I love wine too much

Options
So at the end of the day I've eaten just under my calorie goal, I've done my exercises but I love my wine so now I'm almost over my calories.....and......oh boy........
How can I find a "middle of the road" , "have my cake and eat it too", " I want both".......ahhhhh......
Anyone have the same problem and what did you do???

Replies

• mkateweis
    mkateweis Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I LOVE WINE...I plan ahead and log it at the beginning of the day. Then I know what I have to work with and if I need to add another workout!
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You can't have it both ways. You either exercise more, and enjoy your wine, or you don't exercise, and enjoy your wine, but you'll stay the same size.

Btw, I did have a steak with wine today so you CAN do it! Planning really helps (like if you know that you'll want wine, just make sure you get a good workout in earlier).
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I prelog too.

Are you drinking every day though? Cut back to once every 2 days to start with?
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My problem too. I love wine and dark chocolate. So I'm giving up one or the other each day. But that means at the end of a day, if I've kept my calories down, I get the reward of one or the other. So I use it as my reward to keep me motivated.
  • anitanz
    anitanz Posts: 72
    Options
    I love wine too!!! But I had to stop drinking so much of it because it was really making me gain weight!
    I used to head straight for the bottle as soon as I walked in the door, and It sounds silly but I started by swapping the vino for glass of sparkling water with a slice of lemon. Now I'm out of the habbit of drinking by myself during the week and I just try to save calories up during the day (or pre-log) for nights when I'm going out with friends and want to indulge a little.
    Good luck!
  • lisa_lotte
    lisa_lotte Posts: 216
    Options
    Mee too, LOVE wine
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    As long as you've set your mfp to lose and not maintiain, then it's ok if you're meeting your calories as long as you aren't going over. It's already calculating a 500-600 calorie deficit (for 1 lb/week). Just make sure your activity level is right and have a glass. I love red wine! Although I have cut down a bit, a 100 claorie glass isn't going to ruin your day :D
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm in the same boat. Love the wine! It does make me put on weight which is why I am currently 25 lbs overweight. I can prelog the ONE glass, but one glass always leads to 2 or 3 more.....Which is why, I have to completely stay away from it, so that I can lose the weight. My eating habits have not contributed to my weight gain.....for sure! My wine habit - definitely. I've come to realize that, and that's a good start.
  • rubytues81
    Options
    Ah me too! There's nothing quite like a glass of wine after a long day at work!

Like some of the others, I now use it as a reward if I've been for a run, or I'll have a glass instead of dessert. It's the keeping it to 1 glass only that's the hard part!
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Me too! *sigh* I now try to stick to the odd glass at the weekends rather than every night, and I measure a small 125ml glass or a medium 175ml glass out. My previous glasses were at least 250ml each! If you swap large wine glasses for the small french balloon-style glasses it tricks the brain into thinking you are drinking a larger amount.

I sometimes drink watered down cranberry or pommegranate juice in a wine glass with my dinner, and convince myself that it's wine!
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I do the saaaame thing! Usually I make sure I get a good workout in and really watch my pouring- on the days I do go over I just try not beat myself up over it...I dont drink everynight but when I do I rarely just have one glass- usually 2. I don't eat dessert anymore though- I treat my wine as my dessert. There's just something about having a glass of wine with my dinner after a long day of working and working out!:drinker:
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    This doesn't always keep me in check, but I try to control my intake by using a measuring cup to make sure that I am controlling my serving size of wine & make sure to log it. I also switched from white to red because I tend to sip red slower than white. A small glass of red lasts longer for me than a glass of white.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am also a wine lover. Saturday night was especially rough for me, as I drank waaaay too much. I try to account for the calories that I drink but sometimes (usually weekends) I go over. I have continued to drink wine since I have been on MFP and am still losing, albeit probably slower than those that don't drink at all. For me it wouldn't be sustainable to cut wine out completely, so I have to find a way to incorporate it into my diet!
  • Redjack111
    Redjack111 Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas. Prelog, extra excercise, use as a reward, measure and use a smaller glass. I'm going to try them all!
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too! Nothing like coming in from a long hard day and pouring a nice glass of chilled sauvignon! However, rarely I will stick to one glass!

I'm determined to lose some weight now so I'm going to keep wine for weekends only and make allowances in the week for the extra calories. I'll see if this works, I'm fed up of my wine 'gut' haha.