Not losing weight- all protein diet

Options
Hi all,

Can someone pretty please help me! Ok so I have been on a "protein only diet" for 4 days now and have not lost any weight.

Here's what I have been eating.

Breakfast; 2 eggs, 2 slices of turkey breast

Snack; protein shake (by Zealande)

Lunch; 2 small Angus sausages

Snack; 2 eggs, 80grms of cashews, 4 slices of turkey

Walked for 1hour and 30 minutes

Dinner; 2 small pieces of surimi, 12 chilli prawns.

Replies

• Splitbygreg
    Splitbygreg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    U aren't burning enough calories then. Either eat smaller portions of the above mentioned items or workout more to burn more calories.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    First it has only been 4 days give it time. Second how many calories does this equate too? Weight loss is about calories in vs. Calories out not about eliminating certain things all together.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The fact that you're doing "all protein" isn't a guarantee of weight loss if you're eating too much. It doesn't seem to me like you're weighing all your food. "2 slices of turkey breast", "2 small sausages" could mean anything. Do you use a food scale for everything?

Do you eat back the calories earned from exercise, and, if so, how are you measuring your burns? The MFP database is OVERLY generous, so if they told you that you earned X calories, and you're eating all of those calories, that could be a problem.

This helpful chart is courtesy of @lemonlionheart :

vdt6p81sq547.jpg

ETA: I just reread your post, and saw that you've only been at it for 4 days. Jeez Louise. Give it time!!!!
  • rah013
    rah013 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    P.s some of my snacks have been replaced by Atkins protein bars and carb- less mint choc bars
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's only been 4 days..
  • JayDam1
    JayDam1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would say the first problem is an all protein diet. You need all three macros in your diet. Then you just ensure the caloric total of all three macros combined is less than your body needs to maintain your weight, and you will lose weight.

Not to be too graphic, but part of not losing weight with an all protein diet can come from the lack of fiber to vacate your bowels.
  • _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    U aren't burning enough calories then. Either eat smaller portions of the above mentioned items or workout more to burn more calories.

+1

doesn't matter if you eat oreos or apples, you have to eat less than you burn for the scale to move
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I love meat but I don't think I could eat only that. You need a variety of nutrients from a variety of foods. Honestly though, nutrients aside how many calories is this adding up to daily? Do you weigh the turkey? Also, 4 days is nothing. You may also be holding onto sodium if you're not drinking enough water to balace out.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Are you bunged up?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Setting aside reservations about the "all protein" diet. It's been 4 days. You can't judge any of anything until at least 6 weeks.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You're not having an all protein diet. You're having protein and fat, and carbs (yes, the atkins bars have carbs, probably even the shake).
    That said: how many calories are you eating? And how tall are you, how much do you weigh, what does MFP tell you to eat?
    And, yes, give it time. Four days is nothing.

And, finally, I'd aim for something a bit more sustainable, but that's just me.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    JayDam1 wrote: »
    I would say the first problem is an all protein diet. You need all three macros in your diet. Then you just ensure the caloric total of all three macros combined is less than your body needs to maintain your weight, and you will lose weight.

Not to be too graphic, but part of not losing weight with an all protein diet can come from the lack of fiber to vacate your bowels.

+1
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You're not having an all protein diet. You're having protein and fat, and carbs (yes, the atkins bars have carbs, probably even the shake).
    That said: how many calories are you eating? And how tall are you, how much do you weigh, what does MFP tell you to eat?

^^^this
  • jasmineruth
    jasmineruth Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Are you bunged up?
    Just about to say this. With very little fibre in your diet how much poo is in your colon right now?
    Are you following some kind of plan that ensures proper nutrition? This sounds like quite a strange eating plan. Although even with the strangest of eating plans you should lose weight if you are keeping below your TDEE. Weight loss however, is not linear and weight fluctuates. You may not see a difference right away even if you are indeed eating below maintanence.

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

+2 Nuts have carbs, fat and protein, even skim milk has carbs and even the leanest cuts of meat have some fat. To lose weight, you need to eat less calories than you burn, no matter how much protein, fat or carbs in the food it is the calories that matter for weight loss.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    1) you shouldn't try to eat nothing but protein. It's unsafe and unsustainable. Your body needs fats for all sorts of things from brain health to hormone production to joint health to skin and hair health and much more.

2) this isn't an all protein diet anyway. The eggs, sausages and nuts all have plenty of fats. The nuts also have carbs.

3) if you're not losing weight, it's because you're consuming more calories than you're burning. You're either eating more than you think or burning less than you think.

4) it takes more than just a few days to lose weight.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Is this a new internet diet plan that promises rapid fat loss?
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    It's only been 4 days, give it time. Are you calculating calories?
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    One word: scurvy
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    One word: scurvy

So, there is a protein based solution to scurvy: rats. The sailors that at the rats never developed scurvy.