Struggling with my cheat day, and it's only 2.30pm!

Options
So, it's Valentine's. I'm single. :(

Decided to have a cheat day (probably not a healthy term for it nor a good idea in the first pace but...well).

Have enjoyed deliciousness but I find I am already at 1500 calories and it's only 2.30pm. Would like an Indian takeaway and a couple of glasses of wine this evening but struggling to feel OK with it. Feel like I should stop now as I am almost at my calorie limit.

I've lost 39lbs since September 1st. I'm realistic and totally understand that one day is not going to completely derail me but for some reason I feel really apprehensive about having that takeaway tonight. I have generally included treats and snacks in my calories and also not been weirded out before about going over.

Any advice?

Replies

• CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    If you're really going to do a cheat day, then do one, and stop worrying about it.

1500 isn't bad, (figure 750 per meal?) and you are probably not even over maintenance unless you are a hobbit. Translation; you are still in deficit. I don't know your stats, but until you hit maintence you are at risk of gaining nothing (that'll be around 1800-2400 probably, depending on your height, weight, etc. once you hit that maintenance, you would have to then eat another 3000 calories before you gained one pound that wasn't water weight related to sodium intake etc, and i'm doubting you are going to do that... your dinner will be another 750-1000, which will only put you over the average maintenance diet (2000) by 500 points.

If that bothers you, then dock 50 cals a day from your allowance for the next few days until you've cancelled it out. but really? you decided to have a cheat day, so have one.
  • katkiv22
    katkiv22 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Indian sounds amazing! And wine always does :wink: I had a cheat day yesterday for Valentines. It was rather glorious but the back of my mind was thinking about the calories too. Today I had a tiny weight increase, but overall it was worth it to spoil myself a bit. Back on the wagon today with no real harm done!
  • valskeete
    valskeete Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I generally always have my cheat meal at the end of the day to avoid spiraling into bad food choices throughout the day.
  • Bizzarrini
    Bizzarrini Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, you have put it into perspective! I guess the idea of saving it till the evening will probably allay these anxieties next time. It feels so odd to just eat what I really want for a day!
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It does feel weird, doesnt it? Yesterday I found I had about 400 cals at the end of the day. I was satiated after lunch and dinner. I decided to eat ice cream AND caramel popcorn! 400 cals worth was a LOT. (after only having tiny nibbles for the past 6 weeks). I usually never have the cals for a 400cal snack unless its a carefully-planned-for social thing. This felt absolutely decadent.

Enjoy your Indian takeout! YUM!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If it's going to make you more miserable than happy, don't have that takeaway. Eat something lower in calories this evening and plan the takeaway for tomorrow or some other day. What's the point of a spending calories on something for the purpose of enjoying it if you are not going to actually enjoy it? Alternatively keep telling yourself that it's fine until it's actually fine.
  • Bizzarrini
    Bizzarrini Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Oh dear - worst night's sleep in months and had a really sore tummy this morning! Kinda good in a way because it's put me off doing that again for quite some time! Back to healthy food being my reward lol.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Indian food would never give me regrets. I love it! That being said, I can cook most of it myself... But I don't have a fryer, so no samosas
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Maybe change your cheat day to a meal, or even a treat dessert ;) Going all out causes more problems than it's worth, imho.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    you have problems with cheat day(s).....solution, quit doing cheat days
  • StencilChild
    StencilChild Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with splurging once every few weeks. Just like there is nothing wrong with skipping a workout once every few weeks. It will not put you back to square one. Think of it like hitting the pause button on a movie, not stop. It could, as you noticed, help keep you on track/motivated to strive to do better.

Way I see it, it is like calling in sick to work once in a blue moon to have a "mental health day." Won't get you fired, but the amount of work is still there, just need to pick up the pace to make sure you get it all done!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with having a special meal for yourself. If it bugs you, just eat more of a deficit for the rest of the week :)
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Just work out harder and drink lots of water. It will help because probably the scale will go up more than it should just from sodium/water retention. So the sooner you get the water weight back off the better you will feel.