Low on potassium

Options
Name some foods? I know bananas for sure

Replies

• FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Apricots, beets, broccoli, cantaloupe, clams, lentils, beans, potatoes, sweet potatoes....and many more.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Do not go what MFP tells you in potassium.
    The database cannot produce this accurately.
    Look at a can of beans. They are loaded with potassium. Yet, you may not see potassium listed on the can.
    Therefore, there is no way people can input the information into the MFP database which is all done by people like you and me.
    So, you might be eating a lot of potassium, but it would not show up on your graphs.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If you are going by MFP to decide you are low on potassium it is important to note that Potassium is not required to be listed on labels and many of the foods in the database that do contain potassium do not have it listed.
    You are probably getting more than you think.
  • sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever reached my potassium goal and I used to worry about it and then someone posted that potassium in food does not have to be listed on nutrition labels so you are likely getting a lot more than what shows in your diary. That wasn't your question but maybe it helped?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Are you diagnosed as low in potassium? Or are you assuming this from your nutrition report? If the latter, you may be eating more potassium than you think. Potassium is not required by law to be listed on labels. Almost all natural foods are higher in potassium than sodium; it's the added salt that drives sodium up.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Meats, dairy, coffee & tea, tomatoes, potatoes, beans.....plus the other items already listed have good potassium. And as others have said, it's hard to find entries in the database that have potassium listed, so you're likely getting more than you think.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Oh good - I was worried about that myself.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    me....big on beets now, have a banana every morn before working out
  • leosmith66
    leosmith66 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you can't make it naturally, you can add a little Nu-Salt.
  • fjellrev
    fjellrev Posts: 5,078 Member
    Options
    Avocado!
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Bananas aren't even in the top 10 high potassium foods. #1 is leafy greens like spinach, Kale, or collards, then oranges, sweet potatoes, beets, white potatoes, white beans, apricots.