meal replacement shake

Options
I need a meal replacement shake that's healthy and not very expensive

Replies

• Yellowon02
    Yellowon02 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Something premade? I would recommend making your own. Cheaper in the long run and better for you.
  • Amanda_Tate28
    Amanda_Tate28 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Well I am not sure what kind you are looking for but I do like banana, yogurt, peanut butter, strawberry, flax seed, almond, and spinach for breakfast sometimes.
  • markyrocks
    markyrocks Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Apparently Aldis Trim and Slim is supposed to be good. In picking up some tomorrow :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel you need to replace meals? Food can be as healthy and cheap as you like. Make yourself a smoothie or hot cocoa if you want a nutritiuos drink. But you don't have to drink your food, solid food will be digested the exact same way as liquid food.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Walmart has some shakes. Pretty much it's just expensive skim milk with vitamins added. Oh, and added sugars.
    Sometimes, I make a protein powder shake when I'm in a hurry. Walmart sells those.
  • Birdie1952
    Birdie1952 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Atkin's has a protein shake that is very good. Has 15gr of protein and only 1 gr of sugar. I like the mocha Latte the best.
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    markyrocks wrote: »
    Apparently Aldis Trim and Slim is supposed to be good. In picking up some tomorrow :)

Some Aldis sell a different formula. Looking at ounces, the 10 oz tastes gross and has less nutrients. The older formula is 11oz, more vitamins, and tastes like chocolate milk.

Kroger also sells one that is decent.
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You have so many more options if you buy some protein in a jug and look up recipes. I recommend BSN syntha-6 but if you really don't want to make anything i would use core power protein in chocolate
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    DONT DO IT
    Lose your hair
    Mess your periods up
    Memory problems
    You end up feeling deprived
    Costs a fortune
    You end up gaining more than you lose long term
    I know I spent 2005-2008 yoyoing on them
    Real food is much better
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    DONT DO IT
    Lose your hair
    Mess your periods up
    Memory problems
    Costs a fortune
    Real food is much better

A tad dramatic.... I make my own protein smoothie everyday for lunch, and have done for the last year. Haven't experienced any of the problems you listed, which wont occur at all if your calories and macros are on point!
  • markyrocks
    markyrocks Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. The Aldi shakes are nice.
    DONT DO IT
    Lose your hair
    Mess your periods up
    Memory problems
    Costs a fortune
    Real food is much better

A tad dramatic.... I make my own protein smoothie everyday for lunch, and have done for the last year. Haven't experienced any of the problems you listed, which wont occur at all if your calories and macros are on point!

Christine - what do you put in your smoothie? :)
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie most evenings as "dessert". My recipe is: 1 cup water, 2 scoops protein powder sweetened with stevia or the like, 3/4 cup frozen mixed berries (or a frozen banana), 1/4 cup ricotta cheese. The result is an incredibly thick and rich smoothie. I haven't tried the peanut butter in them, but that sounds like a nice addition.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    markyrocks wrote: »
    DONT DO IT
    Lose your hair
    Mess your periods up
    Memory problems
    Costs a fortune
    Real food is much better

Christine - what do you put in your smoothie? :)

Marky, I use:

choc /peanut butter casein powder
    Almond milk
    Avocado
    Berries. Strawberries, blackberries or raspberries
    chia seeds
    Spinach
    and sometimes coconut oil, depending where my fat grams are sitting.

• Christine_72
    Options
    Oh, it's not a meal "replacement", it's an actual meal. It's that thick, I eat it with a spoon.

• yohoshana26
    yohoshana26 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback I would love to make my own but I don't know what a lot of that stuff is like flax seed
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback I would love to make my own but I don't know what a lot of that stuff is like flax seed

Flax & Chia are good for fiber (healthy fat and other stuff) - even Wal-Mart sells them now. Look for it by the flour.

If you are truly looking to replace a meal (not just supplement protein)....look for protein, fat & fiber counts too.

This is why homemade is so much better. Start with a protein powder and add your favorite fruit & veggie....you can't even taste spinach in a smoothie. The liquid can be milk or yogurt. You can even throw oats in there. Look for a fat source....nuts, nut butter, oil, avocado or seeds.

• yohoshana26
    yohoshana26 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you that sounds great