Invisalign Wearers: Help

Options
Any tips from Invisalign wearers about how to deal with much needed snacks? I end up having lunch around 1 pm, and then I work until at least 6 pm. Then by the time I either go home or go out to dinner I'm starving. Normally I'd just eat something healthy like yogurt or a piece of fruit, but getting the damn aligners out, eating fast, brushing teeth, putting them back in, etc. seems like such a hassle. Did you just skip snacks? Any other tips for me? THANK YOU in advance!

Replies

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    @Persian99 it takes a lot of getting used to. When I first got my aligners in I lost 10 pounds without even trying and before I even started to weigh/measure/log my food. You really just have to learn to skip the snacks and have your calories in those 2 or 3 meals a day (I eat only twice a day) because dealing with the aligners and having to constantly brush and floss your teeth all the time is just too time-consuming, and costly (the price of toothpaste, etc.). Just fill up on water...if your anything like me, the aligners leave a constant dry mouth and I drink water all day.

I'm supposed to get mine out in July, and I've had them for about a year now.
  • Persian99
    Persian99 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    @Persian99 it takes a lot of getting used to. When I first got my aligners in I lost 10 pounds without even trying and before I even started to weigh/measure/log my food. You really just have to learn to skip the snacks and have your calories in those 2 or 3 meals a day (I eat only twice a day) because dealing with the aligners and having to constantly brush and floss your teeth all the time is just too time-consuming, and costly (the price of toothpaste, etc.). Just fill up on water...if your anything like me, the aligners leave a constant dry mouth and I drink water all day.

I'm supposed to get mine out in July, and I've had them for about a year now.

Thank you for responding Tracy! I feel like I shoveled down a big breakfast today, but considering I won't be getting more calories until probably dinner, I guess that's the way it's going to have to be.
  • Blondie_130
    Blondie_130 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just deal with brushing and flossing. I eat 3 meals plus snack in between lunch and dinner, and after a couple weeks it just became a mindless habit to brush and floss again, it just became routine. It was tougher to not be able to sip coffee or tea whenever i want! I also keep a travel size listerine around for eating out, I just swish really well and rinse aligner under water, and clean extra well that night.
  • DoraGirl79
    DoraGirl79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also just brush and floss. I carry a toothbrush, paste, etc in my purse and once you get used to the habit, its no big deal. I've been wearing them about 21 hours a day for 5 months now, and am having great success. For me, its easier to deal with brushing my teeth vs. changing how I eat, since I struggle with how I eat anyway.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    My kids have retainers (I know not quite the same thing but same idea) but if we're out and we end up eating somewhere, I'll have them go in the bathroom with a cup and rinse their mouths with water and then they brush when they get home. You could always do that if you're in a position where you're hungry for something quick but don't have much time.
  • Persian99
    Persian99 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the feedback. I'm adjusting. I'm thinking of getting the appliance to speed up the treatment so I'll be done in half the time.