Anyone try 16-8 intermittent fasting?

Options
The idea is that you eat nothing for 16 hours. You start at bedtime, sleep 8 hours snd continue fasting another 8 hours. Then you have 8 hour window of time to eat what is on your diet. Do this every day. Supposed to be very effective weight loss strategy.

Replies

• ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    It really works for some people and doesn't for others. I think it depends on your body chemistry and isn't a one-size fits all answer. For example, I do better with small regularly spaced meals during my waking hours, with my calories evenly distributed. But there are a lot of people who do the 16-8 and swear it works for them.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I just started a 14:10 yesterday. I was doing this a couple years ago and it helped me lose the last few pounds as it aided in calorie control and meal planning. It fits my eating schedule perfectly and I read that 14:10 was easier on women. Fingers crossed.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I naturally eat in a 15:9 pattern. I generally eat from 12/1 - 9/10.

Ive always skipped breakfast and since i like to snack at night it helps ensure i have calories remaining after dinner.

Ultimately, its just a method of reducing calories. Its not going to automatically help you lose weight...you still have to be in a deficit.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    so you could sleep from 8p to 4a. then eat from noon to 8p. it might just feel like you skipped breakfast... must you sleep or can you just stop eating at a certain time? could you just stop eating at 8pm, go to sleep whenever, wake up whenever, and just not eat before noon?
  • Trump2016
    Trump2016 Posts: 80 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've been using a 21-3 window for a long time with zero problems.

IF is glorified probably more than it deserves, though. It just depends on what personally works for one's appetite.

I have no trouble consuming just water through 21 hours and I enjoy the hell out of stuffing my face for 3 and feeling like I have a full stomach for the longest time. Much more satisfying to me than eating smaller meals throughout the day.

If the idea of condensing your feeding window to control calories owed to feeling full sooner and longer keeps you on track, do it. If you'd rather do something else that still controls your appetite and you can maintain it, do that instead.

It's not some game-changing philosophy if you ask me. Its additional benefits tend to be overplayed too.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    so you could sleep from 8p to 4a. then eat from noon to 8p. it might just feel like you skipped breakfast... must you sleep or can you just stop eating at a certain time? could you just stop eating at 8pm, go to sleep whenever, wake up whenever, and just not eat before noon?

As long as you dont eat outside of the 8 hour window (for 16:8), your sleep/wake times domt matter. Eat from 8am to 4pm, go to sleep at midnight and get up at 6am. Or go to bed at 10pm, wake up at 10am and only eat between 2pm and 10pm. Or sleep 10pm to 8 am, but eat only from 12pm to 8pm. Whatever works for you.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, meal timing doesn't matter. 16:8 or 5:2 or small snacks every 3 hours all end up with the same result if you have the same calorie intake over the course of the week. It's overall calories that matter, not when you eat them.

If intermittent fasting is a way that you like to spread out your calories, go for it.
  • jsuh1993
    jsuh1993 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I used to eat only one meal a day for about 2 years. It really was due to my busy schedule, than trying to fit my diet plan. But I really liked it when my body was used to this because I can actually eat anything I want for that one dinner meal - Fitting into 2000-2500 cals.

Hell I think I was losing weight as long as I wasn't snacking...
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter when you eat as long as you are happy doing it. Its what you eat that counts.
    Hugh Jackman did this when training for Wolverine and ate 6000 calories in 8 hours! He never ate after 6pm.