Fatigue during workouts

I mix my workouts up - running, walking, swimming, strength, circuit. And recently I've noticed I feel fatigue hitting me much earlier in a workout and lasting longer post workout. I am sure taking a few days off would let my muscles rest - but I am wondering if I could add something nutrition wise that could also be helpful. I don't do any pre/post workout supplements. If I have an am workout, I eat a cliff bar - half before half post. If I workout later, I try and have a bagel thin with pb or chocolate milk as a post workout snack.

Other suggestions for pushing through the fatigue?

Replies

• lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    When you say fatigue, what exactly do you mean? And are you taking any rest days? If you're not, you should. Also, are you eating enough? Sleeping enough? Working out a lot/with intensity takes a lot out of our bodies, and if you're not adequately replenishing via food and rest, you are going to feel like you are running on empty.

If you simply must do something every day, then make sure you vary the intensity. I.e. don't try to hit 100 percent every day. Have a couple of easy days a week where you do a relaxing yoga class or push the baby in the stroller.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    I think you may want to flex what you're eating before and after your workout. If you're doing heavy calorie restriction the fatigue you're feeling is your body telling you that it isn't getting what it needs to repair itself from the exertions.

• caser9
    caser9 Posts: 6 Member
    I am in maintenance. I do 60-90 minutes 5 days a week and walk 30 minutes on the off days. I typically eat around 2000-2200 calories a day. I sleep fairly well - in bed from 9p-5/6a. And I've been on this schedule for a few months now - with no issues. The fatigue in describing is if I set out to run 6 miles - I end up walking where I normally wouldn't or it feels harder than it had. When lifting I take longer breaks - feel like I need more water, etc.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    caser9 wrote: »
    I mix my workouts up - running, walking, swimming, strength, circuit. And recently I've noticed I feel fatigue hitting me much earlier in a workout and lasting longer post workout. I am sure taking a few days off would let my muscles rest - but I am wondering if I could add something nutrition wise that could also be helpful. I don't do any pre/post workout supplements. If I have an am workout, I eat a cliff bar - half before half post. If I workout later, I try and have a bagel thin with pb or chocolate milk as a post workout snack.

Other suggestions for pushing through the fatigue?

How often do you have rest days? Have you ever deloaded or taken several days/a week off from exercise?
  • caser9
    I would say I take 2 complete off days a month. Otherwise I walk 30 minutes as a rest day. I took 2 weeks off in October post marathon. But other than that not for awhile. But I don't lead a super active lifestyle. I stay at home and without my workouts I would never reach 10,000 steps a day.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    How's your water intake?
  • caser9
    3-4 fill ups of a 24 oz bottle.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    If all other things are equal but now you're just feeling different or off you may want to consider mentioning it to your doctor. There are some pretty insidious curve balls your body can throw at you health wise and the creep in nice and gradual to the point where they almost seem the new normal.
  • caser9
    Thanks for the input.