Frustrated! Anyone want to do the math for me?!

Hi. Soo frustrated. I've gained 3 pounds of scale weight since my trainer a month ago told me 1200 was too low for all my activity - despite my age, height, whatever. Didn't matter -at minimum she said I should be eating 1400 calories. Could she have been wrong? I've spent the last few days doing every equation on every website out there - Katch, Miller, Harris, weight X 10, just trying to get the right number of calories. I get different numbers and being short I don't have much wiggle room. I was a little under 131.2 now at 135. My stats are 5'3, 51, medium/curvy build, with a goal weight of 125-128. Other helpful info: I got to 123 and 126 twice on 1200 per day but maintaining that coincided with two moves which led to stressful eating so I'm not sure whether to blame the 1200 or my maintenance plan (or lack thereof). Also I work out now 6 days a week, mostly body weight training at least hour a day, sometimes, 2 hrs. BUT besides those exercise hours, the rest of the day is pretty sedentary, so I don't know whether to pick "sedentary", "lightly active" etc. My "test pants" do fit looser in the waist than they did before I hired the trainer, but firmer in the rear. But if I understand correctly, I didn't get any muscle, right? Or the 1400 for whatever reason is just too many calories for me?! Is 1200 really the "death knell"folks make it out to be? Maybe it is just where I need to be? Please help.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    How are you determining your calorie intake (food scale/measuring cups/eyeballing portions)?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    It looks like your diary is closed -- before I concluded that I had to eat 1,200 calories, I would want to double-check to make sure that I didn't have a logging issue (that is, that I wasn't eating more than I thought I was).
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,330 Member
    I measure - I have a food scale, measuring cup, spoon set. I may sure my spoons are always level, even if the recipe says "rounded" tsp. I opened my diary If I did it right!
  • rippedhippie
    rippedhippie Posts: 24 Member
    You will burn less calories weight training and build more muscle (which is learner but heavier then fat) so you should look thinner but weight more....staring at the scale is not the answer. For your height, age and current weight 1200 to 1400 calories is fine. What's most important is you breakdown of Fat, Carbs and Protein and your goal weight and how long you want to get there.

Rather you are weight training or doing cardio if your spending more the 45 minutes a work out your doing it wrong! Quality over quantity.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    No offense, but 5'3" is not really short. It is pretty close to the average to 5'5". Even at 51 with your stats your bmr will be around 1300, meaning with your added activity your daily burn is probably more that 1700 calories. With what you want to lose a big deficit would not be beneficial, so this will be a slow process, get that into your mind from the start.

The biggest question might not be your calorie goal, but how precisely you are logging. Hopefully you 1) Logging everything you eat and drink including fruits, veggies, and even small candies. 2) Weighing solids and using measuring spoons and cups for liquids. 3) Verifying as well as you can that the food database entries match up with the foods you are actually eating. Even using bar codes you can get incorrect numbers either because the wrong thing comes up or because there are regional differences.

If you are logging precisely, then there may be other issues, but first it is important to know whether you are logging precisely.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    edited February 2016
    <<< 53, 5'3 216, I would kill to be your weight...... I understand where you're coming from, but aside from divorce (I don't cook for myself) I don't see myself getting there anytime in the next year. Good Luck! PS: That picture is about 7 years ago and my doctor had me on Phetermine...and I don't recommend that.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Hi, I've had a look at your diary and ran your numbers through a couple of calculators. And I would say there are two things in play here, one more likely the cause than the other.

1) this is probably not the cause but it is worth the check up.
    You are at some stage of menopause, and although I firmly believe it is not a hinderance to weight loss in and of itself, medical problems that can arise from the hormone disruption, decrease in estrogen and increase in testosterone, leading to an increase in visceral fat, can be. Get a check up for thyroid and type II diabetes, at the very least, cholesterol and blood pressure too.

2) it is more than likely your logging. It happens to a lot of us, we either start with inaccurate entries and never revise them, or we become a little complacent over time.
    Revise your logging practices and what entries you are using from your personal 'recent' database.
    You may have to start searching for more accurate entries for some things.
    Use grams and ml for your measurements, they are a lot more accurate.
    And like @rileysowner said measure everything. If your scale isn't a tarring digital one, invest in one (Costco have one that does fluids too for less than $20).

If you are using spoons and cups for liquids make sure they are ml liquid spoons, not solid measuring spoons or eating spoons.

You should be able to lose on more than what you are eating now, your trainer is correct. Your food input is not supporting your activity level.

I lost 1 lbs a week on 1200 (+125-175exercise calories) at the age of 55, 130 lbs and 5'1. I say that not as an if I did you can, but more to let you know I understand where you are coming from.
    When petite with little to lose it is the logging that can make all the difference, barring untreated medical conditions.

Cheers, h.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    edited February 2016
    I would say don't stress about your slight gain. That 3# is your glycogen store. It is what makes up that "water weight" loss of 3# in one week that people who first start diets get all excited about and then sad that they don't see that rate of loss again. It will come off quickly, don't worry.

An alternate question, because logging isn't always the answer (don't get me wrong 90% of the time it is); how long have you been eating 1200 cals? When you get your blood pressure checked, do they comment its low?

The reason I ask is that I'm 5'3, 35, go to the gym 5x a week doing heavy lifting and cardio. I had been eating 1200 cals for nearly a year and wasn't losing weight. My BP was very low. I recently (3 weeks ago) upped my cals to 1600 and I gained 3#, but no more. I have just upped again to 2000 cals and for the last few days there is still no further gain. My BP has increased a bit.(essentially my body was slowing everything down in my body to reduce energy needs). I'm now experimenting to see how high I can go before I actually start to legitimately gain weight (I am prepared to see another 3-5# gain around TOM, any other increase shall be considered a gain.)

I am actually shocked to be eating 2000 cals. It's weird and I don't trust it...but I will go with it until scale evidence says stop.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    I'm 5'4, and was doing 1200 + half my exercise calories for a few months, and it worked well, but was warned by my doctor that once I was out of the 'obese' category, I needed to go up. I'm at 1330 now + plus half my exercise calories (so around 1500 a day) and seem be losing about a pound a week or so, give or take.

Interesting about the blood pressure! I'm technically pre-hypertensive, but over the past three weeks have started having more 'normal' range readings (I check twice a day). Curious now if that's due to metabolism changes rather than just fitness levels.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Hmm. Thank you for the replies. Haven't had my blood pressure or anything checked. And have been on 1200 for about three - four years except for those stressful periods which would last about a month. The stress I referred to were two moves based on elder care responsibilities which I'm still immersed in so no doc visit in like 5 years. Just couldn't concentrate on myself. I'm planning to go this year. I will double check the logging. What I think could be happening is my own logging (I'd be lying if I said I logged an altoid or three black olives), but also my dad tries to "thank me" for all I'm doing, will make a meal I'd make for myself, but I'm wondering if he's making it his way - a little bacon grease here and there, sugar, etc even tho I tell him not to. Sounds like you're all saying, unless there is a medical condition, 1400 calories sounds about right and 1200 is too low - I'm not that short. I'm wondering tho even if I am eating a bit more, the amount of exercise I do is sooo vigorous (separate from the mfp calculations, and I don't eat any back), that would offset it?
  • CeeBeeSlim
    In my research, I came across this. Thoughts? Hope I linked it correctly.

http://www.ontheregimen.com/2015/03/10/many-calories-woman-eat-fat-loss/
  • middlehaitch
    @mistraal1981. Sounds like you probably had a little thermal adaptation going on eating at such a low intake for so long. while exercising. (no expert) nice that you have an excellent calorie level now.

I hate how it is always posted that 1200 is only suitable for short, light, old, women, as I am in that category (5'1, 62, 100-105lbs maintaining), but more often than not it is true.

Even when losing 1lbs a week at 130lbs I had to eat back my exercise calories otherwise my daily energy levels would suffer.
    At the weight I am now, which is very light, I need more than 1400 to keep my energy levels equal to my needs.

I do wish more people would realise that eating back exercise calories is expected with the MFP model, especially when not doing so takes net calories under an acceptable level.

Cheers, h.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    I loved that article. I do think the mantra of he who eats more an loses wins is true to some extent, but it gets stated so often here that people are afraid not to eat more even when they don't need it or want it. 1200 to1500 a day depending on how hard I work is more than enough for my energy levels to stay up. It also helps with that whole inaccurate logging thing. A tiny deficit would drive me mad.
  • middlehaitch
    edited February 2016
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    In my research, I came across this. Thoughts? Hope I linked it correctly.

http://www.ontheregimen.com/2015/03/10/many-calories-woman-eat-fat-loss/

Nothing wrong with the article.

Calculating your maintenance it is 1450 sedentary. So 1200 would have you losing .5lbs a week.

What the link doesn't address well is your exercise burn and I honestly think that is could be misleading unless you work from your TDEE instead of MFP's NEAT.

I have my calorie burn estimated at 175-200 per hour (derived from MFP data) so I think yours would be no less than that. I ate 125-175 back when losing.

Maybe try eating your TDEE instead of your NEAT as per MFP once you have your logging tightened up. So long as your exercise is consistent, it will help with your accuracy, I think.

It sounds as though you are familiar with most of the calculator sites, so I will only post this one below. I find it quite accurate, and it is the easiest one to use when wanting to run through a number of different scenarios.

Cheers, h.

ETA: https://healthyeater.com/flexible-dieting-calculator
  • lauraebenavides
    lauraebenavides Posts: 14 Member
    I wouldn't workout for longer than an hour. If you are workingout for over an hour, that's too much. I am 5'2", 35 and weight 120. I am maintaining and MFP has me at 1490 calories/day and I workout 4 to 5 times a week for about an hour. I also have an office job, so I have it set at sedentary. Do you eat more on the days you workout? Have you tried working out less maybe?
  • lauraebenavides
    OK just took a look at your dairy and you are not eating enough and are exercising too much. Try to meet your calorie intake, workout about 1 hour a day, no more than 5 days a week as your body needs recovery time and drink lots of water. Hope that helps.
  • alphastarz
    alphastarz Posts: 55 Member
    I'm in a completely different place but I've noticed two things that may help you. 1. Sometimes the scale alone isn't the best way to see changes. Pictures of your body and face to compare can be really helpful in noting changes that the scale would never pick up on, hydration/nutrition/vitality or glow as well as fat/muscle. Same with the tape measure or calipers, if your body composition is changing then the scale can be misleading and adding other measurements might help you figure out what is going on with YOUR body that no internet calculator can generically tell you. Essentially, I wouldn't over focus on three pounds or decreasing calories without further evidence that you gained FAT rather than waterweight and or muscle this past month.
  • middlehaitch
    There is no reason to limit exercise to 1 hr a day. As long as you are eating to fuel it, the length of time can be your choice. That is why MFP expects calories from exercise to be eaten back.

A rest day a week can be helpful, but it can be just a lower intensity day, walking or yoga instead of running or lifting.

Unless you are over tired, when eating to your activity level, 2 days rest is a personal choice.

@lauraebenavides
    If you are only eating 1490 calories and not any of your exercise calories, you are not eating enough. MFP is set up so you eat back exercise calories.

Cheers, h.
  • lauraebenavides
    Well you are wondering why you have not been loosing weight lately and I believe the reason why is that you are not consuming enough calories, and on top of that, you are workingout too much for the amount of calories you are eating. Some days you are not even getting the minimum which is 1200/day. You are right, you can workout every day of the week if you want, but there is such a thing as overdoing it. You don't have to take my advice at all and wish you the best of luck :) . I lost 100 lbs and I know what works for me, hope you figure out what works for you too :) .
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Well you are wondering why you have not been loosing weight lately and I believe the reason why is that you are not consuming enough calories, and on top of that, you are workingout too much for the amount of calories you are eating.

Nope! That's not right. CICO is math (based on thermodynamics)--eating more does not help someone lose weight. However, you do need to make sure you are taking in adequate nutrition for the exercise you doing.

At 135 and 5'3 you are at a BMI of 23.9--normal range begins at 23. What do you have your weight loss goal set at? With 8-10 pounds to lose, if it's more than.5 lbs/week, it could be too aggressive. The basic guideline is .5 pounds per week for every 25 pounds to lose. Those last few pounds come off slowly, you really need to be patient and meticulous (weighing all solids, measuring all liquids). Most people overestimate their calorie burns and underestimate their caloric intake.

Weight loss isn't linear, it's not realistic to expect the scale to go down every time you step on it. Most people can have fluctuations based on water, food and exercise up to 5 pounds a day. Try and app like Happy Scale that predicts your weight based on trends. Set some other goals--like running times and one rep max. Take measurements. The scale isn't the be-all end-all we sometimes think it is.

And unless your trainer has an additional degree in nutrition (some do), please double check the info. Being a trainer makes a person knowledgeable about exercise physiology, but doesn't mean they have any knowledge about nutrition.

I like Scooby for measuring calorie burn. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calories-burned/[/url}

Keep working out and making sure you're getting enough nutrients to support your activity level. It'll happen, just be patient. These last pounds are the hardest to lose!