I don't understand net calories

Options
Hi guys,

I'm new here. I've been in anorexia and bulimia recovery for a very long time.

I started tracking Cals again because I have gained recently. I've had a binge day this week, as well as a day with a few parties so I overate then too plus alcohol.

I had 2 days which, combined, I ate more than 2500 calories over my TDEE :'( but the app says my weekly net calories for the week were 1230 but it also says I overate? What??

Essentially I'm not good with maths and don't know if my efforts to cancel out these 2 days of overeating over the course of one week have worked. Can someone interpret this information for me? I can't tell :(

I am in an ed clinic (Was inpatient - now I do outpatient 3 days a week) so I do not know my exact weight, although going by the way my clothes fit it's probably around 53-55kg, which is a BMI of around 19 or 20. I struggle to maintain a weight this high and it looks unnatural on my frame. I look normal at 17.

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    maybe post screen shots. I am confused by what your saying.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Do you know what net income and gross income is? This pertains to your paycheck. It's the same principle here. Gross is before things get deducted. Net is after things are deducted. In this case, Net calories are calories after fiber is deducted.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    amy_kee wrote: »
    In this case, Net calories are calories after fiber is deducted.

Nope, there's no deduction of calories for fiber.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Net calories are the calories minus activity calories earned. I'm concerned that you are trying to lose weight will still in ED program. Do they know about this?
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Particularly since you are still in recovery, you probably can't trust your idea of "normal." You really shouldn't be this concerned about one week during which you think you overate on two days. Does your team know you are tracking calories?
  • stephchadz
    stephchadz Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If you are in a clinic for an eating disorder I would not recommend using this website or any calorie tracking sites. As the poster above asked, is your team aware that you are tracking your calories? Tracking calories can be extremely triggering.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    "Net calories" is useless.
    Both my dietitian and doctor (endocrinologist specializing in weight issues) had never heard of it.
    They said to eat at my healthy calorie goal.

Exercise is for health.
    Weight control comes from food choices.

But to explain what "net calories" is...
    [total calories eaten] - [calories burned] = net

Sort of like how
    [actual income] - taxes = net income

If your body needs 1400 cal/day to maintain your current weight,
    and you're eating 1200, you're not going to stay healthy.
    If you've had 4 days of 1200 (4800 total), then 3 days of 3400 (10,200 total),
    you're averaging a bit over 2100 per day.
    A week of that isn't going to change your weight substantially. Stop worrying.
    A month or more probably will.

But I agree that you should be working with the plan your health care team has set up for you.

Part of your disease is that your perception of yourself is skewed, so saying "I look normal at a BMI
    of 17" is meaningless. Ignore that. Your idea of 'normal' has been seeing yourself at a dangerously
    low weight for what sounds like a long time.

Right now, if your BMI is what you think, you're within the healthy BMI range, but on the lower end.
    If it's important to you not to gain more, you're OK (as in, not dangerously underweight) for now.

It sounds like you're not in as good of control of the mental issues as you'll need to be to get
    discharged, let alone stay healthy. So go talk with your counselors about your concerns.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Doesn't your ed team create an eating plan using exchanges and highly monitor your intake? Mine did. Follow their plan not mfp
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    FWIW, a 22yo woman of average height (5' 5") who is inactive would need just over 1500 cal/day
    to maintain a healthy weight of 120lb, and her BMI would be 20, which is low in the healthy range.
    So if you really are getting only 1200 per day, you're likely undereating and not getting the nutrition
    your body needs to stay healthy.
    Talk with your counselors.