snacking healthy - with allergies

Options
I'm a snacker! But I plan for it.
snack mid morning & mid afternoon & evening (i work a long day)
if i don't pack a sensible snack, i end up at the vending machine at the office which is NOT where i wanna be...
Recently, i've been developing multiple food allergies (took me & doc awhile to figure them out too).

Currently I'm NOT having any of the following:
- Dairy, none whatsoever
- Fruits, none, inlcuding juices and things with fruit flavorings
- some veggies (sweet ones like sweet potato)
- nuts, seeds, grains
- most breads (i can only eat plan white bread)

As if dieting wasn't hard enough, right?

After all that backstory, here's my question... any suggestions for snacking options???
I'm hitting the point if i see another baby carrot or celery stick i'm gonna use it to poke my own eyes out.

Help..................
Michelle

Replies

• KeshiaV
    KeshiaV Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of hummus as a snack. It can be filling and might add a different taste to your carrots :)

Are you allowed soy products? If so, check out the soy/ dairy-free versions for yogurt and snack cheeses.

Best of luck!
  • AnneMK5
    AnneMK5 Posts: 110
    Options
    How about raw broccoli and cauliflower?

No fruit at all?.... of any kind?? oh that sucks... I am so sorry.
  • ka_bateman
    ka_bateman Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I always make room for baked chips and salsa in my calorie budget! Can you stomach either? Good luck!
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    hard boiled eggs
    saltine crackers
    sugar snap peas
    tuna salad
    three bean salad
    dill pickle (just threw that in there cos I like them):smile:
  • dominionite
    dominionite Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! I'm so glad i found MFP :)
    i slightly miss my dairy, but fruit, oh fruit, where art thou :(

the only dairy i ever ate was some cream in my coffee (sub: non dairy creamer powder), milk on my cereal (sub: soy milk) and a yoghurt now and then (sub: soy pudding)

But how do i substitute that first bite of an apple? or a bunch of grapes
    (btw frozen grapes are a great summer snack!!!)
  • Wimpey
    Wimpey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    is rice off the menu?

Rice milk
    Rice pops/crispies (cereal?)
    Rice crackers?

What about beans and pulses etc?
    Fresh varieties of green beans raw?

I prepare a olive oil/garlic/parsley or basil dip, and mix it with almost anything that can be snacked (depending on calories required you can omit oil)
    This dip can last a few day so, as sound very organized, it is less prep time?

Eggs? any good? they can be incorporated in your snacks of veg to add some flavour/body to it?

I also found that raw or cooked meat/fish with lemon juice (kept refrigerated at work) on a rice cracker is a good snack (if raw you must do an impression of Hannibal The Cannibal to your colleague to confirm their suspection you are totally barmy!)

Canned fish?

Best of luck!
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I don't have any help but I just have to say, I hope your allergies improve and also that's very impressive that despite all those foods you're not allowed that you are still working hard to eat healthy. Because you are missing out on dairy, fruit and veg make sure to take supplements if needs be for vitamins and calcium.
  • dominionite
    dominionite Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    (1) I love the Hanibal Lecter idea :)
    (2) i am taking supplements...

thanks for the encouragement!