Calorie goal for 5ft woman-advice from those who reached or almost reached their goal

Options
So, I feel a little uncomfortable talking about my body, but I am 5ft and as you can see in my picture, not a small framed woman : ) lol anyway, i am currently eating 1400 calories and I exercise so I can eat more, but I was wondering, is this enough? please tell me it isn't ha. I found some calculation online but I want an answer from real women my height who are also curvy.

How much do you guys eat?

Replies

• fallinginreversexo
    Options
    how do u change kilojoules to calories on this app I wanna use calories but I'm on default kilojoules
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight as expected and at a reasonable rate? Are you feeling energetic, happy and satisfied (you can't expect to feel stuffed all the time while losing weight, but you're not supposed to be overly hungry either)? If so, you are eating an appropriate amount of food/calories. 1400 calories sounds about right for someone your height wanting to lose weight. If you want to eat more, you can do that, and lose the weight over a longer term; set your goal lower, for instance to 0.5 pounds per week.
  • bezlooney
    bezlooney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Im 5'3" excersise everyday for 1-2 hours and amin general an active person and dont lose unlessi eat 1100 or less a day. And i dont eat back my excersise cals. Sorry but us shorties dont have much wiggle room.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    aferr12 wrote: »
    So, I feel a little uncomfortable talking about my body, but I am 5ft and as you can see in my picture, not a small framed woman : ) lol anyway, i am currently eating 1400 calories and I exercise so I can eat more, but I was wondering, is this enough? please tell me it isn't ha. I found some calculation online but I want an answer from real women my height who are also curvy.

How much do you guys eat?

Find your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) - this is maintenance for you. Include exercise up front and subtract 250 calories for 1/2 pound a week.

TDEE is also going to depend upon your age and activity level too.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

If 1400+exercise has you losing 1/2 pound a week, then you've found the right spot
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3, medium frame, and exercise 6 days a week and was losing at 1200. My trainer said to bump it up to 1400 - she thought the amount of activity was too high for 1200. I'm three pounds heavier than I was 5 weeks ago when I hired her. My clothes feel looser and I see more visible muscle and ribs, but the scale is moving in the wrong direction. If my measurements are off next week, I'm going back to 1200. It's playing with my head too much.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm 4'11 and 122 lbs. mfp gives me 1200 for 1/2 lb weekly loss. I eat more due to exercise.

Edit: when I was 135ish lbs I think mfp gave me 1270 for 1/2 lb loss (again, before exercise)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    5 ft in the 120-125 range and maintain on around 1200 and lose if a little less.
  • Tinalovesfoods
    Tinalovesfoods Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    1400 sounds about right... if not a little more than you should be eating to lose weight. Depends on your frame and muscle mass, I think. I'm supposed to eat 1500 to maintain. It's really hard. I'd like to add more people around my height (4'11-5 feet) and check out your food diaries... maybe someone can check mine out and see what I can improve on?? Thanks. I'm down to 119, but I'd like to lose 5-7 more pounds.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,639 Member
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    I'm 5'3, medium frame, and exercise 6 days a week and was losing at 1200. My trainer said to bump it up to 1400 - she thought the amount of activity was too high for 1200. I'm three pounds heavier than I was 5 weeks ago when I hired her. My clothes feel looser and I see more visible muscle and ribs, but the scale is moving in the wrong direction. If my measurements are off next week, I'm going back to 1200. It's playing with my head too much.

The number on the scale means nothing if your body is transforming in the right direction. And it sounds like it is.

OP, I'm 5'2", old, and was losing weight on 2000-2400 calories a day BUT I walk A LOT so I can eat more.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I am still trying to figure out my balance. I am also 5ft and started 6 weeks ago at 154 lbs. I started at 1200 calories plus half my exercise calories - so avg 1300 calories. After several weeks, trendweight was showing me an avg loss of 1.5lbs a week - faster than I wanted. Plus, I was getting a bit frustrated with how strict my diet had to be.

So last week, I upped it by about 200-250 cals a day (eating all my exercise calories). I am waiting 2-3 weeks to see how this will affect my weight. I figure watching trendweight closely will help me figure out the right balance for me to avg my desired 1lb loss.

I have actually still been losing quickly since last week. Another 2lbs loss since I upped my calories lol. Trying to be patient and wait for my trendweight stats.

Another MFP'er said that winning is being able to eat as much as possible while still losing weight. I like that :)
  • aferr12
    aferr12 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    5 ft in the 120-125 range and maintain on around 1200 and lose if a little less.

Thanks! I think 120-125 is a good range for me, too, so this is helpful.