physically limited looking for support

Options
Ok, I know I have an uphill battle on my hands. I have a knee injury, since last July and all the crutch usage is causing my shoulders to separate. So I am really limited in the kind of exercise that I can do. My doctor originally turned me onto MFP. I have to take a lot of medications for a variety of reasons and he looked at me one day and suggested that I check out MFP. So I did. I was active for a while and then I don't know what happened. but I stopped coming here and now I'm working with a nutritionist and she said I need to log all my food and I'm back. But I don't want to just log my food. It's been so long since I've been active. Hell, I used to teach Taekwondo for 15 years - now look at me. I have a genetic disorder of the connective tissues known as Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (makes me double jointed) and it comes with it's own set of issues. I just need a little encouragement and support. I'm trying to figure it all out. Do I chart the seated chair exercise video that I did under strength training or under cardio? Good carbs vs. bad carbs. I'm almost afraid to eat. I need some help.

Replies

• 3p0l0v3sU
    3p0l0v3sU Posts: 34 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    1. I guess your workout video is cardio. it's hard to say without seeing it.
    2. I've never found the whole "good carbs and bad carbs" thing very useful. If using that system only confuses you, don't bother with it and make up your own. (I personally just say a carb is a carb and not worry about what kind of carbs I eat as long as I don't eat too much and still get my required fiber) If you want to know more about good carbs and bad carbs, do some reading on the glycemic index.
    3. calm down, good luck, have fun , and lets be friends. I'd be glad to help.
  • MarziDeThrall
    MarziDeThrall Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about posting something similar to this. Due to a car accident several years ago, I have post traumatic arthritis in my ankle to the point where my joint is almost fused. In addition to that, I have sciatica and since I've gained all this weight, my knees are giving me fits. Obviously getting rid of these extra pounds will make me more mobile. I have been trying to figure out how to exercise when I can't even walk without limping. It never crossed my mind to look for seated exercise videos. I'll have to check that out. Add me as a friend if you like and good luck. :)
  • melissa_ghikas
    melissa_ghikas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS) - Hypermobility type (HEDS), formerly called type III.
    It seems like as soon as I begin to feel normal after recovering from a dislocation or series of joint subluxations, I have another injury or a flare-up of one of the organ-related disorders that come with connective tissue disorders.

What is going well for me is seeing a chiropractor - usually a no-no for folks with EDS, but I searched for one who understands the condition and keeps me aligned in the back and joints without hurting me. Staying aligned and using "functional" bracing, supports without immobilizing, has made a huge difference. And a few weeks ago, I found a Manual Physical Therapist to guide me through the EDS-specific exercises in the book "Living Life to the Fullest with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome" by Kevin Muldowney, PT. My back and hips are stronger so I have less frequent subluxations. It will take several months to go through the whole protocol, but I have been surprised how invigorating the isometric exercises can be - similar to Pilates, but with with guidance on how to not dislocate a knee, ankle, or other joint. No planking for the woman with the wrists that dislocate!
  • jaebennetti
    jaebennetti Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have a left total knee replacement done on March 2 due to arthritis. I would love to be a supportive friend to someone. Feel free to add me.