Losing vs. Maintenance/Recomposition? When to switch?

Options
Basically, my question is how to know when it's time to switch from eating for weight loss vs. eating for maintenance with body recomposition goals.

Background:

29F, 5'10", current weight 157 lbs. Seven months ago I set out with the very general goal of getting in shape. I picked up running and ran a half-marathon at the end of November, and now that it's very cold, I've been doing Insanity indoors. I've lost about 10lbs, and my measurements have definitely gotten smaller. Bust 37", Waist 31", Hips 42" -> Bust 35.5", Waist 28.5", Hips 40". I have a pretty solid build, so I really can't imagine losing more than another 10lbs at this point before it starts to get into unhealthy territory for me. Even then, I am more interested in reducing body fat % than I am with the number on the scale.

I've been shooting for about 1600 cal/day, but lately I feel like I am bottoming out on how much I can lose at this level. I feel like my exercise performance is suffering and my weight isn't going anywhere. Basically, how do I know if this is a plateau, or do I need to up the calories to maintenance level and think more about building muscle, rather than just losing weight? I have read some anecdotes about how people dropped more weight after adding calories to an intense exercise program, but it's so hard to get out of the "eat less!" mindset. Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Replies

• jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    You are at a very healthy weight for your height, I'd say you are past time to switch to maintaining.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I'll be curious to see if you get any good answers besides just the standard "lift heavy" answers I got when I posted a similar thread. Not every person is suited to, nor wants to lift heavy, or look like they lift heavy.
    There's a whole wide world of sports and workouts out there folks. Some of them might actually change your body shape without picking up a barbell???
  • el_em_jay
    el_em_jay Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Haha, I actually like lifting! I am not at the moment due to the fact that I have been living between two cities for a while and wanted a workout I could take with me anywhere. I'm enjoying Insanity so I plan on finishing it, but by then I should (finally) be permanently relocated and hope to join a gym again.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    At this point, I think you could switch to recomping, especially if you're not wanting to lose much more weight.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I'll be curious to see if you get any good answers besides just the standard "lift heavy" answers I got when I posted a similar thread. Not every person is suited to, nor wants to lift heavy, or look like they lift heavy.
    There's a whole wide world of sports and workouts out there folks. Some of them might actually change your body shape without picking up a barbell???

It's VERY difficult to "look like" you lift heavy. You will absolutely not get bigger or beefier than you want to look by accident. Weight training is fantastic and efficient exercise for anyone willing and able to do it, and athletes use weight training to improve performance. Exercise doesn't exist in a bubble.

OP, you are definitely at that time where you need to be looking at your long-term lifestyle. Run and hike when it's warm. Find things like Insanity to do inside when it's not (or do strength training). Find foods you like eating, and learn to eat intuitively when your body is hungry, with mostly nutritious food. You might lose some more, you might not. Either way, good luck!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sorry post cut out. See below. :) h
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    It looks like with your stats you would maintain, without exercise, at the 1825-1850 range.
    If you are at 1600 now you should be losing almost .5lbs a week without exercise.
    You don't say if you are eating back a portion of your exercise calories.
    (Oops, sorry it posted itself)
    If you aren't, it may be a good time to start eating back 50/75% as you are starting to lose energy.
    (MFP expects you to)

One thing you could do is work out what your maintenance will be 10 lbs lighter (at your goal) and eat that amount of calories.
    I get it as 1775-1800 sedentary, 2300 with a moderate activity level.

If you want to build muscle you will have to eat at a slightly higher calorie goal and lift heavy.
    But if you just want to increase the strength of the muscles you already have and resculpt your body, resistance work and eating at maintenance will help.

Even losing with a small deficit and doing resistance work will help with muscle retention, strength, and body composition.

Cheers, h.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 668 Member
    Options

It's VERY difficult to "look like" you lift heavy. You will absolutely not get bigger or beefier than you want to look by accident. Weight training is fantastic and efficient exercise for anyone willing and able to do it, and athletes use weight training to improve performance. Exercise doesn't exist in a bubble.

OP, you are definitely at that time where you need to be looking at your long-term lifestyle. Run and hike when it's warm. Find things like Insanity to do inside when it's not (or do strength training). Find foods you like eating, and learn to eat intuitively when your body is hungry, with mostly nutritious food. You might lose some more, you might not. Either way, good luck!

There absolutely is a different look to lifting heavy then say the long sleek muscles my neice has from 10 years of ballet. My point is aesthetically you get a different look, though both athletes have muscle.
    Also, people build muscle doing body weight training or adding Dumbbells to a workout without ever going near a barbell or lifting heavy.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to add much muscle if you don't lift heavy. I work with a trainer because I did dumbells, kettlebells and body weight training and still wasn't getting the muscle built up. Adding lifting did it.
  • StencilChild
    StencilChild Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You could always get some exercise bands that you can take with you while you travel. Not as effective as free weights, but still resistance training on the go!

As for the original question, up your calories, definitely. If your performance is suffering due to lack of nutrition, its time to switch gears and focus.
  • guslandrum
    guslandrum Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had the same type questions. Lost 60+ lbs 5'10, 168lbs, 54 yrs. Not sure I want to lose any more weight, but would like to drop about 2% BF. Currently estimate my BF at 14-15%. After reading for hours, often getting conflicting information, I've decided to continue eating at a deficit until I reach my goal BF % (mainly using picture comparisons to estimate BF). Then I will attempt a small bulk.
  • valskeete
    valskeete Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    el_em_jay wrote: »
    Basically, my question is how to know when it's time to switch from eating for weight loss vs. eating for maintenance with body recomposition goals.

Background:

29F, 5'10", current weight 157 lbs. Seven months ago I set out with the very general goal of getting in shape. I picked up running and ran a half-marathon at the end of November, and now that it's very cold, I've been doing Insanity indoors. I've lost about 10lbs, and my measurements have definitely gotten smaller. Bust 37", Waist 31", Hips 42" -> Bust 35.5", Waist 28.5", Hips 40". I have a pretty solid build, so I really can't imagine losing more than another 10lbs at this point before it starts to get into unhealthy territory for me. Even then, I am more interested in reducing body fat % than I am with the number on the scale.

I've been shooting for about 1600 cal/day, but lately I feel like I am bottoming out on how much I can lose at this level. I feel like my exercise performance is suffering and my weight isn't going anywhere. Basically, how do I know if this is a plateau, or do I need to up the calories to maintenance level and think more about building muscle, rather than just losing weight? I have read some anecdotes about how people dropped more weight after adding calories to an intense exercise program, but it's so hard to get out of the "eat less!" mindset. Thanks for any advice you can provide!
    I am the same way. It's hard to not be an avid weight loser (whether successful or not). I'm at a point where "trying" to lose more weight will leave me unhappy, dreading the gym and super irritable. It's always that stubborn last 5 or 10 lbs that just won't budge.
    I have a Fitbit and I burn about 2200/day. I eat 1800. I cannot bring myself to eat 2200 calories (it must be the "loser" in me). What seems to working for me is to go EXTREMELY hard in the gym. You'll have no problem building muscle doing so. If I feel like I'm not eating enough and I go over my intake consistently for 5 or more days- I raise my calories by the average over those 5 days and revisit it in about a month. I was eating about 1500 about a year ago. I'm 31F 140lbs 5'9" 34-27-40 so we're in similar boats.
    Congrats on the weightloss! Hope this helps.
  • valskeete
    valskeete Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Oh Ps. When I was plateauing I started incorporating Refeeds once a week. Google it. It did the trick for me. It's really fun :) and it was a nice break from my normal diet. < That, and I also started running a lot and went Keto.
    Good luck!