People who used to eat emotionally - what did you do instead when you were stressed/sad?

Options
2»

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I literally run away from my problems. The more upset I am, the faster I run/bike, and by the time I get back, I've forgotten all about emotional eating. I used to joke that I should send my previous boss a thank you card for all the weight he made me lose -- I was running an awful lot right before I quit. :wink:

This made me laugh and think of my boss from years ago. I liked archery so I would set up my target and envision his head on it.....worked every time and I got quite accurate!
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of emotionally walking. Sometimes it really does help distract. Regular exercise seems to help me curb it in general. When I have the urge to overeat because of my emotions (all my emotions want food, not just stress) I try to picture myself a year from now. I want to be smaller. Not going to happen if I keep overeating.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk and don't bring any money with you, exercise or clean something. I turn into a cleaning freak when I am upset.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk, go shopping (hard on the wallet though) , sip water, read a book
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Exercise.

Or go somewhere without food - like I wouldn't go to a grocery store or near my kitchen but I would go to a bookstore or outside or a library

The bookstores I go to have cafes, as does my library. :wink:
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Music and walking are mine, too. Also, be nice to yourself in every other way- get your coziest blanket and a cup of tea and curl up with your favorite book or show. Whatever distracts you and makes you feel calmer :)
  • Deadcat66
    Deadcat66 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Going for a walk helps me. I think the physical activity helps mental strains from dominating your mind as it is a distraction. Try going a different route you've never been on every time, even just to the level of walking the other side or the street to normal and you see everything from a new point of view. Just this can help your mind sort itself out. Also take a few very deep breathe while out walking and sigh this releases tensions you are holding onto. hope that helps.
  • sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Go window shopping. I love to do this. Focus on all the cool clothes you're going to get when you meet your goal.

This is going to sound silly, but also when I'm upset, I like to play Guns N Roses Appetite For Destruction at top volume in my car and sing/shout along with ol' Axl Rose. IDK why this helps, but it always makes me feel better.

I get this! Also in the this is going to sound silly category......dance. whatever music you like but dance around your living room. It will make you smile, guaranteed. It will lighten your mood and burn some calories and that will take away your junk food cravings. Just try It, for even one song, and let us know how it goes.
  • my_cleanfit_journey
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater who spent the better part of the last 10+ yrs using food as a way to feel "better" & those of us out there know how that goes. I decided to make a change 9mos ago & started running & I've got to agree that exercise is key for me. By the time I'm done doing my run/workout all my stress is gone :)
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions and your stories <3

I ended up not buying junk food yesterday. I did scream out loud and cry a little bit. Then I picked up my dumbbell and played Downtown by Macklemore on loop. Not a big amount of exercise, but enough that I felt more grounded.

What first deterred me from going to the store was that it was -25C degrees outside plus wind, so I did not end up going for a walk, but you're right that has been helpful in the past.
    JennieMaeK wrote: »
    Exercise definitely helps. I find that regular exercise helps keep my stress levels down and makes me less incline to eat emotionally. And if I'm having a bad day, exercise is a great mood booster. I like running, but I think anything that gets your heart pumping and kicks those endorphins in is good.

I also enjoy knitting. I find the repetitiveness relaxing, almost meditative. Keeps me occupied as well.

I 100% need to get back to knitting, I forgot how wonderful it is. My sweater has been sitting 3/4 finished for too long. :) I also miss running, but I can't do it yet because of my knees.
    pbprincess wrote: »
    I take a bath with my music loud so I can't hear anyone else. Or I go for a long hike/bike ride (like several hours long), and have a treat afterwards since I generally dump 1000+ calories in the process.

I had a bath yesterday as well (and today). :)
    CollieFit wrote: »
    I always had a pretty normal relationship with food, but when both my parents died after long chronic illness I became an emotional eater for a while and I became fat. Then I found myself some bereavement counselling and found a more appropriate way of managing my emotions. Now when I feel a bit frustrated I let it out during exercise.

I'm very sorry for your loss, that sounds rough. I did actually bring up my eating in therapy but my therapist said I would need to find someone else to work on it with because she did not specialize in EDs. :disappointed: I'm hoping to figure it out myself, but it would have been useful to have that support I agree.
    gia07 wrote: »
    What are you emotional about?

If you were going to put your coat on and go buy ice cream, put your coat on and go buy your self something you need or just go somewhere and stop getting so worked up over food.

I am not sure I would call this emotional eating? It just sounds like you are hangry for some reason.

I was having an overwhelming sensation of emotions, I don't really know if there was an "about" - I was not sleeping well for a number of nights because of anxiety and I kept having very weird/idiotic nightmares about social media. It's a mixture of feeling sad about valentines day (cliche, I know), being angry with myself for not being as on top of my homework as I'd like to be, reliving a number of social awkwardness moments over and over, and PMS hormonal Overreacting to Life. The emotions were present for a number of days before I felt compelled to eat - but I do know it was emotional eating because it does feel like a building of stress until I eat a lot of terrible junk food. But I know the eating doesn't help, and I feel more self loathing, but it still happens sometimes all the same. I also wasn't hungry, so it's not eating for hunger.
    eamelone88 wrote: »
    I used to be a huge emotional binge eater, there are websites available with tips on how to stop emotional eating. Just Google it, :). I enjoy walking a lot, helps clear your mind. I also enjoy doing word searches! ;) oh I also am learning how to crochet and started reading more. Those are just a few things you can do to keep your mind busy and active and not think about food. Also tell yourself every day that you're stronger than the urge to eat junk food. You have to remind yourself. You can do it!

Thank you! I will look them up. I've been reading a lot lately too, and I've found it helpful with my sleep. :) Thanks <3

• Icandoit233
    Icandoit233 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have the same struggle. I just ate 780 calories worth of brownies in a sitting :( now I just feel disappointed in myself
  • happyscruffy
    happyscruffy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm browsing this forum as an alternative to giving into my emotions and over eating.
  • laurindinhamanuel
    Options
    I eat emotionally and i'm trying to stop.seems vert hard
  • laurindinhamanuel
    Options
    I eat emotionally and i'm trying to stop.it seems very hard
  • Tatarataa
    Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    What helps me is physical exercise, walking, dancing, sports, gym, shopping, wndow shopping, games on internet, arts and crafts, pamper myself (mostly by myself like doing new nailpolish, massage, body lotion, cup of tea...but also sometimes manicure, bought massage etc.-instead of eating away my money in foods), counting, mindfulness exercieses, yoga, breathing, relaxing youtube videos, read a silly magazine (instead f eating something silly)

• laurindinhamanuel
    Options
    I am very busy those days and i think that when i can't control things. i eat to be less stressed.thanks for all that ideas.if i understand i have to look for any activity that helps me forget food? Nailpolish helps too? I'll try it.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I clean.
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Drink some water. Find/call someone to vent my frustration/ share my sadness ..
    Sleep.