FITBIT ALTA :-)

Options
Hi,
I've pre ordered the fitbit alta that's due out in the UK in April. I wondered if there was anyone who has used a fitbit?
I know it's compatible with MFP.. is it any good?
Are there any probs syncing?
Does it really keep you motivated for exercising?

Replies

• MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I just bought a fibit charge hr since I cant wait until Mid March for the Alta. I bought a plan so that I can just return it to the store. Im still hesitant to buy it because I am worried there may be some kinks in it. Ill just wait until i see the reviews.
  • rattiemomma
    rattiemomma Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The Alta is so nice-looking. I've had a Flex for a while and am thinking about upgrading. I'm not sure, yet. What color did you order?

The most common complaints I've seen are about either the tracker not syncing or the battery not charging/running too quickly. I haven't had these issues. Charge HR users seem to have different set of problems, but I've never used one, so I can't speak to that.

I've never had a true syncing problem but sometimes you don't see the most current information on your app when you first sync, but if you select the "tile" for that data, you will probably see the correct info on the page that comes up. When you go back to the main dashboard, the info will probably be there. You might need to do this a few times. I have some issues with manually logged exercise and custom calorie info not showing up in the app, but I suspect it is just an app issue. And I've posted about it in the Fitbit Help forum. An answer may still present itself. The data is all fine on the web-based dashboard.

Based on my experiences with Fitbit, I do have a few recommendations:

KEEP your receipt/order confirmation/packaging/warranty card! If you do need a replacement tracker or band, it will be much easier to deal with customer service. They are awesome with helping customers whose products are still under warranty. I was out-of-warranty when I had a major problem and the best I got was a coupon for a discount on a new tracker. Meh.

If you have any problems, start your hunt for answers in the Fibit Help Forums. I didn't know about it until recently. There is tons of information already there, and you can post questions you can't find answers to and get answers from both Fitbit moderators and active, knowledgeable forum members. Lots of "problems" are just due to incorrect settings or fairly crappy and confusing usability choices by Fitbit.

Get a Bluetooth tracking app for your phone. People say they lose their trackers and an app can help you track it down. I only dropped my tracker without the band once in my own house and I probably wouldn't have found it for ages without one.

Good luck!
    -Rattie
  • Luccee66
    Luccee66 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the surge and have had no problems syncing with myfitnesspal and I love it. Best gift ever, I keep saying money well spent
  • missbrindley
    missbrindley Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks rattiemomma that was really helpful advise!! Really excited now to get it.
    I've bought it in black... did want the stainless steel but it's an addition £79 for the strap! Il probably save up and get that next xx
  • rattiemomma
    rattiemomma Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I want that, too! But, if I did spend $130US to get an Alta, it would be a long, long time or never before I spent another $99US for the bracelet. Maybe as a goal present. But then I'd probably want to use the money toward clothes!

Incidentally, Fitbit calls it a bangle, which implies that it slips over the hand, but it does, in fact, have a hinge and a clasp. This wording is annoying some people like me who can't wear bangles (big hands, normal wrists) and thought the silver bracelet wouldn't be an option for them. And it's annoying to people who really wanted an actual bangle because they either like the style or didn't want to worry about a clasp opening.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yowsas, it's $200 here in Australia. I'll wait til I hear some solid reviews from people here.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Love fitbit. Started with the zip in 2013 and I'm using the Surge now. I'm actually planning to get the Blaze which comes out exactly 1 month from today according to Amazon. The bands are starting to break on my Surge and the Blaze is slightly cheaper then the Surge with replaceable bands (a feature the Surge could benefit from).

Occasionally there are glitches with the syncing, but all the devices get effected by random syncing issues from time to time.

Mine definitely keeps me motivated. It helps me see how being inactive or active impacts my calories burned.