Anyone dieting and suffering from R.A ?

Options
Hi all, I'm back to dieting again, want to lose the 6lb I gained over Xmas. I suffer with Rhuematoid arthritis so turn to food when I'm in pain, anyone else suffering? Please feel free to add me. Looking at changing my diet as certain foods can affect R.A so would love to hear from people have have changed their diet and seen an improvement to their symptoms. Michelle

Replies

• hugrabug
    hugrabug Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and dealing with chronic pain and fatigue has made losing weight difficult. I turn to junk food when my body hurts, so altering that behavior thus far has been the hardest to work past.

I'm wanting to change my diet gradually and this article has been really helpful.
  • michellenella7
    michellenella7 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi hugrabug, I understand where your coming from living with pain and fatigue is awful, for me personally I'm taking baby steps at the moment, eating healthily again as of today and so far I feel it's taken the thought off my pain a little and made me concentrate on something else, I need to get motivated to be more active but that can come in time. Thank you so much article you sent me, some fab ideas I will be giving a go. Please feel free to message me if you ever need to chat. Michelle x
  • texasstacey3
    texasstacey3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hey ya'all
    Yep I have RA and Fibro.
    On Orencia infusions.
    Glad to find a few more that can understand why I am not out running, biking yogaing it up to lose the weight quicker. Or why I will spike up a few pounds in a flare thatnks to a week or two of prednisone during a crappy flare.

• michellenella7
    michellenella7 Posts: 19 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hiya, it's real tough sometimes, I did a small work out earlier and I just know I'm going to pay for it big time tomorrow, they say you must exercise!..... but It hurts too bad so that puts me off! ..... So Eating healthy it is then feel free to add me as a friend. Michelle X
  • julie2038
    julie2038 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight in June 2015. I was 240 pounds and having a lot of pain. I stuck with diet and exercise, but the pain especially in my hands have not stopped. Motrin no longer worked. I was referred to a rheumatologist and diagnosed at the end of January with rheumatoid arthritis. I have been on prednisone and I'm now on week two of methotrexate. I have worked hard to lose 63 pounds and refuse to let meds and a new diagnosis ruin this!! I expressed my concern to the doctor, who wants me to still lose 25 more pounds, his brilliant doctor advice was " don't eat the food, you won't gain the weight!" Lol. I have a Aunt who is pretty disabled from rheumatoid. I know what potential might happen to me. The lower my weight is the better. So I continue to pray and lift this challenge up to my Lord and do my part, by exercising within my limits and eating in my calories. We can do this!
  • Becky1244
    Becky1244 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with RA last summer. I'm in the early stages, mostly pain in my hands and overall soreness and fatigue. Very little swelling, and I haven't need prednisone. I'm on plaquenil and methotrexate, as well as taking celebrex daily. I want to lose weight and get stronger because I know it makes my long term outlook better.

I know some people try a gluten free diet to help with autoimmune issues, but for me, I had already been gluten free due to celiac disease for 5 years when I was diagnosed with RA.

I agree that it is so hard not to turn to junk food when feeling low. One day at a time.
  • jenger123
    jenger123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have RA, anklosing spondylitis and neuropathy. Totally stinks!
  • AliceA2013
    AliceA2013 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I set out to lose about 6lbs a month ago and so I see myself as a "maintainer".
    The one day in the week when I consistently break my resolve to eat healthily is the day after my weekly methotrexate medication for rheumatoid arthritis. The mild nausea is enough to mar my appetite and put me off exercise. So it's my official rest day and I don't beat myself over breaking the pattern of my good resolve the rest of the week.

The scales are merrily telling me I am half way through to my target weight. With short sessions of strength training to allow for fatigue, I am beginning to see some definition and an increased feeling of strength!

Good luck in your own journeys!
  • imasheila50
    imasheila50 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also have Anklosing Spondylitis it does suck trying to lose 65 pounds
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I have had RA for more than 10 years. 5 years ago I started on my journey to lose weight and to get more in shape. I found that weight lifting was truly a life saver.it has decreased the amount of pain I was having but the pressure points that were always the sorest and most painful are not. I know though when I slack off for awhile then the pain becomes worse. I have yet to need meds due to lifting. hubby can now rub my shoulders without me complaining it hurts. my mobility is better too.I didnt lose all the weight I set out to but still not having severe issues.