Suggestions for Greek Yogurt

Options

Replies

• Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't like the texture of the Greek yogurt. Someone once likened it to toothpaste and now I can't get THAT out of my head. :)

What I want to try [once I replace my blender] is putting it in a blender with strawberries or blueberries or a mixture thereof and some ice or some almond milk and seeing IF, when mixed with the liquid from the fruit/almond milk, the texture it any more to my liking?

The idea of mixing sugar free Jell-O into it sounds like something I would try, too. I love the idea of portable protein and love low sugar yogurt..it's just that texture.

Does anyone have any good smoothie [health smoothie.. low sugar, preferably] recipes?

Thanks. :flowerforyou:
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like the brands that mix the flavors all in one.

I LOVE Athenos brand, though. It comes with separated compartments for the plain, nonfat yogurt and the flavored topping (I think the topping is fruit preservatives/jam, like strawberry, blueberry, peach, etcetera). And you can get a tub of the big plain nonfat container, too. It just tastes fresher to me when it's not mixed all together from the outset...maybe I'm weird. Lol.

But, for the plain, try it with a tablespoon of honey. It's sooooooo tasty. I usually mix it with 1/4 cup granola, too (favorite brand is Bear Naked, love the Bear Naked Fit Triple Berry Crunch). It gives it that extra crunchy texture. Yum.

I agree. I LOVE it seperate. A little scoop of fruit or honey with a little yogurt...soooooo yummy. So far my fave is the Fage. I love the thick creamy texture. Have to keep it in the house..it's my new thing..lol. I never really loved yogurt before..still dont like the runny kind. The greek though is so good.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I use honey-flavoured greek yogurt as a 'dip' for apple slices. I'll also eat the plain kind with a tiny bit of cinnamon mixed in and dip either apple slices or strawberries in it.

I also use plain yogurt as a binding agent in tuna salad instead of miracle whip or mayonnaise. You'll want to spice it up a bit because the flavour is a bit different. I like red pepper flakes for some added kick!
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    My favorite way to eat greek yogurt is to mix plain greek yogurt w/ some honey and peanut butter (I usually use PB2 to save some calories and fat of course!) It tastes so yummy
  • maryd4love
    maryd4love Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat greek yogurt is to mix plain greek yogurt w/ some honey and peanut butter (I usually use PB2 to save some calories and fat of course!) It tastes so yummy

I forgot all about PB2......where do you get that?
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I buy the Liberte brand from costco. Plain greek yogurt. have you tried it plain on a baked potato to replace sour cream?? YUMMY with a bit of salsa.
    I LOVE it with sliced strawberries, cinnamon but that may be too tart for you. I have also had it with a tbsp of Nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread, 100 cals which is high) reminds me of the flavor of chocolate cheese cake.
    You could also make Tzatiki and have it with warm pita bread and souvlaki......OH BLISS!!!! LOVE this recipie!!
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2007/07/worlds-best-tzatziki-sauce-recipe-greek.html
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    It's all about the vanilla Chobani!!! It/s the reason I get out of bed. :-D
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    My favorite afternoon snack at work is Chobani fat-free vanilla Greek yogurt with a tablespoon of honey mixed in... yummy!
    Mmm Chobani!:tongue: I'm on a blueberry 0% fat kick on that brand currently, I think it's because it's actual whole blueberries, not mushy fruit type 'stuff' at the bottom. :noway:

I love the pineapple too but it's not fat free. Haven't tried the Vanilla yet but when I see it I definitely will pick some up!:love:
  • BellaLacie
    BellaLacie Posts: 12
    Options
    I eat plain yogurt every day. I like to mix fresh or frozen fruit in it with a tablespoon of honey. I also use it as a topper on tacos and baked potatoes instead of sour cream.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It can take the flavor of what sweet "treat" you add to it (fruit, honey, pb, etc). Works great in smoothies for that dairy and protein kick.

Or it can act like sour cream when plain. I love it on my chicken tacos; used it as a chicken marinade; I have mixed it with dill and cucumber for a chicken salad dressing... and I've mixed it with powdered ranch dressing mix for a veggie dip. It's very versitile for a simple low fat high protein creamy dairy base.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't care for plain greek yogurt by itself. But, I do like it with annie's homegrown bunny grahams crushed into or graham crackers crushed into it. Just following the serving size.

Peanut butter. Almond butter. Honey. Cinnamon. All good "adds" to it. :)
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh, the ranch dressing sounds good too. I might give that one a try tomorrow. Thanks for all the ideas! I'll be playing around with it for a while to get it to where I will like it, I'm sure. I tried the blueberry flavored one tonight. By itself it wasn't too bad! But then I thought I'd get creative and try a little bit of honey and granola. Um... not so good. I threw it out. But I will try again tomorrow!!! Thanks again!
  • harderfasterstr0nger
    Options
    Greek yogurt is one of my favorite foods. I used to hate it but after convincing myself it would be good, I can finally enjoy it. The health benefits are just too awesome to pass up! Some of my favorite brands are Fage 0%, Chobani, and Oikos (by Stonyfeild)

I usually like to mix my yogurt these ways:

-Splenda and cinnamon
    -GF Maple Granola from Trader Joe's
    -Sugar free jam
    -Walden Farms no calorie syrup
    -Hidden Valley Ranch mix packet (makes an awesome dip!)
    -Throw some sugar free Jello cubes in there
    -Lingnon berry preserves
    -Throw some raspberries or bananas in there
    -A sprinkle of cereal

One way to ease yourself into it is put it in smoothies! I am usually not a huge proponent of lots of liquid calories as it is never very satisfying, but if it can get you into Greek yogurt, go for it!
  • mflm
    mflm Posts: 10
    Options
    when I found out fage had HUGE containers (4-5 servings) of their 0% plain...my life improved dramatically :) I LOVE IT. I am weird, though, apparently...I like it plain or with a cut up piece of fruit.

Dannon is terrible.
    Choibani is delicious, but not as thick as fage to me.
    Liberte has low-cal ones, but I can't find them all the time. Their high-cal versions (run up to 260/cup) are incredible as a desert, though.

If you like that tart, kefir/lassi taste like I do, the brand Skyr (icelandic yogurt) is AMAZING. It's thicker than greek yogurt (more like a custard) and simply the best. They only sell it at whole foods, and it's 2$/cup where I am, but when it goes on sale it's all I eat practically. Their website has really good recipes, too. http://www.skyr.is/

PS: if you've never tried lassi, but like kefir...go for it. It's tart, creamy, deliciousness.
  • queen_bea
    queen_bea Posts: 118
    Options
    i'm really not a fan of natural greek yogurt, but have recently picked up one by Black Swan (Australia - sorry i havent checked where you're from) it's called vanilla bean, and whilst it's slightly more palatable than regular greek yogurt, i put a handfull of frozen mixed berries in there. I think the last time i had a normal natural greek yogurt, i put blueberries in ther with some honey....
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    PS: if you've never tried lassi, but like kefir...go for it. It's tart, creamy, deliciousness.

LOL, I have no idea what either one are! Lassi? Kefir? I'm searching Google now. :)
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Add shredded, peeled English cucumber, some minced garlic, salt, pepper, and lime juice. Eat with toasted pita, on salads, with whatever. The taste is better when it sits in the fridge.

I've never eaten Greek yoghurt as a main dish, only as a component in other dishes. Flavoured seems strange, I'd rather buy it plain and add to it.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    My kitchen savvy husband makes potato salad with it. He mixes one 6 oz of plain Fage, with horseradish, lemon and a couple of other things like arugula and mixes it with baby potatoes. It delicious.
  • mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My kitchen savvy husband makes potato salad with it. He mixes one 6 oz of plain Fage, with horseradish, lemon and a couple of other things like arugula and mixes it with baby potatoes. It delicious.

mmmm.....that sounds good. I noticed this week Costco is now selling their own brand of greek yogurt at half the price of Fage and its just as good if not better!
  • makcarly
    makcarly Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Oikos Pure Pleasure with caramel on the bottom- YUM!