Women related questions..

Options
I get SO fatigued 1-3 days before. So much that my workout suffers. Should I lighten it by a 30 minutes?

And do you ladies stay restricted on calories during the whole time?

Replies

• yamahdi41
    yamahdi41 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    30 mins is good as well..personally I dont count my calories I just eat in small portions but now im starting to count my calorie intake that way its better to know how much exactly I eat through out the day..hope I helped :) goodluck girly
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If you're tired and don't want to work out then don't. When I was losing weight, I ate at my calorie goal during my period. Exercise wasn't a problem. I rarely have fetal position-inducing cramps thanks to BCP. Just do what works for you and makes you feel better. It's okay and you're not being naughty or weak for cutting back on exercise and/or eating a little more.
  • falconeer37
    falconeer37 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The first two days of my period I always take off from exercise/semi take off from diet due to debilitating cramps and significant menorrhagia. I'm better off resting and letting my body relax... I try to eat fairly healthy like I usually do but if I'm craving chocolate or whatever I always give myself the freedom to indulge those two days. I used to feel guilty about it until I realized that I felt better, recovered faster and it didn't affect my weight loss as long as I didn't overdo it with diet which I find I rarely ever do. The point is find out what works for you and your body and go with it! Trust what your body is telling you that you need
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if you feel like you do, then do.

personally, i do not.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I don't get particularly tired but I do find that I have about a week a month when I'm totally ravenous and could eat a horse! For that week I just try and up my exercise so I can eat 100/200 calories more whilst remaining at a decent defecit. Perhaps you could do the opposite and simply eat a bit less for those few days so that if you exercise less it doesn't matter too much. Good luck!
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I can't say as i really notice a difference.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

No, me neither!

Me, I just exercise and eat as normal. If I get period pains on my heavy day, I take a couple of Ponstan and I'm fine.

Do what you feel is best. Some people find exercising more helps them have enough calories to cope with their being hungrier.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I find cardio helps deal with the pain, so I force myself out for my run and feel much better afterwards. Then I use the calories for chocolate and red wine
  • tottie_07
    tottie_07 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The first day starting is always the worst for me with exhaustion and pain. I allow myself rest on that day. And for the most part I don't restrict calories during the week prior...... I am always starving the week before. Then my hunger seems to go away during the week of.
  • kf1834
    kf1834 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's just a few days a month - do what you gotta do! You know you'll be back on track in a few days, take care of yourself when you need to.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,040 Member
    Options
    Yes, I stay on restricted calories the whole time ... fewer calories than I burn. I also continue to exercise. As it happens, exercise triggers mine to start, so there I'll be in the middle of a 100 km bicycle ride, and ...

If I'm extra tired, I plan a nap or two. :)
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Today, I am curled up with hot pad and a bottle of Pamprin. Anyone who wants to call me a wuss is welcome to! ;) I am also seriously craving chocolate, and if i can hit my protein numbers without going over on my fats and carbs, I fully intend to have a big cup of hot chocolate later. By the way, this is NOT how I wanted to spend Valentines weekend. :disappointed:

In short, yeah, take it a little easier on yourself. Part of this whole process is learning to live in our bodies and understand their needs. If your body is tired, it might need a little extra rest. (Also, make sure that you're getting enough iron and protein dense foods!)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

No, me neither!

Me, I just exercise and eat as normal. If I get period pains on my heavy day, I take a couple of Ponstan and I'm fine.

Do what you feel is best. Some people find exercising more helps them have enough calories to cope with their being hungrier.

I never used to notice a difference. And to be completely honest, before I probably would have scoffed at a thread like this. I did experience pain, but it was never enough to stop me.
    After having a baby though, things changed. I experienced exhaustion like I could have never imagined. It has gotten better but it is still worse than pre-baby. I do have to cut back a bit because of it.

I don't change calories though. I wasn't watching calories before when it was worst.
  • dorener
    dorener Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    On this same subject,
    Anyone show a difference on the scale when they have it? I ask because I have a leg injury and haven't been able to work out for a week but have been very good with my calorie restrictions, but I have mine now and when I hopped on the scale I was 3 lbs up. I'm freaking out!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    dorener wrote: »
    On this same subject,
    Anyone show a difference on the scale when they have it? I ask because I have a leg injury and haven't been able to work out for a week but have been very good with my calorie restrictions, but I have mine now and when I hopped on the scale I was 3 lbs up. I'm freaking out!!

Yes. It is completely normal to increase in weight at certain times in your cycle.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    dorener wrote: »
    On this same subject,

Yes. It is completely normal to increase in weight at certain times in your cycle.

+1
  • hamstertango
    hamstertango Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Have you considered that you might be feeling so tired at that time of the month due to some sort of iron or vitamin deficiency? Might be worth checking out with a doctor?
    I take iron and berocca daily (but I am a vegetarian) don't know if I'm just lucky or that helps and I feel no different during that time of month than any other day...
  • PhreePanda
    PhreePanda Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

No, me neither!

I never used to notice a difference. And to be completely honest, before I probably would have scoffed at a thread like this. I did experience pain, but it was never enough to stop me.
    After having a baby though, things changed. I experienced exhaustion like I could have never imagined. It has gotten better but it is still worse than pre-baby. I do have to cut back a bit because of it.

I don't change calories though. I wasn't watching calories before when it was worst.

I did have a loss at 5 months and another loss the month right after. I suppose it makes since my body is still recovering from the whole nightmare. As I had every complication the body could throw at a woman. I was really exhausted for months.

I took a few days off completely and feel better after today's workout. Tomorrow I'll be back at full throttle. You reminded me in still healing!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    some days are better than others. sometimes i can't do anything and other days, it doesn't affect me at all. do what you can and don't worry about it :smile:
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Some months are worse than others. Normally, I can go about my business as normal, and other times I cannot. I found that this month I was ravenous about 2 weeks prior to my period, which is not normal for me. Normally, that happens during not before. When this happens, I eat 100-200 calories more and just don't expect to lose that week. Someone on the board said that she sets her calories at maintenance during her period and I thought that was a brilliant idea, and I think I will do that next time I find myself ravenous during my period.

I found this month I only had medium cramps that went away after about 30-60 minutes. A few months ago, my cramps woke me up at 5am and I just laid there and suffered until it was time to get ready for work.

I do find that working out does help, so I try to work out like normal.