BMI Chart

Options
This is my fourth day of my new approach. I have done quite well my first three days according to my scale. Probably water weight I figure. My long-term goal is to be at a healthy weight, however in the short-term this is not possible. So today I start with setting a short-term goal. I decided to use a BMI chart to help me set my short-term goal.

The BMI chart shows ranges for Morbid obesity, class2 obesity, class 1 obesity, overweight, normal weight and finally underweight.

My BMI is 45 .... yikes! Morbidly obese, and then some. I need to lose 40 pounds from my current weight today to move from morbid obesity to class2 obesity. I understand that this is a hefty goal (pun intended), but since my focus is day to day, meal to meal, I feel I can make good use of this goal regardless of how long it takes. I am determined not to be discouraged. I read my motivation list every day (well this is only my fourth day). I remind myself not to eat quickly, to savor the flavor, to look for an activity or chew some gum when I am feeling hungry between meals and snacks, most importantly ... I remind myself that this journey for me is a life or death issue.

This is my 2nd post in this community. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and means more to me than I can say.

Replies

• LadyValacri
    LadyValacri Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I went and took a BMI test of my own and oh goodness. I was 35.6 which is also morbidly obese. I'm not surprised by this but hey, now I know.

I believe in you! Stay motivated. One pitfall for me is I'd lose motivation and every day I'd start caring less and less until I just stopped all together. Don't let that happen to you. Also, sit in one place too long and you'll get stuck. This happens to me so much. I'll tell myself I'm going to work out after I check a few things on MFP or Facebook. 2 hours later I've completely forgotten about working out and I'm sucked into the internet. Keep moving so you don't get trapped.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    This is doable. Aim for steady, sustainable weight loss. I went from a BMI of 40+ to just under 25 over the course of four years (gained a bit with pregnancy #3 in 2014 so I'm now at a BMI of 26.something). Just keep at it.
  • cubfan26
    cubfan26 Posts: 11 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Lady, thank you for believing in me! Your reply is reminding me to learn from my mistakes and keep trying. I hope you are learning and are on a better path now. Regarding your BMI, 35.6 is class2 obesity. You need 40 or higher to reach morbid obesity. I imagine that class2 obesity is a major problem almost equal to morbid obesity. Good luck to us both!
  • cubfan26
    Options
    @ClosetBayesian, Your story is inspiring and gives me hope. Keeping with it is my A-#1 priority. Thanks for your feedback!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I started at BMI 47 and many here also have. I love that you have a list of motivations to read daily. Small goals are the key, as are a variety of goals such as weight, fitness, nutrition, doing the little things with more ease. It's s long challenging journey but it can be done. Many here have done it ' maintained.
    SW 301
    CW 169
    GW 150
    20 months
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    PS if you haven't already done so, take your starting measurements & "before" pics now!
  • dadizzy
    dadizzy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It is doable,of course it is.
    I'm in a very similar situation.
    One day at a time , one meal at a time, and before you know it, healthy eating will have become your normal,

Best of luck on your journey
  • doctor_4
    doctor_4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Start with a goal of just one month. Four pounds/month is very doable. Any step in the right direction is success.
  • cubfan26
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback, insights, encouragement and inspiration!
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Never give up even if you have a bad day, even if you have 10 bad days in a row, every bit counts and it will all work out as a loss. Don't look at it as how much time you've spent overweight, think of how happy you'll be in 10 years that you decided to start now.