Breastfeeding mamas

Options
Do you log the calories burned from BF'ing? And if so, how?

I'm one month PP, and just getting back into working out, want to lose weight, but also don't want to hinder my supply, so I'm being cautious not to cut out too much!

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Do you log the calories burned from BF'ing? And if so, how?

I'm one month PP, and just getting back into working out, want to lose weight, but also don't want to hinder my supply, so I'm being cautious not to cut out too much!

Yes I log them. Personally I enter "breastfeeding" under a cardio exercise. I know you can add it as a negative adjustment under food as well, whatever you prefer.
  • autumnpennell
    autumnpennell Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I hadn't heard of negative adjustments!
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    When I set up my account, I entered my current weight and told them I was very physically active and set my weight loss goal to 1/2 lb a week. MFP gave me the right number of calories. I didn't know you could log breastfeeding. Good to know! Congrats ladies!
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I set myself to maintain and let the breastfeeding be my defecit. Lost 15kg in 10 months.
  • OblasMummy
    OblasMummy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I added mine in snacks. There is a food entry for full breastfeeding 500 cal and then breastfeeding an infant or toddler 300 cal.
  • kstarallen
    kstarallen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Same as @katem999

Down 27 lbs in about 4 months.
  • autumnpennell
    autumnpennell Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    @kstar_lee what are you set at??? And what do your workouts look like?? I would love to lose 27 pounds in 4 months.
    I've GAINED weight since have my baby. 6 weeks on Thursday. Everyone told me it would melt off with breastfeeding so I was discouraged when I gained.
  • kstarallen
    kstarallen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    @autumnpennell

I set my goals to maintain my current weight and use the 500 or so calories that I burn per day breastfeeding as my deficit. So I eat about 1770 per day plus any exercise calories. It works quite well, I lose over a pound/week. I log my calories loosely because I am breastfeeding so if I feel that I need to go over my calorie allowance, I do. Also I eat whatever I want, just lesser portions. I don't do high protein, or 'clean eating' etc. Now I didn't start doing this until about three months postpartum because it is very important that you establish your supply before messing with losing weight. I made sure that doing this wouldn't affect my supply in any way. Maybe try for a couple of weeks first and see what it does for your supply.
    I drink 60+ ounces of water a day, again because I don't want to lose my supply, and for fitness I run/walk when it's nice out and do JM DVDs.

Hope this helps! :) feel free to add me if you want.