with my weight gain. I didn't want to draw attention to myself and I noticed I didn't go out as much anymore or partake in other activities which included getting together with old friends. But I am happy to say that after losing the weight, I am back to my old self and having a wonderful time! It feels great to be "me" again. :)

You can do it too!!! Never give up!

That's exactly how I was described and now I have almost completely withdrawn myself too. So happy to hear you are back to normal! I sure hope I'm as lucky.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Im afraid of the opposite...I have always been then funny fat friend....i dont wanna be that funny fat friend anymore I wanna be that hot friend! So Im nervous that once I have hit my goal, my friends may not like the new me. The friend that wants to be the pretty one in the group, the skinny one in the group. The one they can't make jokes with/about anymore....Is anyone scared that their friends may not accept them as the new u! For me I have always been chunky...and Im done being that chunky girl!

This was me... 100%! I was the snarky, sarcastic, funny fat friend. I've always been super outgoing and I feel like my personality got bigger as I did to make up for the fat. Now, 100 pounds lighter... I actually feel like I have to be careful. What was sarcastic or witty before seems *****y and mean now. Why it changes coming from someone of "average" size I don't know... I have friends who I had considered "besties" who have said they don't like the new me... But the new me is the old me just in a smaller package so I don't get it.

I notice that the big personality also draws A LOT more attention from men than it ever has before... I don't know if I lost myself so to speak but I will say relearning to live as "average" is hard.