Trying to go vegan/vegetarian for awhile...(recipes/ideas?)

Options
I decided I wanted to stop eating meat for awhile.(giving up meat for some time) This isn't strictly for dietary reasons, but also for a healthier lifestyle. Yes, you can eat meat and be fit and lose plenty of weight, but I just want to add more veggies, and eat them instead. (If I don't eat only veggies, I may incorporate seafood, but not an abundance) What are some of your favorite vegan/vegetarian foods? This can be prepackaged or home cooked meals. I don't mind eating carbs, but I don't want to eat them with every meal/eat them in abundance. Preferably, high protein. Thank you!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Going vegan will be virtually impossible if you don't want to have carbohydrates at every meal. The only carbohydrate-free foods are things like meat. Because carbohydrates are found in vegetables, beans, grains, and fruits (the staples of the vegan diet), going vegan means consuming at least some at every meal.

If you mean you would like to have some meals be lighter in carbohydrates, I suggest focusing your meals on things like tofu, seitan, and vegetables like greens. Seitan, in particular, is a higher protein food that is lower in carbohydrates.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    When I started eating more veggies, this website was a HUGE help in making more veggie recipes. I based some of my favorites off of them.
    http://aveggieventuresrecipebox.blogspot.com/2005/03/alphabet-of-vegetables_6295.html

One super easy veggie dish that's a favorite of mine, though, and high in protein, is this:

Taco Soup
    Pour into a pot 1 can pinto beans, 1 can garbanzo beans, 1 can kidney beans, 1 can black beans, 1 can white/cannelini beans (the 15-16 oz size)
    2 cans corn
    1-2 can of tomato soup - the little campbell soup can size, more like 10-12 oz
    1-2 can stewed, chopped tomatoes
    1-2 packets taco seasoning (we used to pick spicy taco seasoning)
    1 onion, chopped and fried until soft (optional)

Do not drain any cans, as the can liquid will be making up the liquid for the soup. Just heat up the soup until the smell is lovely, and it's ready to eat. This was a favorite because it's super easy, super quick, pretty health, and makes a Big pot of food, too.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores

There should be some threads in the herbivores group for ideas.
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try pescetarian first, since you don't mind eating fish. Like @janejellyroll said, its super hard to eat vegetarian while cutting carbs as well. There are some vegetarian recipes on skinnytaste.com as well as vegetariantimes.com