Day of Rest

Options
chrissyh
chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
I've bumped up my cardio to kickstart my body (I stopped losing for a month) - I've now completed 8 days of cardio in a row but my hip is really hurting. I got a newsletter via email this morning and it talked about the body needing a day of rest. I am scared to rest that I won't get back into it but my pain leads me to think I need to.

My question is - what's your normal routine for weight loss - do you include rest days?

Replies

• chrissyh
    Options
    I've bumped up my cardio to kickstart my body (I stopped losing for a month) - I've now completed 8 days of cardio in a row but my hip is really hurting. I got a newsletter via email this morning and it talked about the body needing a day of rest. I am scared to rest that I won't get back into it but my pain leads me to think I need to.

My question is - what's your normal routine for weight loss - do you include rest days?
  • mrhappy
    mrhappy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Funny you posted this - I usually do not (other than Sunday due to church, visiting, etc.) but I am really sore this morning! I did an eight mile walk/run on Sunday, moved some household furniture yesterday (was up till midnight) and did a pretty extensive ashtanga yoga class for an hour an a half last night... I think I need a day of rest!:frown:
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I am a crazy exerciser- and I rest 1 day per week. Also, try switching to circuit training/strength training on a couple of your cardio days. The repetitive nature of cardio makes you more prone to overuse injury.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I use both Saturday and Sunday as my days off from exercise. If it's nice out and I want to take my dog for a walk it's extra.
    For me I like the days off from an emotional stand point. Saturday is the only day of the week I sleep in and I look forward to it. Even if I don't sleep much later, it still feels good.
    Sunday is church so no time for exercise in the morning.
    I've used this for along time and for me it works.
  • dangerkitty2001
    Options
    I personally think a day of rest is good for preventing burn-outs. I took my day of rest yesterday, and now I am actually looking forward to getting to the gym today. :happy:
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    My rest day was suppose to be yesterday! But Dh had to go to the gym last night (got to love the Army) so I went too and got a really good workout in! I NEED to take tonight off...but knowing that he has to go and that we don't have a lot of time together (Yay, deployments :grumble: ) I think I might go and do a very light workout (just walk on the treadmill).
  • chrissyh
    Options
    I am a crazy exerciser- and I rest 1 day per week. Also, try switching to circuit training/strength training on a couple of your cardio days. The repetitive nature of cardio makes you more prone to overuse injury.

I had been told to lay low on strength to build cardio to kickstart my metabolism - but now that I'm moving again maybe it's time to add a bit of both.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Pain=rest day.

(IMHO). .. also you'll be super-charged after a day off, and your first workout back will feel great.

:flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Pain is your body's way of telling you something is wrong.
    Take a day off, but still warm up and stretch (stretching cold is a terrible idea).

I usually do 2-3 days of lifting, then a day of cardio, then back to lifting. Then I rest on the 7th day. Or, if I'm doing an especially strenuous workout, I'll lift every other day and either rest or do light cardio in between. The rest is just as important as the workout.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

I had been told to lay low on strength to build cardio to kickstart my metabolism - but now that I'm moving again maybe it's time to add a bit of both.

Well that's silly. What burns more calories? All the muscles in your body or that one muscle in your chest?
  • chrissyh
    Options

Well that's silly. What burns more calories? All the muscles in your body or that one muscle in your chest?

I phrased what I said wrong....I had hit a plateau from not eating enough...so when I started adding in calories, I gained a little - I was told to increase cardio because I was only doing strength stuff so the cardio was to kickstart my metabolism and it seems to be working.

My hip actually is feeling better today as the day progresses. I may walk - low impact but still moving.
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Chrissy:

I work out 6 days a week and I always have sundays as my rest day. To me sundays are the best day of the week, gives me something to look forward to.

I do love to work out but I love not doing it too!

Keep up the awesome work!
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I rest at least 1 day sometimes 2 depending on the day. My body needs a rest day in there somewhere.

Never feel bad about taking a rest. You did the right thing with more cardio if you stop losing weight I believe more cardio less weights until you see more weight loss. It has worked for me in the past...

Alisha:happy:
  • abillings9
    Options
    I've been taking one day off on Sunday. And I switch up and try to do cardio and strength each day so I'm not doing too much of each.
  • lpadilla75
    Options
    I usually take Sunday's off. I workout out this past Sunday but it was a light workout out routine.