HELP PLEASE. Anti-inflammatory diet

Options
Other then filling up one more omega-3's fish beets ginger in general eating well I don't really know what to do here. I already consumed very low amounts of both sodium and sugar and basically stay away from meat or anything GMO if I can help it. If any views of had to go on this type of diet and can either give me links or diet suggestions it would be really appreciated. Basically I do this or… Well let's not talk about that

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Did a dr tell you to follow a specific diet because of inflammation? Shouldn't there be more specific guidelines?
    I have heard of foods that might have anti-inflammatory properties, like red fruit, tomatoes and olive oil, but I am guessing whether there will be a benefit depends on what you are dealing with?
  • paisiovich
    paisiovich Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Here's the scoop. A year and a half ago I got shorter breath on a side road decided to go to emerge for the first time in my life and they told me I was in heart block stage III they kept me overnight and I basically self healed without medication. The university hospital that specializes in cardiac had me send to them the next day which I spent three weeks with them running test and they had no idea how I went into hardluck stage III much less Selfield within 24 hours without meds. I was told in order to drive I had to take on a pacemaker. It's been a year and after a couple of pet scan's MRIsand countless other tests they are telling me that they are 99% sure that I have cardiac sarcoidosis.

So here I am a man that has been fit all of his life been going to Boot Camp training for 2 1/2 years suddenly ends up with the pacemaker and now being told they want to take that one out and put in a pacemaker with a defibrillator. The thing the size of an iPhone and they don't really know 100% other than the fact that if my heart goes into a stutter I have one in 10 chance of dropping dead in the street. Great bedside manner these guys. It also states that I have about five here's left.

So I'm trying to be positive and do the best I can on my end to help the situation. And yes I did read that tomatoes and olive oil were also good things.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Also look heart healthy diets. Lots of greens and beans.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Variety of fresh foods. Lots of fruits and veggies in particular.
    http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/PAG00361/anti-inflammatory-food-pyramid.html
  • paisiovich
    Options
    Thank you
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Did you mean third degree heart block? That is a conduction defect that CAN be caused by certain medications that is entirely reversible.

However, since they put in a pacemaker you have the ultimate treatment for third degree heart block.

Why the need for anti-inflammatory diet?
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I expect you should speak to a nutritionist. That being said, I have chronic bursitis and lower back issues, and I find supplementing with turmeric (a good supplement that includes black pepper), works better on the inflammation. I do still use ginger sometimes, but the turmeric is working for me. I took both for awhile.
  • paisiovich
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    Did you mean third degree heart block? That is a conduction defect that CAN be caused by certain medications that is entirely reversible.

However, since they put in a pacemaker you have the ultimate treatment for third degree heart block.

Why the need for anti-inflammatory diet?

They've had me on prednisone for the last year and a half because they believe my heart is swollen.... I suspect they will take me off this week... That being said .... From what I've read this far is to embrace lifestyle diet. They are telling after a pet scan and ultra sound that they are 99% positive I have cardiac sarcoidosis ..... I've gone through life completely healthy and fit and then...BOOM! You've got less then 5 years to live...lol great bed side manner these guys.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    GMO's have nothing to do with inflammation. Honestly, 2 of the staple GMO crops are soy and canola, both of which associated with lower CVD, so the tendency would be for GMO's to be heart healthy if anything.

• Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I expect you should speak to a nutritionist. That being said, I have chronic bursitis and lower back issues, and I find supplementing with turmeric (a good supplement that includes black pepper), works better on the inflammation. I do still use ginger sometimes, but the turmeric is working for me. I took both for awhile.

I second the tumeric and ginger. I cook with it and make tea. There is a great smootbie/yogurt drink that has tumeric in it. Good luck and sorry to hear about your condition.

Oh and you can find more information or the food and recipes on pinterest.
  • chickenz
    chickenz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Dr. Weil's website is great and has lots of recipes, guidelines
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would go to marksdailyapple.com and use the search engine. Your comments make me afraid for you. I'll be praying FWIW.
  • Andrewcpimpin
    Andrewcpimpin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Add some cherries they are a natural antiinfamatory also ginger.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I agree with turmeric and ginger, I take them for my inflammation and pain and they definitely help. Add them to hot milk and you get a gorgeous spicy yet soothing drink. It's known as golden milk
  • paisiovich
    Options
    Well getting up this morning with it being family day here in Canada it seems I've got a tighter knit group of family on fitness pal then anywhere else when it comes to getting help. I can't thank you enoug well getting up this morning with it being family day here in Canada it seems I've got a tighter knit group of family on fitness pal then anywhere else when it comes to getting help. I can't thank all of you enough for all of your input. I am very strict on my current diet having been going to Boot Camp and heavy conditioning for the last few years and most of my life so changing my diet and my lifestyle as pertaining to a diet is not a difficult thing for me to do. I will research everything that all of you have given to me thus far and seriously… It is overwhelmingly greatly appreciated.

And as far as you all being worried about me… Worry not! I said 23 years ago when my father died of cancer that I would never ever go out that way so the Lord has in fact granted me with a condition where I will be able to live life to the fullest until the day I just drop… No pain. Love you all and bless you
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Okay...
    First, this gal actually has an anti-inflammatory cookbook, that eliminates some foods, and adds some foods in, for that purpose. She has a disorder which causes a lot of inflammation, so it's one of those personal quest developed cookbooks. But she also used to be an investigative journalist and just switched that expertise to this sort of thing when she got sick. http://thelowhistaminechef.com

Second, based on research, the following foods can cause more inflammation due to a variety of reasons: dairy, grains, legumes, nuts and seeds, nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant).

However - just because they can doesn't mean they do for YOU. It's kind of individual. Healthy people typically don't notice a problem. Some of the foods can have OTHEr aspects that can work against inflammation as well and make it an moot point. But for some people, there is a HUGE difference dropping some of these foods. It's just good to be aware, pay attention when you eat them, and see how you are feeling, you know?

Third, something that may help in your dietary exploration. One common mediator that causes inflammation is called prostaglandin. This is released from mast cells when they degranulate. However, there are flavonoids that are mast cell stabilizing and therefore can make them less likely to degranulate, and therefore can sometimes impact inflammation. The flavonoids are found in leaves, fruits, and veggies, typically.

But they can also be found in supplements now, or even in some teas (such as guava leaf tea or olive leaf tea). Three of the most studied are quercetin, luteolin, and rutin - you can find a lot of studies on these and mast cell stabilization or effects on inflammation (although if a study is looking at something like this, often the study doesn't mention the plant itself except by it's latin name, or by the chemical compound studied in it).

I've also seen a bit of research on frankincense, of all things - seems to have some compounds that impact inflammation.

I have a disorder with mast cell involvement too, and I've started increasing mast stabilizing compounds - like using olive leaf tea. It's made a difference for me, at least. I hope something is able to work well for you, too!