Am I dropping weight too fast?

Options
On January 31st I weighed myself and decided it was time. On 2/1 I started the diet and have been eating super clean in smaller portions since then. I've cheated a couple times here and there but never in large quantities and have gone right back to the diet. Milk was a big thing for me to drink with food. I would go through a gallon every couple days. Aside from a couple glasses over the past couple weeks I've essentially cut it all out. So again for the past two weeks 96% of my intake has been super clean, smaller portions, and a ton of water. All exercise has come from walking the dog. I feel better. My question though for anyone who may have some insight on this is am I loosing weight too fast? In a little less than two weeks I've dropped 10.8 pounds. This app suggests that I take in about 2200 calories a day. Every day with the exception of the couple times I cheated I've left anywhere from 200-700 calories on the table. Not because I'm starving myself because I've been full. It's just how it's worked out. I've gone from 274 to 263.8 since 2/1. Is that water weight? I'm all for getting healthier and I'm happy with what's happened so far but I just want to make sure it's being done right. Is it normal in the beginning to drop that much that quick? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Replies

• areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    i lost 19 lbs in the first two weeks. i wouldn't be alarmed by your quick initial drop. and so long as you are not trying to starve yourself, stopping eating when you are full is a good habit to develop. best of luck going forward:-)
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    It's probably water weight.

What are you washing your food with that makes it so clean? The last time I talked about something being so clean was when I detailed the car last weekend.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The first couple of weeks are when you'll drop weight the fastest if you stay on or close to the plan. It's not too fast.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I lost REALLY fast initially too. It seems to be the predominant experience of people on here who have 50+ lbs to lose. I was never hungry initially either and I was 1200cal/day to start. I've since had to up that and my loss rate has slowed but in a good way:)
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, it will slow down. It's nice to have that initial 'whoosh' so enjoy it. :) Good job.
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I started at 275lbs. (33yr old female) I also made huge changes to my food, very similar to you. I lost about 5lbs/week for almost the first 2 months. My results aren't typical, i have a joint disease and inflammation probably played a role. It will slow down. I say enjoy it while it lasts.

I will caution you on leaving 6-7-800 calories "on the table" though. You'd be better off finding higher calorie options. (Even if you feel full and your not experienceing lack of energy) I managed a couple yrs low calorie before my body said hell no, i got tired, grumpy, hungry, dry skin and hair. I continued to loose very very slowly. If your goal is to loose lots of weight at some point you'll paint yourself into a corner with the low calories and you'll have noplace to go besides a diet break or reverse dieting ect.

I did a break over Christmastime and now i'm eating nearly 1000 more calories a day than i was before and loosing twice as fast.

You'll get lots of replies to your question. Take whats useful to you and leave the rest. Good luck to you!
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    You are both losing water weight, and heavier so you will notice weight drop rapidly now. Once fat makes up a smaller percentage of your total mass, you will notice this slow. As long as you are feeling full, and not having any weak spells, hunger pangs, etc, you are probably eating enough.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I had the exact starting weight as you, and I used to drink that much milk too!!! I lost 7 pounds the first week and 5 the 2nd week, then 3 pounds... The heavier your starting weight, the more you initially lose, that plus the milk we love cutting it out makes a difference... Just know that it's going to slow down or come to a hault, most of it it water weight but definitely doing great! After a few months 1-2 pounds will be normal, good luck! You will feel better each week
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    The "cleanliness" of your food (whatever that means) has nothing to do with how quickly you lose, only the relative energy content of your intake vs your output.

When you're large, eating at a big deficit, and new to weight loss, it's common to see big, rapid drops, some of which are water weight. These will gradually slow. It's also likely that as you continue, and novelty/enthusiasm wanes while loss slows, it will become less easy to remain satisfied at a huge deficit.

Remember when that happens (and that will very, very likely happen, and possibly starting soon) that a. it's okay to eat the actual amount MFP suggests and b. that a loss of 0.5 lbs-2 lbs a week is, despite your early rapid rate of loss, a perfectly respectable to great rate of loss- that in fact there will likely be weeks when you lose nothing on the scale, and it's still okay, and that sticking to the plan is still the best way to get to your goals.

If you're still dropping at this rate at 4 or 6 weeks in, I'd be concerned and suggest recalculating what you're eating and burning, because as a long-term thing, this would suggest over-restriction. But early on for a large person, it's pretty normal.

And forget about "clean", it's a meaningless adjective re: food, unless you mean scrubbing your produce before eating. Worry about macros, about calorie content, about micronutrients, but "clean" isn't a useful concept, and it's so easy for that vague goal/restriction to become the stumbling block that forces someone in to all-or-nothing thinking that makes them give up on a plan when it gets tough. It's okay to eat foods that you're currently categorizing as "unclean" as long as you eat them in quantities that fit within your calorie goals. You will still lose weight. And you can put every pound you've lost back on eating the "clean" foods you're eating now, if you start eating them in large enough quantities.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I started at 257 (5'1") and dropped 9 pounds the first week, 6 the second. Then I leveled off and over the course of year lost an average of 10 pounds a month (seriously, I weighed myself 12 month to the day after I started and was down 120 pounds exactly - I like easy math). Enjoy the first couple of weeks when you lose rapidly but don't expect it to continue - it will even out. I would go 2 or 3 weeks with a small loss or none at all and then go down 3 or 4 pounds all at once.

Using a weight grapher really helps - it can show you the trend and the pattern of how you lose. Very helpful information and kept me from getting discouraged. I used weightgrapher.com (it's free).

Good luck to you!
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Forget about the animosity shown from some here, define your foods as clean or unclean as you wish. We all know what you mean you say "unclean", believe me you eat a cheap and nasty ready made meal there will be lots of nasty additives in there, I would certainly define that as unclean and something I don't want to eat. First time poster what appears to be being mocked by experienced users. Shame on you lot, he's seeking advice, if it were me I'd be put off posting again never mind replying to your own thread.

That all being said welcome and congrats on starting your journey. As a couple of the more friendlier members have pointed out its not abnormal for the initial drop to be slightly higher than you anticipated, it would continue that way but don't let it discourage you. As long as you continue to eat at a deficit and are meeting your daily macros you will steadily loose weight. Keep up the "clean" eating.
  • ClosetBayesian
    Options
    Forget about the animosity shown from some here, define your foods as clean or unclean as you wish. We all know what you mean you say "unclean", believe me you eat a cheap and nasty ready made meal there will be lots of nasty additives in there, I would certainly define that as unclean and something I don't want to eat. First time poster what appears to be being mocked by experienced users. Shame on you lot, he's seeking advice, if it were me I'd be put off posting again never mind replying to your own thread.

That all being said welcome and congrats on starting your journey. As a couple of the more friendlier members have pointed out its not abnormal for the initial drop to be slightly higher than you anticipated, it would continue that way but don't let it discourage you. As long as you continue to eat at a deficit and are meeting your daily macros you will steadily loose weight. Keep up the "clean" eating.

The point is that cleanliness has nothing whatsoever to do with his weight loss.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Ah okay that was your point, that didn't come across. I thought you were trying and failing to be funny at the expense of someone who obviously needs advice, not mocking.
    It's probably water weight.

What are you washing your food with that makes it so clean? The last time I talked about something being so clean was when I detailed the car last weekend.
  • sschramm566
    sschramm566 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Just wanted to say thanks for all the responses. Most of you confirmed what I had already figured but wanted to double check with people with more knowledge on the subject or people it had happened too. From what I can gather eventually (sooner than later) it is going to plateau. When that happens is when I am going to start to incorporate more exercise. As I said all of it now comes from walking the dog but I'm interested to see how much water weight comes off and how quick on its own from just dieting.

Also in regards to my original post I'm not sure why so many people singled out two words that really had nothing to do with the grand scheme of the question I was asking. I used the phrase "super clean" as another way of saying very healthy. Just another way to say that i started a good diet and have stuck to it. I'm well aware that it actually doesn't have anything to do with how "clean" food is. Just another phrase for me eating very nutritious. That includes calories and macros and all the rest. And of course that has everything to do with my weight loss now that I'm not filling my body full of crap.

Thanks again!
  • StencilChild
    StencilChild Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I guess I am a minority that believes eating "clean" does help with weightloss. 500 calories may be 500 calories, but 500 calories in junk/crap food will definitely hinder you more than 500 calories in fruit/veg. All calories are not equal, IMHO
  • ClosetBayesian
    Options
    I guess I am a minority that believes eating "clean" does help with weightloss. 500 calories may be 500 calories, but 500 calories in junk/crap food will definitely hinder you more than 500 calories in fruit/veg. All calories are not equal, IMHO

A calorie is a unit of energy. All calories are the same, in that they are all units of energy. 500 calories from fruits and vegetables may come with more vitamins, minerals, and fiber than 500 calories from "junk/crap" (note also that the definition of "junk/crap" is both contextually specific and varies wildly from person to person), but in terms of calories, they are exactly the same. Being 500 calories over maintenance will lead to weight gain; it matters not a whit whether those calories are from junk/crap or fruit/veg.
  • ClosetBayesian
    Options
    Good morning! Just wanted to say thanks for all the responses. Most of you confirmed what I had already figured but wanted to double check with people with more knowledge on the subject or people it had happened too. From what I can gather eventually (sooner than later) it is going to plateau. When that happens is when I am going to start to incorporate more exercise. As I said all of it now comes from walking the dog but I'm interested to see how much water weight comes off and how quick on its own from just dieting.

Also in regards to my original post I'm not sure why so many people singled out two words that really had nothing to do with the grand scheme of the question I was asking. I used the phrase "super clean" as another way of saying very healthy. Just another way to say that i started a good diet and have stuck to it. I'm well aware that it actually doesn't have anything to do with how "clean" food is. Just another phrase for me eating very nutritious. That includes calories and macros and all the rest. And of course that has everything to do with my weight loss now that I'm not filling my body full of crap.

Thanks again!

It doesn't. You could lose weight on a diet of candy bars alone if you ate fewer calories than you need to maintain your current weight (nutritionally not fantastic, but you lose weight based on calories, not vitamin content). That's why people are harping on those words. If you eat more calories than you burn, even if those foods that put you over your calorie limit are super nutritious, you will gain weight.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter, except for health and for satiety and that latter definitely affects weight loss.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making these choices! Eating 1000 cals of healthy food will keep you fuller & contribute to your health & nutrition more than consuming 1000 of beer and fries. 10 lbs the first 2 weeks is ok, but if it keeps up at that pace you should up your cals a little. Good luck!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,135 Member
    Options
    First two weeks there will be a lot of water weight dropped with a little fat. Keep to your calorie goal, and I bet in the next 2-3 weeks you will see things slow down a lot.