Hungry on weightlifting day

Options
5'10 155lbs 110 lbs lbm 1200 calories

3 weeks into diet

I eat back about 50% of my exercise calories. Try for at least 80g protein a day. Haven't had an issue with being hungry..... Except on days I lift weights then I feel like I'm starving. I have been eating more in those days because I *know* I'm burning calories lifting but I have no clue how much more I should be eating. 100 cals 500 cals no more but increase my fat/protein/carb magic ratio.

Advice on what works for you guys?

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You are eating too little I'm guessing. 1200 cals for someone that is 5'10 is low. I'm female, 5'9, 152lbs, lift weights, and lose on at least 1650, not counting exercise.

What are your health goals?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I would eat until I'm satisfied. Experiment until you find the right balance. You can even bank extra calories from your rest days to use for weightlifting days if you'd like. I do resistance training three days per week, but exercise six days per week and I'm active aside from that. I'm 5'3.5" and 112.5 pounds. I regularly take in 1600 to 2100 calories per day when I'm losing 0.5 pounds per week. Your body is probably really hungry on lifting days with good reason, so you definitely need to feed it.
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    135 lbs then switch to maintenance or just below and try to drop my body fat below 20%.

1200 is about an 800 calorie deficit for me. I've lost 5lbs in 3 weeks which seems right on target. If I was hungry everyday I'd be more concerned that 1200 + exercise was too low, but it's only weightlifting days.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    kettiecat wrote: »
    135 lbs then switch to maintenance or just below and try to drop my body fat below 20%.

1200 is about an 800 calorie deficit for me. I've lost 5lbs in 3 weeks which seems right on target. If I was hungry everyday I'd be more concerned that 1200 + exercise was too low, but it's only weightlifting days.

800 calorie deficit is too aggressive for your weight, in my opinion.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

This. You are within 20lbs of goal, so your weightloss goal should be .5-1lb a week. Too aggressive of a goal can cost you lean muscle whether you are weightlifting or not. Most it should be is 250-500 cal deficit a day. So yes, you need to increase your intake whether you're hungry or not. Or eat more on weightlifting days to make up for low intakes on off days.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

1200 is pretty steep, as others have mentioned. I find a good solid hit of protein right after I work out helps with the hunger beast, especially after swimming, and usually nom a protein bar like Pure Protein.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »

This. You are within 20lbs of goal, so your weightloss goal should be .5-1lb a week. Too aggressive of a goal can cost you lean muscle whether you are weightlifting or not. Most it should be is 250-500 cal deficit a day. So yes, you need to increase your intake whether you're hungry or not. Or eat more on weightlifting days to make up for low intakes on off days.

Just because you're not hungry, does not mean that you're satisfying all your needs. Your body needs micronutrients, it's a little bit harder to get all the micronutrients you need on 1200 calories without eating things you'd normally want to eat (badly phrased). i.e. , if I ate 2500 calories, I could eat 500 calories of ice cream and go about the day and hit my micros... whereas on your 1200 calories, I'd have to make sure I'm hitting my micros as there isn't much wiggle room for foods with less nutritional value.

250-500 calorie deficit. Your close to your goal, there's no point in sacrificing muscle and potentially derailing at this point.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Let me put it this way, I'm 5'3 127lbs and eat roughly 2200 calories on lifting days. I'm eating at TDEE plus 100 calories and haven't gained fat. It's taken some tinkering with calories to figure out.

Even if you are trying to lose fat, you should be eating more than 1200 calories. You could also probably benefit from increasing protein (I generally aim for about 150 grams/day).
  • kettiecat
    Options
    Ok maybe i've got this planned wrong.
    This is 120lbs me, when I was my most active but still "skinny fat".
    7ukp4vgd2f7b.jpg

My thought was not to drop to 120 and then bulk, but only drop to 135 and slowly recomp. Right now I'm 35 lbs over weight I didn't think a 2lbs a week loss when you had 35 to lose was too aggressive.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Ok maybe i've got this planned wrong.
    This is 120lbs me, when I was my most active but still "skinny fat".
    7ukp4vgd2f7b.jpg

My thought was not to drop to 120 and then bulk, but only drop to 135 and slowly recomp. Right now I'm 35 lbs over weight I didn't think a 2lbs a week loss when you had 35 to lose was too aggressive.

It's pretty aggressive. By losing rate an aggressive pace, you're increasing the chance of becoming skinny fat again. It's counter intuitive.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that you should eat more each day. But, if you feel that you don't want to increase your calorie intake on non-workout days, then eat to maintenance or slightly above on workout days and set yourself an aggressive protein goal.
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Your body is telling you something... If you are concerned, add slowly on lifting days... Don't be afraid of good carbs, either.

Good snacks on lifting days; cottage cheese, peanut butter and bananas, more clean protein (lean steak if you are a meatatarian), yams

Also make sure to have a good meal after working out...I normally don't eat rice, but a nice dish of brown rice and a lean protein can give your body what it needs.

Focus on feeding your muscles as opposed to the silly numbers...

Good luck,
    R
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I've been basically on a 2 year recomp. I went from a size 8 to a 2. Aggressively cutting calories isn't a good idea; like someone else said, that's more likely to end with "skinny fat." If you are lifting (with progressive overload), I wouldn't get stuck on the #s. When I lift, I think MFP gives me a 100 calorie burn (that's during the activity), but there's an afterburn that isn't being taken into account; and an eventual increase in muscle will require more calories to sustain it anyway.

I started by eating at a small deficit (generally around 100 calories), worked back-up to TDEE, and started playing around with reverse dieting; I've been able to add about 100-200 calories/day over TDEE. Of course, this was all while heavy lifting with progressive overload. It's a slow process, but I think you would be happier in the long run with a slower recomp.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    That doesn't look like skinny fat to me. It looks like 18-20%. Gorgeous.
    Take it slower OP. Was the weight gain from pregnancy?
  • kettiecat
    Options
    I had twins 2 years ago, dr had me eating 6000 cals a day. Then breastfeeding I just ate until I wasn't hungry. When that stopped I just kept on eating too much and gained weight. I was around 130 within a month of giving birth so I can't really blame the pregnancy for the weight gain.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    Good for you being honest with yourself.
    If you need any tips to avoid and get around kids snacks and food in the house problem let me know.
  • JayDam1
    JayDam1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Don't let people scare you off your plan. I believe your goals are fine, and not to aggressive. Just make sure you maintain your discipline in bringing your body off such a deficit and don't rebound. Look up the principles of reverse dieting, its a great way to come off an aggressive weight loss and not gain much rebound weight.

Also, you could look into two options related to your workout days. Work in a refeed day every once in while, or time your daily meals differently to ensure you don't get too hungry. I'm on an "aggressive" weight loss plan as well right now, and I time 70-80% of my carb intake around my workout time to help with energy and hunger.

Your body telling you its hungry means nothing as long as you can deal with it, and you KNOW you have given it what it needs. You can either suffer through it, or rebalance food intake to minimize it either in timing each day, or considering refeed days.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    I think it's too aggressive and she is setting herself up for a binge! You need to factor in the lifestyle too. She'll be very tired and emotionally stretched.
  • JayDam1
    JayDam1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Binges are not diet induced, but mentally induced. Only she can know if she will binge after an aggressive diet. Its about discipline, and only she knows herself.

If she feels she can do it, then I believe she should be supported and encouraged, not told a binge is likely in her future - because it doesn't have to be. Plenty of people diet aggressively and maintain their discipline in their recomp.

I get the fear, because a lot of people succumb, but then a lot of people don't as well.
  • Springfield1970
    edited February 2016
    Options
    When someone is eating 600-800 (*at least! as I assume she's lifting 2-3 times a week and there may be other cardio)calories under their TDEE, no amount of mental strength is going to overcome the underfuelling that is occurring physically.
    There is no doubt that she is cutting into lean body mass at this point, which is a very bad idea indeed. No amount of protein or lifting will stop that. It's not just muscle that is at risk here, it's important organs, bone mass, hair, nails, blood volume, the hormonal system gets compromised.

I am going to strongly strongly recommend that the OP cuts at 10-20% below her daily maintenance figure, finds out her burns through research and records, and eats all her exercise calories back.

In other words, a 1-2lb fat loss ONLY per month. Otherwise she loses her muscles along with any chance of being a low body fat percentage.