Completely Discouraged /cry

Options
I started this at 235 pounds. I lost 4 of those pounds the first week. I lost one pound the past two weeks. I started four weeks ago with the diet or way of eating. I have adjusted my weight goal from 2 pounds a week to 1 pound a week. At 2 pounds a week MFP gives me 1200 calories. I read so much my head is spinning about how 1200 is too low. Now at one pound a week it says I should be eating 1390. I started exercising ...it'll be three weeks on Monday. I walk on my new treadmill. Each day I have increased my walking so now at this current moment I walk at a pace of 3.2 mph and am able to do 1.7 miles in 33 minutes.
I am frustrated. I feel like I am doing something wrong. I'll open my diary for others to see, and this is scary for me as well and uncomfortable but I seriously cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. Is being on the treadmill 7 days a week too much? Should I be eating back my exercise calories? I don't track how much I burn from MFP as it really seemed to be way too high so I use a different site to hopefully be more accurate. I read where people say eat back your exercise calories and I see ones that say that's stupid and don't do it. I don't want to just give up. But I am also so discouraged. I need some advice or help. Please. :(

Replies

• sthoma13
    sthoma13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you estimating you are burning? (How long do you walk?) I say if it's less than 500 calories worth of exercise you are safe to not eat back your calories for a little bit of a faster loss. If it's more, I would eat back a portion or all of it in healthy foods that will keep your metabolism chugging along! Eating back the calories was a confusing thing for me at first as well, but the system is designed for you to eat them back as long as your lifestyle was set to "sedentary" because that means it has no exercise already built into your calorie goal. People are wary to eat back all the calories only because it's very easy to overestimate exercise and underestimate the portions u are actually eating - so they do it as a safety net.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    So, to cut a long story short, you started 4 weeks ago and lost 4 pounds. What more were you expecting?
    And no you're not "overtraining". Even if you did that half hour walk on the treadmill every day that's probably still under 5000 steps a day which still comes under "sedentary" unless you do anything else. Personally I think you could do with more exercise (aiming for 10,000 steps minimum) and be patient. Weight loss isn't linear. Some weeks you do better than others. It's just the way it works.... That's assuming you weigh everything you eat rather than estimate your food intake.
  • missfaye82
    missfaye82 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My advice is to try and not over think it. I also have to stick to 1,200 calories a day, sometimes I do, sometimes I go over a little bit...occasionally i go over a lot. I too have started to exercise. I generally think of my exercise calories as a buffer, if I want to have pasta, or a snack later in the evening...I let myself and not feel guilty because i have earned the extra calories. I totally understand how hard it is, very confusing information over diet and exercise...just be kind to yourself and celebrate the small steps. For example logging your food and being conscious of what you are eating, the fact you are doing exercise - all of those things are great!
    Half the battle is understanding the whole diet thing. I really didn't realize how many calories I was consuming, much of my new regime has been about educating myself. Stick with the new regime, and don't over think it - you are not alone in your weight loss journey!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    My first response to posts like yours is this great chart, courtesy of @lemonlionheart :smile:

adzlu508l9ei.jpg
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Another thing... Do you hold on when you you walk on the treadmill?? That reduces your calorie burn by at least 25%.
  • katkiv22
    katkiv22 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think 4 lbs in 4 weeks is great! So is starting to walk more and more and working it in to your daily routine. I'm too novice to everything to have much advice, but stick with it! I started at 1200 calories and decided it would be too hard starting out, so I bumped myself up to 1400. I'd rather take it slower at the start and keep with it than burn out too quickly.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    As far as calorie level/pounds per week, your best bet is to set a level you can maintain.

At your starting weight, unless you are on the tall side, two pounds a week should be fine as you are likely obese. But if you can't stick with it, then eating more/losing slower is absolutely fine, and, yes, mostly encouraged here. I used 1200 for a couple of months and have upped it over the last few weeks...I'll see how it goes.

Personally I wouldn't worry about eating calories back from a short walk. As another poster said above it isn't likely enough to bump you above sedentary.

If you are comfortable with 1390 and can stick with it then do that and just try to be patient.

It might be helpful to wear a step counter and work toward increasing your daily steps. A treadmill is okay, but if the weather is decent walking around a park a couple of times a day is good too, and more pleasant IMO. For me gentle walking is a nice way to bump up your activity level without really feeling more hungry.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    go to the success forum and you will see people bigger than you succeeding. meaning, u can as well. the best advice is to get from those that were there at some point and some time. but I'll tell u one thing. u have put a time frame on your weight loss and that is a problem, sister. you have a substantial amount to lose, you need to look at this long term and realize it will not take you a month, and it probably will take u a minimum of a year & that is to just lose weight, then starts the life long journey of maintaining. get the time frame out of your mind, learn how to live differently
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    With only a 190 calorie difference between the two calorie goals, you aren't going to lose 2 pounds a week on 1200 calories. You are losing which means you are going in the right direction.

Sometimes we just need to adjust our expectations.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    First, as mentioned, be patient. Those first 4 pounds included water weight, which is why it was higher than what you should expect moving forward.

Second, I can't tell from your diary whether you're weighing food or not. If you want to be more accurate with your logging (so that you're more accurate with your deficit), you should weigh all solid foods. Sometimes your diary has cups, but grams in parentheses, sometimes just cups.

Third, if you just recently upped your exercise, even if it's not intense by some standards, you may be retaining water at first, which will go away.

Fourth, if you are weighing once a week you may have missed a lower weight day.

Fifth, ignore the poster who mentioned exercise calories only being important if you enter sedentary and if you burn more than 500. First, if you are using MFP's method, your activity level does not include intentional exercise. No matter if you choose sedentary or active. You are meant to add your exercise. If you are burning 400 or 500 calories, that's a lot of additional deficit. Granted, those burns are often exaggerated. However, I have heard that walking burns tend to be more accurate (don't know if that's true, haven't looked into it). But, you can easily cut that in half and eat those back. If you're accurate with your logging, it would be a good idea to eat at least half. I would agree that if it's only 200 calories or so, though, it's not really important.

Basically, be patient and make sure your logging's accurate. Don't make changes for at least 4, if not 6, weeks.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You've lost 5 lbs in 4 weeks right? That is a good rate of loss. Why are you discouraged?
    You just changed your calorie goal and started exercising more. Be patient. Stick to what you are doing for a month at least before making changes.
    If you aren't losing after several weeks it is good to check the accuracy of your logging. If you aren't using a food scale you might try weighing your food to improve the accuracy of your logging. Choose correct entries.
    You can eat some of your exercise calories if you want. You haven't been doing that so it doesn't really matter if the amount of calories burned you log is accurate or not. If you start eating them you might eat only half to offset overestimated calorie burns.
    You will not lose weight every time you step on the scale. It does not mean you are doing things wrong.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You're down 5 pounds in either 3 or 4 weeks. What's the problem?
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain the weight in a month. It will take time. You've already made significant progress. Cry if you need to.

Exercise doesn't do much for weight loss but it helps manage mood and stress. Eating back exercise calories is a tricky personal question because they are highly variable. Activity monitors can only estimate the calories expended. When I was reducing, so I would eat half of the estimated exercise calories, just to control hunger.

More protein and fat, and less carbs may help control hunger.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Day_knee wrote: »
    I started this at 235 pounds. I lost 4 of those pounds the first week. I lost one pound the past two weeks. I started four weeks ago with the diet or way of eating. I have adjusted my weight goal from 2 pounds a week to 1 pound a week. At 2 pounds a week MFP gives me 1200 calories. I read so much my head is spinning about how 1200 is too low. Now at one pound a week it says I should be eating 1390. I started exercising ...it'll be three weeks on Monday. I walk on my new treadmill. Each day I have increased my walking so now at this current moment I walk at a pace of 3.2 mph and am able to do 1.7 miles in 33 minutes.
    I am frustrated. I feel like I am doing something wrong. I'll open my diary for others to see, and this is scary for me as well and uncomfortable but I seriously cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. Is being on the treadmill 7 days a week too much? Should I be eating back my exercise calories? I don't track how much I burn from MFP as it really seemed to be way too high so I use a different site to hopefully be more accurate. I read where people say eat back your exercise calories and I see ones that say that's stupid and don't do it. I don't want to just give up. But I am also so discouraged. I need some advice or help. Please. :(

It looks like you are losing, so no need to panic. The basic things that seem suspicious in your diary is the entries in cups for cereal and slices for bread. If these are verified with a scale, fine. If not, try verifying that what fits in your cup or what you consider a slice is indeed what is supposed to be a portion. My slice of bread is around 3 slices of what MFP thinks is a slice, and cereal, what fits in my average cup is closer to 3-4 servings.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Yes, people tend to freak out over the 1200 calories, but mine was the exact same as yours. I was given 1200 calories to lose 2 pounds a week, and 1390 to lose 1 pound a week. I did start out at a lower weight than you (165), but I was very firm with that 1200. (I should add that I didn't start visiting the forums until about half way through my loss, so I didn't have the static buzz or conflicting advice to throw me off.) Since you are starting at a higher weight than me it's possible that you could have a higher daily calorie intake and still lose depending on your height, and you would lower it as you go. BUT if MFP tells you that's what it takes to lose (and you entered everything correctly) then that's what it takes.

Anyway, I lost steadily. I worked out 3-4 times a week either doing 4.3 mile per hour walks for an hour, or doing workout videos on youtube. I now weigh 132 and am in maintenance at around 1800 calories a day. It took about 5-6 months to lose the 30 pounds.

As everyone says, weight lose is not steady. Even when you do everything right you can lose 3 pounds one week and then nothing for 2 weeks. There was a month when I was discouraged thinking I wasn't losing anything, then I went back to the chart MPF makes to graph weight loss and I realized I actually had lost 2 pounds that month. It's just hard to notice sometimes.
  • Day_knee
    Day_knee Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    sthoma13 wrote: »
    How many calories are you estimating you are burning? (How long do you walk?) I say if it's less than 500 calories worth of exercise you are safe to not eat back your calories for a little bit of a faster loss. If it's more, I would eat back a portion or all of it in healthy foods that will keep your metabolism chugging along! Eating back the calories was a confusing thing for me at first as well, but the system is designed for you to eat them back as long as your lifestyle was set to "sedentary" because that means it has no exercise already built into your calorie goal. People are wary to eat back all the calories only because it's very easy to overestimate exercise and underestimate the portions u are actually eating - so they do it as a safety net

I am walking approx 1.7 miles at 3.2 miles per hour. my treadmill says I burn 150 calories..mfp says I burn 500 and a fitness website I use seems a bit more accurate because it asks my weight, the incline level miles per hour etc..and that says 250. I rarely eat back those calories. I know I have on a day or two but I dont typically do it. YOu know how some say do it and some say don't. Its frustrating.
  • Day_knee
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    Another thing... Do you hold on when you you walk on the treadmill?? That reduces your calorie burn by at least 25%.

what do you mean by hold on? like the handle bars? No, holding on feels a bit awkward for me. Am I supposed to hold on to them? forgive my ...dumbness but I have honestly never really exercised before. I just get on and walk like I would down the street.
  • Day_knee
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I don't know if there IS one necessarily...its mostly me seeing others do so much more. A woman on my friends list said she lost 6 pounds this week. I think I am just worried I am not doing something right. I have not exercised like this ever before in my life...I have no real understanding of how to lose weight so I tried to make it simple..like the CICO thing. I try not to over think it but I feel behind in the four weeks Ive done this. Maybe it's all in my head.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I don't know if there IS one necessarily...its mostly me seeing others do so much more. A woman on my friends list said she lost 6 pounds this week. I think I am just worried I am not doing something right. I have not exercised like this ever before in my life...I have no real understanding of how to lose weight so I tried to make it simple..like the CICO thing. I try not to over think it but I feel behind in the four weeks Ive done this. Maybe it's all in my head.

It is all in your head.

You're losing weight. There is no problem.
  • Day_knee
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

It looks like you are losing, so no need to panic. The basic things that seem suspicious in your diary is the entries in cups for cereal and slices for bread. If these are verified with a scale, fine. If not, try verifying that what fits in your cup or what you consider a slice is indeed what is supposed to be a portion. My slice of bread is around 3 slices of what MFP thinks is a slice, and cereal, what fits in my average cup is closer to 3-4 servings.

I got the bread calories and slices from the actual bread loaf. It says its 120 or 130 for two slices. I don't remember exactly as I am not in the kitchen. Perhaps I just not eat bread? or just make a half sandwich instead of a whole? I weigh all other foods like my meat or potatos and even veggies. The cereal box says its 120 for cinnamon life for one cup. I get my measuring cup out and measure it along with the milk. I am thinking I just need to maybe be more strict with my bread and perhaps no cereal. I am going to re evaluate these two options. Thank you. I will see how to adjust these two items. I appreciate the help