Need motivation

Options
Lazy to exercise. How do you motivate yourself?

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    My motivation is, seeing my name at the top of the list in the gym every month, (for most active members), plus I like having my 10,000 steps in everyday before I get to work. It motivates me to get in there every day.
    Honestly, that is what keeps me going there every morning. I have only missed one day since I joined the gym on 1/25/15, and that was because of a snow storm. I worked out at home that day..................well, and there is the benefit of being healthier.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I generally enjoy the exercise I choose to do (running, mainly, but also swimming, playing badminton, walking) and don't force myself to do much of what I don't like (deciding to cycle as my primary form of exercise would fail, for example).

Exceptions would be resistance training (which is good for you but I don't particularly like), and the occasional gym class my friends drag me to.

I either:

- Tell myself to stop being lazy, get off my backside and get on with it. I never regret a workout once I get going, and usually enjoy it more than expected.
    - Make a deal with myself that I'm going but can stop when I want. 99 times out of 100 I do the whole routine/class and have fun in the process.
    - Get it out of the way early in the day. Morning me is more motivated.
    - Plan something pleasant I can only have after I've completed the workout. Might be a tasty breakfast, a magazine, a hot bath, whatever.

I like exercise but I don't always feel a sense of excitement about getting started. I am committed to doing it though, so it has to be done some days whether I fancy putting on my trainers and getting out the door or not. Nobody would reach their goals if they only did what needed to be done on the days they really felt like it.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If you want some motivation search "Ironman Kona 2015" on YOUTUBE. Watch the clip ;)

Get ready to be inspired ;)
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    In addition, I watch my favorite athletes perform great things. It inspires me :)

I also love to follow/like people on Instagram who post about fitness and fitness accomplishments... some of their stories are just inspiring! A picture is worth 1000 words and soon enough you will be able to "self motivate". :)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in hitting performance based goals in a specific time frame.

Ultimately, my training sessions build on previous sessions and provide the basis for upcoming sessions.

To miss sessions is to not want to achieve my goals in the time frame I've laid out.

Motivation is nebulous and ebbs and flows. Habit is strong.

Make a habit, have a plan, lay out a time table, achieve a goal.
  • nitagrobler
    nitagrobler Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My motivation is, seeing my name at the top of the list in the gym every month, (for most active members), plus I like having my 10,000 steps in everyday before I get to work. It motivates me to get in there every day.
    Honestly, that is what keeps me going there every morning. I have only missed one day since I joined the gym on 1/25/15, and that was because of a snow storm. I worked out at home that day..................well, and there is the benefit of being healthier.

Thats good. I joined a gym last year June. Went for the 1st month. This year i only went a week ago, 3 times.
  • nitagrobler
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I generally enjoy the exercise I choose to do (running, mainly, but also swimming, playing badminton, walking) and don't force myself to do much of what I don't like (deciding to cycle as my primary form of exercise would fail, for example).

Exceptions would be resistance training (which is good for you but I don't particularly like), and the occasional gym class my friends drag me to.

I either:

- Tell myself to stop being lazy, get off my backside and get on with it. I never regret a workout once I get going, and usually enjoy it more than expected.
    - Make a deal with myself that I'm going but can stop when I want. 99 times out of 100 I do the whole routine/class and have fun in the process.
    - Get it out of the way early in the day. Morning me is more motivated.
    - Plan something pleasant I can only have after I've completed the workout. Might be a tasty breakfast, a magazine, a hot bath, whatever.

I like exercise but I don't always feel a sense of excitement about getting started. I am committed to doing it though, so it has to be done some days whether I fancy putting on my trainers and getting out the door or not. Nobody would reach their goals if they only did what needed to be done on the days they really felt like it.

I am also more motivated and more in the mood to exercise in the morning but i start work at 05h00. By the time i go home i am just not in the mood to exercise.
  • nitagrobler
    Options
    ironhajee wrote: »
    If you want some motivation search "Ironman Kona 2015" on YOUTUBE. Watch the clip ;)

Get ready to be inspired ;)

Will do. Tnx a lot.
  • nitagrobler
    Options
    ironhajee wrote: »
    In addition, I watch my favorite athletes perform great things. It inspires me :)

I also love to follow/like people on Instagram who post about fitness and fitness accomplishments... some of their stories are just inspiring! A picture is worth 1000 words and soon enough you will be able to "self motivate". :)

I started following people on instagram. Motivates me a lot. It's just to start.