Loose Skin?

Options
Hiya! I'm an 18 year old and I'm about 70 pounds overweight. I'm concerned about sagging skin since I'm looking to lose the 70 pounds I need to lose. I've been on MFP for about a week, but, I've been exercising and dieting the past month and I've already lost about ten pounds since starting. Since I'm still pretty young, I've only been overweight for six years and I'm losing it slowly with exercising, will I run into sagging skin? Is there anyway I can prevent this from happening?

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    There is no way to know, except time. Age is in your favour. Lose the weight and if you have a bit of loose skin, wait a few years, it may go away. Either way, you will feel better and be healthier.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I do keep hearing that it can take about 2 years of maintaining our goal weights before skin tightens up, if at all. I hold on to this little nugget of hope with both paws.
  • lisanataliestanley
    Options
    i lost that much twice over 5 years at about ur age i had no loose skin but got a few stretch marks no biggy u gonna look fantastic! one thing i did do religiously i used nivea q10 body cream after every shower not sure if still for sale anymore but its got elastistisity stuff in it so is good for ur skin to stretch back or use good old cocoa butter cream works for moms x good luck
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I lost 80ish pounds when I was 19-20 yrs old... ZERO sagging skin! Honestly I doubt u have to worry because you are young, the key is to lose it at a slow and steady pace, and the younger you are the quicker your skin will bounce back.. I lost it in about 8 months which is fast and still had no issues.. Now I'm 28 and having the issue of loose skin, definitely not as buoyant as when I was younger!
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I think..purely speculative..loose skin only happens when you REALLY push the elasticity of your skin..like if you get stretch marks in lots of places at the same time, you're probably going to have some loose skin..

However I know, I've lost 80lbs recently and don't have any loose skin..I've got another 50ish to go tho, so I might get loose skin at some point?
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you wonton until you lose the weight. Age is on your side. Lose the weight don't worry about the saggy skin.
  • Acacia_Evers
    Acacia_Evers Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Like others say, you won't know until you drop the weight. At your current age and weight, not likely. Even if you do end up with loose skin, please know that it will always look 100% than a body that is obese. It's a battle scar and it's something that can be medically taken care of.
  • KendraMonster
    KendraMonster Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am slightly worried about this myself but I look at it that I would rather have loose skin than fat. I also have a game plan that if i do have loose skin and it bothers me there are cosmetic alternatives available, some of which are covered by health insurance that my dr has already presented to me. Might not be your cup of tea though and thats okay.I found in my case I was making it an issue as an excuse to give up.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Not quite the same but if you consider I weighed 200 when pregnant, lost 40 of it quickly (having a baby will do that), then 5 years later lost 35 more. I have a little sag in my tummy, but really it's not much. Plus, I'm twice your age. So I think you will be just fine.

And if you have to look sexy in a one piece instead of a bikini then I'm sure you won't really mind. :)
  • Hanicombs
    Hanicombs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You know, after hearing all of your opinions, I'm not even worried about sagging skin anymore! Of course, it's possible, but, I'm still young and my skin is well taken care of-- but, I don't even think it's a concern anymore. I'd rather be healthy with a bit of sagging skin than overweight and winded trying to walk across campus. I mean, if it's a huge problem then what's a bit of skin removal surgery that's bad? I'm more concerned about being healthy than what's under my clothing, honestly.
  • silverarcheress
    silverarcheress Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm 29 and only started getting saggy skin at the loss of 60lb and after losing 77lb so far it's only noticeable to me really. Youth is definitely in your favour and making sure you moisturise and pamper your skin will make you feel better whether it happens or not. I would be surprised if 70lb weight loss will lead to needing cosmetic surgery, I doubt you'd have folds and folds of excess skin :smile: Just see what happens and enjoy all the positive things about weight loss first :smiley: