what do you do when you are WAY over?

Options
So today is Father's Day and I went out of my way to make all of my husband's favorite dishes. So...that means LOTS of high calorie food...Anyways, I was WAY WAY WAY over on calories despite my small portions.

So what do you do to balance out a super bad day? I know I'm retaining a lot of water and there is NO way i ate 3500 calories this weekend. I was 196.2 on friday and 203 today. what??? lol. I know it's not legit but still, it REALLY sucks to see that on the scale.

Anyways, any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• jenniefromtherock
    jenniefromtherock Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Forgive myself and start again tomorrow! I was over by almost 200 calories!
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Well unfortunately there really isn't a whole lot you can do besides go crazy and almost kill yourself exercising! Some days you just go over. Tomorrow is a new day. That's how I see it anyway.
  • lorischlitz
    Options
    It's probably water weight. I wouldn't get to frustrated. I would do a little extra exercise. Maybe, walk for 30-60 minutes or so. Have a coffee and get some energy .. Plus coffee is a diuretic.
  • Bryank930
    Bryank930 Posts: 3
    Options
    I don't let it bother me. Just try to make your goal the next few days. ONE day isn't going to destroy all your hard work.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    It's ok to have one of those kinds of days here and there. Just don't weigh yourself til later in the week after you've had some good workouts and good eating days so you don't get too discouraged. I was way over today too, b/c of our father's day picnic. Enjoy the days you get to celebrate with family and friends and remember they are the most important things in life, not just the number on the scale.:wink:
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water tommorrow and eat a little lighter on prosseced carbs, including whole wheat, brown rice ect..
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Breathe. Start with promising yourself not to get on the scale after you have eaten bad things. Then get back on the wagon tomorrow, up your water a little bit, and move on with your life. One bad day will not ruin your plan. It just delays it a little bit!!!
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the scale for a few days, even if you usually weigh every day; this isn't "real weight" that you've gained, and it'll probably have normalized by the time you return to the scale 4-7 days later. (But in the meantime, staring at that number is still disheartening! So take the batteries out and bury the thing in the closet.) Drink lots and lots and lots of water. It'll help cleanse your system a bit faster. And lastly, don't worry too much about it. (: Holidays are infrequent and we all mess up once in a while. The important thing is to go back to your usual routine tomorrow, both nutritionally and fitness-wise, and keep on keeping on. (:
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I did a similar thing the other day...

1. log it.
    2. accept it.. let it go..forgive yourself... you're human
    3. end your day, start NEW tomorrow. :)

(personally) I don't try to "fix" it the next day by eating way low (if it's over 500 calories) or by eating super clean.. b/c that just makes me want to go over the next day and it turns into a never ending cycle!
  • jessilea53
    jessilea53 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It probably is just water. Just start tomorrow as a new day. Keep up with your calories and exercise. Drink lots of water.

We all have days like that. Dont kick yourself for it. Like you said you didnt eat over you calories enough to gain that weight in legitimate lbs.

Keep up the hard work!

Jessica
  • scantrll
    scantrll Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I would try and drink a few extra glasses of water to help flush your system out. And know that tomorrow is another day and all you can do is move forward! :happy: Don't stress, you know what you need to do, just keep doing it.
  • texasladysv
    texasladysv Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    When you have a bad day, or weekend, you just START FRESH! Do Really GOOD the rest of the week & cotinue on... You Celebrated & had a great weekend, and that is life~ you enjoyed yourself... Now is time to keep going, & just keep pluggin on... Within a week or so, your weight should be back to what it was, drink lots of water that always helps... It may take a few days or a whole week, but as long as you are continuing you are doing what you can, & that is all you can do...

Good luck~
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I would agree with everyone else, do not weigh maybe until Wednesday, watch everything the next few days.....cut back a little on the carbs....Just get refocused, don't beat yourself up and get back on track!! :)
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    My advice (and I've been where you are... lol) DON'T let it get to you... DON'T kill yourself trying to work it all off immediately.. DON'T try to eat LESS in the next few days to counteract it (it doesn't really work that way and you'll only send your body into survival mode, which you DON'T want)... DO drink LOTS of water to get rid of the water weight... DO forgive yourself... and DO just get back on the wagon tomorrow. I can (almost) guarantee that weight will be gone again within a week or two.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago at work we all got a copy of this book called. SUMO. Shut Up and Move On. Best book ever...

Basically, allow yourself to wallow for a little while, but then Shut Up and Move On. Tomorrow is a new day. How many days have you been under by 50 or 100 calories? Do you worry about going and eating to make up for it? I haven't looked at your diary... but I don't think so.

Wait a couple of days - eat well, drink plenty of water and stick to your normal exercise routine. Then weigh and see that although you had a bump in the road, it is smooth again now!
  • AlexandraR2011
    AlexandraR2011 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water! I chug water like no one's business and eat light the next day. Don't feel bad or anything! It's a celebration day just be tighter on eating this week :) Also if you weighed after eating that's probably what bumped you up on the scale. I know I didnt gain 5 pounds in 7 hours :)
  • ghoztt
    ghoztt Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the food that you had. Go to sleep. Wake up tomorrow with a fresh calorie counter. Get back on track and keep going. Easy!

Don't ever feel guilty about going over for one day. You've worked hard to stick to your goals for this long, don't let one measly day discourage you. Or two. Just so long as you keep going that's the important thing.
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I excercise the day after burning about 600 cals and I don't eat them back as I normally would do.
  • cokpara
    cokpara Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i would say stay away from the scale for a while... sometimes it's mentally counterproductive... just drink water to flush things out and start over new tomorrow. you know that extra "weight" you saw on the scale is water weight also, not your true weight... so don't even sweat it, just sweat it up tomorrow!!!
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! you guys are awesome! i think it's awesome that for once i'm not SUPER pissed at myself. i thought "ya, i probably shouldn't have had that extra 1/2 a burger" but then i was over it. i'm just going to focus on water tomorrow and just eat like i normally would. :-) thanks for all the support! i love my MFP family!