Atkins help....

Options
Is anyone out there currently doing, starting, thinking about the Atkins Diet? I know there are a lot of people who are not for this diet. I am asking those who have have information regarding the program, sustainability, weight loss... Anyone?

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I have carb issues. After researching, and still reading his book, I have determined that I am fat because of carbs. And no, Atkins doesn't omit carbs from the diet, in fact it is the exact opposite. Less carbs as opposed to over load. Makes perfect sense for thos who are carb-fat.

My problem.... How in the world will this work for me considering I don't eat tons of meat? What would I consume in the induction phase?

Thanks anyone for any help!

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about the phases.. but I do agree with lowering carbs as a general principle. I LOVE pasta, rice, bread, all those carbs. In reducing them however, I have reduced my weight. I don't agree with removing one food group entirely from your diet, but reducing a previously unhealthy diet to a healthier one is definitely do-able.

As for foods that you can eat instead of meat - tofu, eggs, lots of vegies. All these have the stuff you need! I'd research high protein meat alternatives - vegetarians and vegans manage to do it quite successfully if they're well read on nutrition.
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    Have you actually tied proper dieting? How can you say you're "fat" from carbs. Carbs are 4 kcal per gram. It's the same as protein. Granted, protein has a higher thermogenic effect on the body but it's not going to make a huge difference.

Maybe post up your diet/exercise plan for the last few months and then you can find something that is a little healthier than Atkins.
  • ohthatmomma
    ohthatmomma Posts: 115
    Options
    I don't know much about the phases.. but I do agree with lowering carbs as a general principle. I LOVE pasta, rice, bread, all those carbs. In reducing them however, I have reduced my weight. I don't agree with removing one food group entirely from your diet, but reducing a previously unhealthy diet to a healthier one is definitely do-able.

As for foods that you can eat instead of meat - tofu, eggs, lots of vegies. All these have the stuff you need! I'd research high protein meat alternatives - vegetarians and vegans manage to do it quite successfully if they're well read on nutrition.

Thank you for the tips. I
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Is anyone out there currently doing, starting, thinking about the Atkins Diet? I know there are a lot of people who are not for this diet. I am asking those who have have information regarding the program, sustainability, weight loss... Anyone?

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I have carb issues. After researching, and still reading his book, I have determined that I am fat because of carbs. And no, Atkins doesn't omit carbs from the diet, in fact it is the exact opposite. Less carbs as opposed to over load. Makes perfect sense for thos who are carb-fat.

My problem.... How in the world will this work for me considering I don't eat tons of meat? What would I consume in the induction phase?

Well you said "i don't eat tons of meat" that means you eat it, but you don't eat lots of it... What is wrong with just consuming more? I recently bought a zero carb protein shake. I think it's like about 50 grams per serving... I guess you can get in 3 servings a days, but that does cost a lot. I went to the grocery store today checking things out in the meat section... there are a ton of low carb options... they are meat... but not necessary a big steak or chicken parts. I saw these 1 carb hot dogs... I wanted them!!!

The reason people criticize the atkins is because they don't understand it. They think it is "eggs fried in butter, with bacon and a big steak on the side." A lot of people do atkins and don't even know it.

What is a salad with chicken breast slices?!?!?! you know, that is completely acceptable in atkins. You should be concerned about saturated fat. I buy omega 3 butter, and olive oil a recipe called for some mayo, i used mayo made with olive oil. I tried to put on a shirt 2 weeks ago... it didn't fit me, been on this plan for about a week... and now the shirt fits me, i'd estimate i lost 5-10lbs in 2 weeks.

People also think atkins is low carbs... guess what? ITS NOT. Atkins you slowly increase your carbs over time, untill you find the best carb limit for your body where you're not losing weight or gaining weight. This is the point where your muscles are full of glycogen, not over, and not under, maximum energy for your muscles with out gaining weight... you also get the required protein and fats... Seems pretty optimal to me. I was familiar with the atkins a while back, i recently wanted to do somethings with my diet for optimal performance... i needed to be in ketosis for a little while, so i went to the source the atkins see how it was done. The atkins had more structure than my idea and the end result was the same, so I went with the atkins.

You also need to take fiber supplments. 90% of proteins and fats get digested, so you only are left with 10% of waste which isn't much.

Also keep in mind about net carbs, lets say you eat some broccoli it has "15grams of carbs" and "10 grams of fiber" you subtract the fiber from the carbs, so you're left with 5 net carbs. Fiber is also carbs, but it can't be digested, so it just passes through the body has no effect on insulin.
  • ohthatmomma
    Options
    Have you actually tied proper dieting? How can you say you're "fat" from carbs. Carbs are 4 kcal per gram. It's the same as protein. Granted, protein has a higher thermogenic effect on the body but it's not going to make a huge difference.

Maybe post up your diet/exercise plan for the last few months and then you can find something that is a little healthier than Atkins.

The calorie count is the same as protein, but the break down is different. I read a lot about not consuming too many carbs, Jillian Michaels, Bob Greene, and we all have different body types. I know that carbs has a negative effect on my body. I have minimized the number of carbs and lost a good amout of weight in a short period of time. As soon as I began to eat those foods again, I gained weight. My exercise remained the same, but the increase of carbs changed.

I am trying to find something that works for me. Can't keep battling over the same old six pounds. I want to lose not be stagnant.

I am hoping that some bright light goes off somewhere :-)

Thanks a ton!
  • NinaP2013
    NinaP2013 Posts: 30
    Options
    I'm on atkins. Message me or add me if you have any questions =)
  • registers
    Options

I already stated how atkins is pretty healthy. Carbs spike insulin. This is how it works, You eat carbs so the carbs get converted to glucose and it's in the blood stream, insulin is released to clear the blood of glucose... it stores it in the muscle as glycogen, once the muscles are filled with glycogen it will store the rest as body fat. Protein has the opposite effect, it lowers blood glucose levels, so glucagon is released which pulls out glycogen from the muscle and helps mobilize fat.
  • ohthatmomma
    Options

Well you said "i don't eat tons of meat" that means you eat it, but you don't eat lots of it... What is wrong with just consuming more? I recently bought a zero carb protein shake. I think it's like about 50 grams per serving... I guess you can get in 3 servings a days, but that does cost a lot. I went to the grocery store today checking things out in the meat section... there are a ton of low carb options... they are meat... but not necessary a big steak or chicken parts. I saw these 1 carb hot dogs... I wanted them!!!

The reason people criticize the atkins is because they don't understand it. They think it is "eggs fried in butter, with bacon and a big steak on the side." A lot of people do atkins and don't even know it.

What is a salad with chicken breast slices?!?!?! you know, that is completely acceptable in atkins. You should be concerned about saturated fat. I buy omega 3 butter, and olive oil a recipe called for some mayo, i used mayo made with olive oil. I tried to put on a shirt 2 weeks ago... it didn't fit me, been on this plan for about a week... and now the shirt fits me, i'd estimate i lost 5-10lbs in 2 weeks.

People also think atkins is low carbs... guess what? ITS NOT. Atkins you slowly increase your carbs over time, untill you find the best carb limit for your body where you're not losing weight or gaining weight. This is the point where your muscles are full of glycogen, not over, and not under, maximum energy for your muscles with out gaining weight... you also get the required protein and fats... Seems pretty optimal to me. I was familiar with the atkins a while back, i recently wanted to do somethings with my diet for optimal performance... i needed to be in ketosis for a little while, so i went to the source the atkins see how it was done. The atkins had more structure than my idea and the end result was the same, so I went with the atkins.

You also need to take fiber supplments. 90% of proteins and fats get digested, so you only are left with 10% of waste which isn't much.

Also keep in mind about net carbs, lets say you eat some broccoli it has "15grams of carbs" and "10 grams of fiber" you subtract the fiber from the carbs, so you're left with 5 net carbs. Fiber is also carbs, but it can't be digested, so it just passes through the body has no effect on insulin.

Yes.... Thank you!!! I read earlier online about the deduction of fiber from the carbs. Is this the dietary fiber listing subtracted from the carb?

Also, you are right, not everyone understands Atkins. I was one of those people. I automatically assumed that this was an-all-you-could-eat-meat-and-butter-fest. After reading I realized that I was so wrong. So very wrong.

In fact Atkins diet is no different from Bob Greene's diet, where in Phase 2 all refined AnYTHING is avoided. I wonder why Atkins gets such a bad rap? Anyway, what I like is the fact that I can omit what I believe isn't working for ME. And then add it in bit by bit until I reach that level of exactness for my body.

I think I may be giving this a try.
  • ohthatmomma
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I love MFP!
  • Flossycat100
    Flossycat100 Posts: 103
    Options
    I was always under the impression that Atkins got a bad rep becaus Dr Atkins himself was in such bad shape when he died...dependng on which side of the story you believe anyway.
  • registers
    Options
    I was always under the impression that Atkins got a bad rep becaus Dr Atkins himself was in such bad shape when he died...dependng on which side of the story you believe anyway.

You know what's funny, did he even do his own plan??? no one knows. He was over weight himself, if he did do the plan He wouldn't be over weight.
  • Flossycat100
    Flossycat100 Posts: 103
    Options
    According to his widow and associates he followed his own plan religiously for 43 years. But he also had a history of heart problems, clogged arteries and hypertension, and was overweight when he died (even before the 'bloating' whilst he lay in a coma, which it is claimed tipped him into the 'obese' category).

What I would say is that the 'Atkins Diet' in its original form, ie meat, cheese and butter, looks stupidly dangerous due to its high content of fat and particularly saturates. There's nothing wrong though with eating a diet rich in fruit and vegetables, combined with lean meat and fish and limited quantities of carbs (I get mine through small portions of rice or cous cous, in addition to large quantities of salad and veg). But this isn't technically 'Atkins', just sensible balanced eating.

I think the problem is that when you mention 'Atkins' people assume the unhealthy approach. And hopefully what you're proposing isn't 'Atkins' but a more balanced approach similar to the Paleo diet.
  • registers
    Options
    According to his widow and associates he followed his own plan religiously for 43 years. But he also had a history of heart problems and congested arteries.

What I would say is that the 'Atkins Diet' in its original form, ie meat, cheese and butter, is stupidly dangerous due to its high content of fat and particularly saturates. There's nothing wrong though with eating a diet rich in fruit and vegetables, combined with lean meat and fish and limited quantities of carbs (I get mine through small portions of rice or cous cous, in addition to large quantities of salad and veg). But this isn't technically 'Atkins', just sensible balanced eating.

I think the problem is that when you mention 'Atkins' people assume the unhealthy approach. And hopefully what you're roposing isn't 'Atkins'.

oh yes i agree, a lot of people misinterpret atkins. Like you said, foods high in saturated fats, cholesterol, aren't good for anyone.
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing Atkins, but I am doing Dukan, which is similar. It's lean meat and 0% dairy, but low fat. I'm in Phase Two (One is protein only, Two is alternating days of protein only, then protein & veg til you get to your desired weight, then there are two more phases where 'normal' foods, including carbs, are introduced).

I really like it - as a binge-er, it's perfect for me: who wants to binge on protein? And knowing you can't have sugar, even in fruit (which was actually my biggest problem, as I'd binge on it instead of biscuits/carbs) it's great. I'm a little frightened of the next stages where 'traditional' carbs are reintroduced, but hopefully my bad habit's will have been broken by then.

Most anti low-carb people reflect that the weight'll pile back on when you go back to eating normally, but the weight'll pile back on from any 'diet' when you go back to eating 'normally', if that's back to chocolate, chips, etc., all the time. The only thing I think you need to be aware of weight-wise is with low carb, a few lbs are water loss, which will return once you re-introduce carbs.
  • RangerSteve
    Options

The calorie count is the same as protein, but the break down is different. I read a lot about not consuming too many carbs, Jillian Michaels, Bob Greene, and we all have different body types. I know that carbs has a negative effect on my body. I have minimized the number of carbs and lost a good amout of weight in a short period of time. As soon as I began to eat those foods again, I gained weight. My exercise remained the same, but the increase of carbs changed.

I am trying to find something that works for me. Can't keep battling over the same old six pounds. I want to lose not be stagnant.

I am hoping that some bright light goes off somewhere :-)

Thanks a ton!

You have some misconceptions about carbohydrates. The breakdown isn't that much different. Granted, carbohydrates turn into glucose to be used as energy but fat and protein do the same thing when blood sugar is low and nutrients are needed. This is done through ketosis and gluconeogenesis.

Also, of course you lost weight when you cut carbs out. Carbs hold water. 1g of carbohydrate holds about 3-5 grams of water. If you cut that out, you're going to hold less water. That does't mean you're losing fat, it just means you're going to weigh less on a scale.

The things that "work" for you would be based off of science and not what Jillian Michaels or other unqualified people say. Do it the smart way, not the unhealthy way. You don't need the Atkins diet to lose the last 5 pounds.
  • RangerSteve
    Options

I already stated how atkins is pretty healthy. Carbs spike insulin. This is how it works, You eat carbs so the carbs get converted to glucose and it's in the blood stream, insulin is released to clear the blood of glucose... it stores it in the muscle as glycogen, once the muscles are filled with glycogen it will store the rest as body fat. Protein has the opposite effect, it lowers blood glucose levels, so glucagon is released which pulls out glycogen from the muscle and helps mobilize fat.

Please stop posting mis-information. Thanks.

Like I stated above, fat, protein and carbohydrates can all be converted into glucose. The only difference is that it's easier with carbohydrate based foods. Also, insulin spikes are fine, especially at certain times of the day when blood sugar is low and nutrients are needed.
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    According to his widow and associates he followed his own plan religiously for 43 years. But he also had a history of heart problems and congested arteries.

What I would say is that the 'Atkins Diet' in its original form, ie meat, cheese and butter, is stupidly dangerous due to its high content of fat and particularly saturates. There's nothing wrong though with eating a diet rich in fruit and vegetables, combined with lean meat and fish and limited quantities of carbs (I get mine through small portions of rice or cous cous, in addition to large quantities of salad and veg). But this isn't technically 'Atkins', just sensible balanced eating.

I think the problem is that when you mention 'Atkins' people assume the unhealthy approach. And hopefully what you're roposing isn't 'Atkins'.

oh yes i agree, a lot of people misinterpret atkins. Like you said, foods high in saturated fats, cholesterol, aren't good for anyone.

This is also completely false. Saturated fat is fine for people and dietary cholesterol doesn't automatically raise your blood cholesterol. Please read up on your "facts" before posting. Thanks.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

I'm doing Atkins now. It is completely sustainable, healthy and safe. You can block the anit-low carb posts stalkers on here! I don't because I find their false perceptions amusing. Vegans and vegiterreans can do Atkins, so it shouldn't be a problem for you at all, if you eat just a little meat. In fact, keep your meat portions average. Atkins doesn't say eat a 12 oz steak for every meal. Do you like fish? Tuna fish on a salad is a good option! Also, eggs. I get some fiber from vegetables, but sometimes I eat a flax seed muffin. (do a search for Muffin in a Minute--it's a really simple recipe). Do you have a list of the acceptable foods for Induction? It's in the books, but basicly they recommend getting at least 12 of your NET carbs from veggies and salads. You can also have 4 oz of cheese (NOT reduced fat) a day. I sautee vegetables in olive oil. Squash and onions are my favorite side! If you would like help, you can friend me! Good luck!
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

You know what's funny, did he even do his own plan??? no one knows. He was over weight himself, if he did do the plan He wouldn't be over weight.

This is misinformation. The truth is, Dr. Atkins was 6 ft. tall and 195, and 72 years old when he was admitted to the hospital after slipping on some ice on his way to work in NYC. This was according to his medical records that his widow released to the press. His birth certificate list him at 258 after being in a coma for over a week, due to bloating, etc. In March 2007, Newsweek magazine published an opinion piece by Dr. Dean Ornish which contained untruths, which were later retracted by the magazine. (http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/atkinsdiet/a/dratkinsdeath.htm)
  • registers
    Options

Please stop posting mis-information. Thanks.

Like I stated above, fat, protein and carbohydrates can all be converted into glucose. The only difference is that it's easier with carbohydrate based foods. Also, insulin spikes are fine, especially at certain times of the day when blood sugar is low and nutrients are needed.
    I don't know how physiology is wrong... i stated how it works. Ketones aren't glucose... ketones are ketones... Whatever glucose is used is from gluconeogenesis. As you said it's "easier" for it to be converted from carbs... the easier it is the faster insulin will spike... Spiking insulin to high can cause fat