Lost Weight, Now Slipping back into Old Habits

Options
I've been overweight nearly my entire life with a lot of failed "diets" lasting no more than 2-3 days at a time. Then, something clicked and from July 2014 to May 2015, I lost nearly 60 pounds (300+ lbs down to nearly 260 lbs). I did this by simply tracking calories and staying within my targets on MFP.

Then from June 2015 to now (Feb 2016), I've gained 15 of those pounds back and seem to be heading down that slippery slope of my old bad habits of binge eating. Has this ever happened to any of you? Any tips on getting back on track?

Replies

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Seems to me you are already heading in the right direction - honest recognition of the situation. :)

Plug in your info, start tracking and logging again. Chances are since you mention bad habits you already know what you need to cut back or cut out.

Once more into the breach...
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Yes this has happened to me. In 2010 I lost 30 pounds. By the end of 2012 I had gained 15 back. I started on MFP and lost them. A year or so later I gained them back again! I started back on MFP in April and got back down to my goal weight in September. This time I'm going to continue to weigh myself several times a week, recording on Mondays, so that if my weight starts creeping up I can start tracking my diet again for a while to hold myself in check. In fact that's what I'm doing this week as my weight had climbed a few pounds too high. I'm already back down to my goal weight again so phew! Disaster averted, lol.

Yeah so that's the key for me- don't stop monitoring my weight no matter what!

I'm not really a binge eater, more like a general-eat-too-much eater. I can really eat a lot though when I really like the food so I do have to be careful in some instances not to overdo it and eat too much at once.

Good luck to you on your journey!
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Statistics suggest this happens to the majority of people who attempt weight loss, so... yes. That doesn't make it a life sentence of it being impossible to control weight, though.

You did it once, you can do it again. It's just a matter of doing the same things you did before- track your food, move more. Consider what changed when you went from losing/maintaining to gaining, and reverse those things, or change your habits to avoid those pitfalls.

Often it's easier when you're losing, I think, because that's goal-oriented. You get little periodic successes. The scale moves down, people notice and compliment you. You can tend to idealize what it'll be like when you achieve your goals.

Maintaining is less glamorous. It's old hat by then. People rarely say, "Wow, you look like you haven't gained or lost weight in months or years!" even though it's just as much work as losing. You find being at your goal weight isn't as great as you thought it would be (it's great, it's just not fantasy-life). The scale doesn't move, which is the point, but also isn't very exciting. The foreverness of "doing this forever" gets more overwhelming. It's easy to think "Well, I'm thin now, one donut won't hurt," and easy for one donut to become four.

The only real tip is to remember that there are only three states- losing, gaining, and maintaining. You're always going to be in one. You have to decide which one you want, and do what it takes to get there. You already know from history that your "default" habits tend to put you in "gaining." So if you don't want to be there, you have to go back to the methods you know work, even if it's a challenge.
  • brandenburg25
    brandenburg25 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice and kind words. Greatly appreciated!
  • lukefellows
    lukefellows Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, except at the moment I'm generally losing weight. The last week has been hard with various friends wanting to go out for food and cinema etc and a wedding yesterday. It's about being focused and vigilant and it will happen
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    This has happened to me multiple times. To get back on track I completely start over. Clean out the cabinets, plan every meal, log and track all food, create a plan for exercise, etc.. Most importantly, get in the right head space. Think about how much you want to lose the weight and all the reasons why and then just do it.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    This has happened to me multiple times. To get back on track I completely start over. Clean out the cabinets, plan every meal, log and track all food, create a plan for exercise, etc.. Most importantly, get in the right head space. Think about how much you want to lose the weight and all the reasons why and then just do it.

Yes, this is the most important part! It's also the most difficult, for me, anyway. And it's not really something anyone can help us with. We just have to find our own way.

Good luck!
  • jayinatlanta
    jayinatlanta Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    OP, congrats: you've still lost over 40 pounds and you're going to lose more and then keep it off.

Emmy gave some great advice. A couple of pieces in there I figured out on my own and have found very valuable:
    - ALWAYS have goals. Even if you were close to your ideal weight, it's got to be a goal to make sure you're still taking in the nutrition you need and being as active as you need, so log, log, log, whether it's on paper or MFP.
    - Personally I've looked at weight life as either going towards obesity, or moving away from obesity. Emmy added a third status which is great, but I'll tell you, I didn't want to be in the going towards obesity category. Even if that's the only goal, it helps.
    - Stay super-positive. You have done great things for yourself and others in your life, and you will absolutely be able to keep doing them.

Have fun!
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Been there and done that a few times. However each time I get back on track and generally reach a new low. That low reminds me the next time I can do this and how it feels to be there.

I slipped a bit over xmas but have got back into it resonantly well. The last week proved tough but I think I have my head back in the game this week. Sometimes I slip but then I remind myself that I have actually done really well and I am better off than I was a few years ago.

Goals are great, they dont have to be a particular weight. Fitness goals are good as they dont focus on your weight but losing weight can help you achieve that goal. Rewards/incentives for achieving milestones (even mini ones).

I am going on a beach holidays in 3 months, I want to feel good about myself and not hide in photos. But also the holidays will come just after a fun run (I love to run) and not long before a city to surf run event that I have done once and would love to do again. Doing it 2 years ago was such a great achievement for me, I will never forget that my Dad turned up to suprise me at the finish line.