Bagels

Options
Hi all
I thought Bagels were supposed to be low fat and hence low calories, but it is coming up at 228 calories. That's a surprise! Thought I was going for the diet savvy option :noway:

Replies

• Joanneh
    Joanneh Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    I thought Bagels were supposed to be low fat and hence low calories, but it is coming up at 228 calories. That's a surprise! Thought I was going for the diet savvy option :noway:
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Bagels are really not a health food. (I used to think they were.) They are made with processed flours, have few nutrients, and are high in calories. Even "whole grain" ones have little actual whole grain in them. I like my whole grain wraps and breads, but even those I try to eat in moderation. It's best to get one's carbs from fruits and vegetables.
  • finzup
    finzup Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Some bagels can be upwards of 450 calories!!

I love them . so I have been eating Kraft Bagel-fuls -- they are 200 calories each (including the cream cheese) and they satisfy the 'bagel craving'
  • Joanneh
    Joanneh Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    They advertise them here in Ireland as a low fat option. Liars :)
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    i find "alternitive western bagels" (in database their called western bagels) are under 200. the only place i can find them here is publix. also "weigt watchers" are big bagels and are under 200. both are good.
  • DaisyJane
    DaisyJane Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    This is really disappointing... I love love love bagels. I just cant live without bread to fill me up- bagels are very good at filling the hole (no pun intended!)

Any alternative suggestions for a bread lover?
  • DaisyJane
    DaisyJane Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I should say that where i am in uk you can only really get New York bagels or supermarket own brands...